Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

New receiver and transmitter for HZ Champ

Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Gingerwill

Default New receiver and transmitter for HZ Champ

My friends insearch of a new Tx+Rx so he can add a FlyCam One Eco V2 to his champ, he's got a budget of about 30-35 and it's gotta be 4ch and it also must fit in the champ. We looked at the Spektrum Dx5e but thats too expensive. Sadly he can't order from Nitroplanes and towerhobbies because we live in the UK and don't won't to pay expensive shipping :S and customs duty
Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

I believe the champ uses an all in one "brick" that acts as rx, esc, and if I'm not mistaken servos as well. Any after market components to replace what's there would be too heavy for the 1 ounce champ to deal with.
If he wants to do some video he would need to move up to a larger platform.
Cheapest plane that I can think of to do the job well is the hawk sky.
Or alternatively, buy a Cheapo keychain camera, remove the housing, and use that on the champ.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

I just this morning attached a 806 keycam to the bottom of my champ and had success! The keycam can be purchased for about $15 (got mine on eBay). That's about the most the champ could handle weight wise!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
wolfewinde

You can bind the Champ to another radio that has the same technology without getting a new receiver. You just follow the same proceedure you used on the Champ radio. I switched mine over to my Spectrum DX6i so I can buddy box it for my grandkids and it works just fine.

Wolfe
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

And although you'll have to spend the equivalent of $50 for a DX5e you won't believe the increase in control quality. Suddenly everything will be so much smoother you'd never go back. You can bind any DX5e to your plane. It's the most economical full range transmitter you can buy for the Champ.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

The champ will work only with Spektrum brand DSM2 transmitters. If you plan to stick with the hobby, then skip the DX5e and get the DX6i. The 6i will fly any plane or helicopter I'd expect you could handle within the next couple years. You'll like the computer controls and modelmatch memory.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Well the DX5e is better than any radio I ever used in the 1980s. We sure didn't lose interest in flying because we didn't have computer radios! That was science fiction stuff then and we would have dreamed of a radio as good as the DX5e.

The difference between the DX5e and DX6i is features, not quality. They're both great radios. Someone with a DX5e won't have less fun.

Hey, where's all these dirt cheap 6i's that are supposed to be hitting the market because of the new radios? I just am not seeing a flood of them!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

true...until you get more than one plane...then you will have to rebind, resetup, retrim each time you change planes...

...i like to use '...' ... ...