Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Motor cutting out

Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Pigflyer

Default Motor cutting out

I'm working with my first brushless engine and a new ESC. My problem is this. When I start out everything is working as designed. All controls function correctly and the engine revs up. But if I throttle back the stick to stop the engine I can't restart the engine until I've disconnected one of the battery wires to the ESC and reconnected it. Then the engine will operate again normally. Is this some kind of safety feature on some ESCs that won't let the engine restart without breaking and reconnecting the battery circuit? This is a problem when practicing deadstick landings and you need to power up again. I never experienced this problem with my brushed engines.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

I've never seen that with brushless motors either. More information might help. What motor, ESC, battery and radio gear are you using ?

Steve
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I had a similar problem like that myself before. It was with a RTF plane and the problem was actually with my Radio, not the ESC. When I went to throttle down, she worked just fine, but when I throttled up the stick wasn't working...almost like it wasn't "catching" or sending the input to my plane. I ended up sending it back and they replaced, but never told me exactly what the problem was. Have you tried using the same radio on a different model?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Pigflyer

Sorry, I should have given you all that info. The radio is a Spektrum DX5e with an AR500 receiver. The motor is a Power Up 2410-09Y brushless from Headsuprc with a 20 Amp Power Up ESC and a 2 cell Lipo battery 1300 mAh 7.4v battery. Hope this might help with a suggestion about what is going on.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Pigflyer

Thank you Angler-Hi for the idea that the radio may be the problem. You may be right. Today I used a different Power Up 20A ESC and got the same results. Tomorrow I plan on using another DX5e radio and matched receiver to see if the problem repeats itself. Then maybe I can pinpoint either the radio or possibly the receiver being the problem. I'll let you know what I learn.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well good luck to you friend. I hope you get her figured out, let us know what you find.

Mike
Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Pigflyer

After running every test I could dream up, I finally decided the problem is in the transmitter. I eliminated the ESC, battery, and engine as a source of the problem and finally tested everything again with a different DX5e transmitter. Everything checked out good. I called Horizon Hobby product support and they agreed that it sounded to them like it was a gimbal problem in the transmitter. So the transmitter is boxed up and will be shipped back for repairs tomorrow. Thanks for the help and letting me use everyone as a sounding board. Sometimes it just helps to talk about a problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Glad to help Pigflyer. Hopefully they will get you a new one sent to you soon friend. Good winds.

Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Tall
Josh

I use a lot of heads up r/cs items. Jeff is great to work with. But I do have to same problems with their speed controllers.

I used a brushed motor slowstick, and my funjet runs castle creations, no problems for months. But when i use the power up esc, sometimes it just cuts out on rev up like that. I tossed my superfly in the air today right as the motor shut down. No damage, just tossed it in the air again with no problems for the rest of my flights.

I converted my slowstick to Brushless with the same ESC, I just figured it was that. Maybe there is a setting I can change to fix that problem...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Pigflyer

I agree. Jeff at Headsuprc is great to work with, Very responsive to questions and problems. As I stated before I was able to eliminate the ESC as the culprit by using a like item and testing it in the system. I had some past throttle advance problems with my radio in the past but I didn't put it all together until Angler-Hi suggested that it may be a radio problem. That is the benefit of this webb site. So much experience and people willing to offer a kind suggestion. I hope you find the solution to your problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

This web site truly is a great place to get world's of advice as well as make great friends! Lots of good folks here...just glad you got it all worked out friend.

Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

d

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-27-2009 at 03:38 AM.