Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

Rogallo Wing Design

Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 AM
NiineZeta

Default Rogallo Wing Design

(also posted this question in RC groups but cannot find an answer)
Hi, can someone please help me understand how the changes in the dimensions and design of the basic rogallo wing will affect its flight characteristics. For example, how does a longer aspect ratio and smaller billows on the trailing edge compare to one with a lower aspect ratio and deeper billows? I'm hoping to build a rogallo type wing that can carry a small camera and make it maneuverable and slow enough to fly in smaller areas. And, as far as I know, I can only change the following things: wing span, wing area and billow size as shown by the images I included. Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rogallo1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	181221   Click image for larger version

Name:	rogallo2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	181222  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Effective wing area of the Rogallo wing is based on the triangle formed by the frame, not the area of the sailcloth.

You narrow it and only change the V angle of the nose but leave everything else the same and you will be reducing wing area. The fabric forming deeper "partial cones" will act to direct air more effectively to the rear and it will want to go faster but will have lower payload capability.

for low speed and high lift you want a wide spread and relatively tight fabric.

Play with a few small "chuck glider" models from bamboo skewers and Saran Wrap. (materials chosen for extreme low cost, not because they are the best choices for weight and durability)
Old 08-11-2015, 04:33 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Easy to adjust, just by changing the length of an adjustable cross beam. Used to have and fly one of those full sized suckers way back when.
Also towed it up behind a snow machine with a couple of hundred ft. of polypropylene clothesline. The things you do to try to kill yourself, but big fun.