Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hello 👋

Old 06-25-2021, 08:17 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Hello 👋

I am a new member, and also new to the hobby. I know I am going to make mistakes, but I hope I can learn here. I also hope to be able to help others at the same time.

I have decided I am an anti-social git 👍, tied up with work and with no social life whatsoever. So I have joined an arts and crafts club, but have all the artistic ability of a dead cockroach. I need to do something, so I decided to do a physical project, and making a balsa model aircraft came to mind. I have no experience building or flying one of these.....🤔

I ordered a J3 Piper Cub. And that will be here at some point. But I thought I would start with something more basic, am terrified of teaching myself to fly from scratch... .. but I have a cunning plan.... Order a radio compatible with a flight sim, and build a Sopwith pup for practice of building finishing and learning to fly.

I have everything for it except a battery and a charger. I will be 3d printing some bits, and while developing my artistic side (Bah, Humbug) I hope to learn to paint a half right RFC colour scheme....

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble, but just thought I should introduce myself properly, and practice social skills😜

Last edited by The Professor; 06-25-2021 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Adding a picture (hopefully)
Old 06-25-2021, 11:50 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello Professor and welcome to Wattflyer.

Glad to see you are approaching RC Flying from the electric side. It is much easier than starting with a fuel powered engine. Just charge your battery and go fly.

There is a wealth of information here about getting started in electric flying. I suggest going to the forums that apply to you and there will be sticky threads that will help you in many ways. There are threads that assist in building Balsa kits, threads about electric motors and all the needed equipment to install them in your airplane and make them work You can read these at your leisure and the pointers given will keep you from making the beginner mistakes.

Your idea about using a sim to practice before flying is a good idea also. The best thing to do would be to find an experienced flyer to help you in the build and learning to fly. There are probably clubs in your area and most RC flyers are very helpful because we all want newcomers to be successful in this hobby.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions here and good luck with your new endeavor.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:52 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
... new to the hobby. ...
I would shelve that Pup, for now.
Training/trainer suggestions:
Advice for getting into flying RC airplanes, and how not to - The Ampeer

... I am a new member, and also new to the hobby. I know I am going to make mistakes, but I hope I can learn here. ...
This will prevent a lot of mistakes, some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including e-flight_101 & 102, and some handy e-tools.
Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter.
It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup and help you troubleshooting. A must have.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:55 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

And since you're an engineer, motorcurrent is proportional to voltage squared
Even seemingly small changes in power system can have massive effects. The relationships are very simple.
Some expensive realistic and extremely silly examples, hopefully instructive as well.

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 06-30-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:11 AM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Beginnings.....

So.

I have a few motors, ESCs, batteries, smart chargers, receivers, paintbrushes, and stuff on order.

I allocated a 'get started budget and I am about 1.50 over.. maybe 15 if I am honest.

There is a reason to all, I am used to having spare components. I have multimeters, scopes and I work and lecture in electronics, so theory and tools are covered.........

But the pup has a purpose ..... It would appear I have to bend sheets of balsa into a curve..... How the Smeg do I do that?

I have to 'bind' the remote? Sounds a bit like a Soho club, so I have to find out what that means....

Then with my artistic abilities I have to learn how to paint ...... I reckon I could be as good as an Egyptian tomb painter. .... They have been dead for thousands of years, and they can still outpaint me....

The pup is for me to to make mistakes with.....

Then I can get things right. But will have a look at a watt meter......

I also could do with am RC dictionary.... You guys have your own language!!!!!
Old 06-26-2021, 12:19 AM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Watt Meter

I have just ordered a wattmeter. So add another 10 to my over budget budget ........

If that makes sense 😂

I guess I will find out why I have bought this, once I have the destructions to read 🤔
Old 07-01-2021, 10:12 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
I would shelve that Pup, for now.
Training/trainer suggestions:
Advice for getting into flying RC airplanes, and how not to - The Ampeer

This will prevent a lot of mistakes, some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including e-flight_101 & 102, and some handy e-tools.
Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter.
It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup and help you troubleshooting. A must have.

I have now got a watt meter 😁

So I am improving.... The Pup is still being built, but not because I am ignoring you all, but because I want to see how balsa models are put together.

It may not ever fly, in fact it has two possible outcomes, one is to be suspended from my bedroom ceiling by fishing wire..... The other option is that it dies is a screaming tailspin 😯
Old 07-01-2021, 10:23 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

... The other option is that it dies is a screaming tailspin 😯
I would not worry about that happening with that type of RC model

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 07-02-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:27 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

If you want to save your first balsa model that will be used for your first RC flight, you need to suspend it from the ceiling. First flight airplanes flown by brand new RC pilots usually do not fare well. You can fly them well when they are going away from you but you eventually have to turn them around and fly them back toward you. Until your brain adapts to having to move the controls in the reverse direction, bad things can happen.

There are ways around this. One is the use of RC Flight sims, as you mentioned. Not like Microsoft flight sims, because you are always sitting in the pilots seat facing forward. Another method is to purchase a cheaper foam based RC model trainer that is an ARF. These will usually hold up to the abuse of a beginning pilot and save your balsa model for later when you become more adapt with your flying.