Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Easy Star Vs Wild Hawk, Easy Star

Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Default Easy Star Vs Wild Hawk, Easy Star

Too anxious pay the price..<>..

Leave it to me to check a new plane on durability, the Wild Hawk finally arrived in working condition as first didn't respond to receiver, took along time but Radiantech was great in replacing things, but the rudder was broken, no biggie but I made a quick a fix anxious to try it out, Wild Hawk flew absolutely great for minutes then the tape fix came lose on the rudder and she turned in, not too bad but enough to fracture the bottom nose, a very easy fix, my total error, not the planes, but noticed with angle landing the less durable foam of the Wild Hawk refuses to take much abuse, now the Easy Star has thumped in much harder in heavy winds and no damages todate, Easy Star uses a different resilant foam and certainly worth it, was just pondering on newbies first ventures often several input errors afraid the Wild Hawk would fold up quickly, so Easy Star thumbs up on my abuse, your great, Wild Hawk, even tho a short flight and again my error it flew super, but be careful, it crumples easily so new flyer beware, the Easy Star worth considering in the long run...both excellent flyers tho...if your more careful than I, either ones a true winner, nice..<>..

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds
Stryker C
Multiplex Easy Star, Wild Hawk, great Sunday Flyers
Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I think the fact that the plane arrived with many problems and required repairs before you even flew it speaks poorly of the product. Based on your report I would not recommend it to anyone.

The Easy Star gets constant good reports.

I just took on a new student. He followed my advice and got an Easy Star. He was solo in an hour.

Great plane, great durability, great value for the money.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Really? Lack of durability isn't something I could ever complain about with my Hawk. Of course, prior to the first flight, I reinforced both the wings and fuse with packing tape as a precaution. After a few flights, I also added a bit of water-proof duct-tape to the nose (mostly for durability, but also to help cover some dirt stains ).

But if the Easy Star is much tougher than the Wild Hawk, then that must be one indestructible plane. As I've mentioned before, I've crashed my Hawk through trees, gone in nose first so hard that the battery ejected through the canopy, and even cartwheeled it when landing in a gusty environment a couple of times, and I'm still looking at it right now with no appreciable damage. Worst thing I ever did to it was tear off the cheap-o rear landing gear wheel, and I just used that opportunity to put in a larger one on a wire springer.

Again, though--sorry to hear you've had yet a bit more trouble with yours. I guess QC really is a grab bag with the WH. I still maintain, though, that at $70 shipped it's one of the best values in RC flight out there today. Provided, of course, that you don't receive the plane in ridiculously-damaged condition (which apparently IS a possibility).
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Are issues with inexpensive flyers, some better than others, just be cautious..

Well to check out the reports prior to purchases, tho the Wild Hawk does have nice flying ability, its a modest price but not near the plane as Easy Star, are actually favorable reports on the Wild Hawk, I was unlucky to get a fluke at the start, then the replacment had a broken rudder, not a major thing but shows low quality releases on this one, but even with its issues, it certainly will fly well...

Had the Easy Star up this early evening right at 6 PM, abit late but darn plane found some light lift, then a hawk flying lazily acorss the sky waaay up there, I ventured under this fella and rewarded with some stronger thermal, Easy Star was up several mintues thanks to this feathered friend, he noticed me and ventured away but left me to enjoy a nice ride, was fantastic...<>...Best

gzsfrk

Hi, the Wild Hawk will certainly fly extremely well for such a modest price, I was just unfortunate to run into some early issues, my Wild Hawk has a minor crack in the front even tho a glancing blow on the landing, if I paid heed and taped the front would be no fix at the moment, too anxious to get this one up, my mistake, but truly the Easy Star has taken some noted thumps as flew in over 10 and 15 MPH winds early prior to getting the feel of flying a sailplane again, the foam is a much better grade, it will still break but Easy Stars flexability gives the added advantage, liking both of these planes at the moment, enjoying having these to test out, finding thermals again is really rewarding as been along time, a real treat...BEST

Last edited by phillipmorris; 04-30-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I belong to a glider club. Once the pilots learn the basics on the Easy Star, we then work on thermaling. It has an excellent glide.

I have a glider from the same makers as the wild hawk. Quality problems with that one too. Great value package for the money but I can't recommend it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

My sum up on the Wild Hawk is with caution, it certainly is a bargain, but yes the Easy Star is the strong canditate, no comparison..I witnessed a few glider club competitions and these flyers are nothing short of amazing, apologize for repeating this as posted in other threads but in awe saw a skilled pilot fly only few feet off the ground in total negative lift other than micro thermals, turns out he did world competiton, all the other flyers at that moment fell down in 2 minutes of pure down suction negative lift conditions, but he mangaed to max the 10 minute duration and even downwind came back and landed 9 minutes .5999 seconds with the nose on the dime target, makes you feel humble to view such skill...and this ship was the years ago very heavy Sailaire, Europeans were killing us with there penetrating gliders back in that time period, anyway Sailaire was a huge monster, nothing but lumber near plus 140 to 150 inch span...majestic in flight never foget watching these monsters of the sky...<>..I would call them the titantic in sailplanes, were many larger then and even now but these were pure lumber wagons..hi hi..<>..

If your still there what ship would you consider after the Easy Star on gliders, would like to stay near 2 meter at the moment for intown flights...tnx in advance...BEST