Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Horten Bros Ho-229...in "Five Easy Piece"

Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Another Raiders flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADupMIEaT4k
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Crashed the NAZI Raider…into my right leg.
Broke the wing. Only thing holding it on was the CR and some HG. Tossed it back up and it flew with a wee bit o trim to the left wing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJ-IoBt0n4
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Las flight of my first "Five Easy Piece" Ho-229

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SkzSRx4RA
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Lost my 95 year-old Dad in December.
Haven't had much time or interest in building anything since.
When I do, and I will, I'm thinking about doing the Horten Crescent wing.
Notice how much the Horten wing looks like the UFO Ken Arnold saw over Mt Rainier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Horten Parabola wing.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	172818   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArnoldUFO.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	172819  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bobdaeronort View Post
Lost my 95 year-old Dad in December.
Haven't had much time or interest in building anything since.
When I do, and I will, I'm thinking about doing the Horten Crescent wing.
Notice how much the Horten wing looks like the UFO Ken Arnold saw over Mt Rainier.
Sorry to hear about your Dad, 95 years old, Wow, He lived a long life, He was given the Crown of Glory My father is 85 years old and still going strong I will be 60 this year, and I am Grateful to still have Him and My Mother around, Looking Forward to your Horten flying wing build, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

NASA's Dryden flight center rethinking the wing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0I6...DWnmyw&index=1
Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

I know I said I was going to retire her but like a faithful old dog she keeps jumping in the truck when I head to the flying fields.
Here is gray sky flight over the Meadows field from last week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-HhGcS1I8
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Sorry to hear about your Dad, 95 years old, Wow, He lived a long life, He was given the Crown of Glory My father is 85 years old and still going strong I will be 60 this year, and I am Grateful to still have Him and My Mother around, Looking Forward to your Horten flying wing build, Take care, Chellie
It's good that you still have them to look after. I turn 60 myself next January. My mother passed away when I was 15. My Dad was very special to me. You might say he was my hero in many ways. He was jack of all trades and never knew a stranger. He always understated his abilities. A strong, gentle, and sentimental man. Women just loved him. I miss him every day.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Sorry about your Dad. I lost my Dad a few years ago at 88. Sad to see this greatest generation go. I did get to spend a little time with him before he passed on and it was funny how he liked to talk about his Army Air Force days and his B-24 Lib crew. He was a Tech Sarge.

Growing up , he rarely talked about it but near the end , he talked about his wartime experiences a lot. I think many of those who fought in WW-II suppressed a lot of feelings and many probably had some post war trauma that just never went detected.

He could MacGyver just about anything and despised the throw-away and replace culture that evolved. Taught me a lot. I can still hear his voice when I'm doing a home repair: " David ?" - "You're about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle " -LOL

Great Americans
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Like a good old dog the Horten wing keeps jumping in the truck when I head to the field.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_OzuOhbS8
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Another flight of the Ho-229 in the cold winter skies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8H95-uwoAw
Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thanks Chellie.
Make sure you hug your Dad and Mom today.
bob
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Horten glide testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1K2m7mc_lI[/QUOTE]

"Oh yeah, I know that flying wings are real touchy about their center of gravity, so I better test glide the one I just spent hours/days/weeks building by throwing it over this huge flight of concrete stairs just to be sure it wont crash..."

Last edited by FlyWheel; 03-29-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
"Oh yeah, I know that flying wings are real touchy about their center of gravity, so I better test glide the one I just spent hours/days/weeks building by throwing it over this huge flight of concrete stairs just to be sure it wont crash..." [/QUOTE]
Actually it took two hours to build the glider once I had developed the pattern.
No guts no glory.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Thanks Chellie.
And here's another Flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAT3JzO7Y3c
It'd been even nicer if he had shown the plane before he launched it. Very few flight videographers seem to realize just how tiny and hard-to-see their models are when taken from the ground without the use of telephoto (which would take a really really skilled videographer!!).

NASA's Dryden flight center rethinking the wing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0I6...DWnmyw&index=1
That was fascinating, I knew the winglets reduced wing vortices, but I always thought they did so by acting like a dam, not actually creating lift of their own! Didn't quite understand how this worked when they were horizontal though...

"Oh yeah, I know that flying wings are real touchy about their center of gravity, so I better test glide the one I just spent hours/days/weeks building by throwing it over this huge flight of concrete stairs just to be sure it wont crash..."
Actually it took two hours to build the glider once I had developed the pattern.
No guts no glory.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got no guts at all, I test glide over the softest grassiest slope I can find! (Cluck-cluck, Buk-awk!) But then it takes me a little longer than two hours to build one too.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 03-30-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
It'd been even nicer if he had shown the plane before he launched it. Very few flight videographers seem to realize just how tiny and hard-to-see their models are when taken from the ground without the use of telephoto (which would take a really really skilled videographer!!).

That was fascinating, I knew the winglets reduced wing vortices, but I always thought they did so by acting like a dam, not actually creating lift of their own! Didn't quite understand how this worked when they were horizontal though...

No guts no glory.
Yeah, I got no guts at all, I test glide over the softest grassiest slope I can find! (Cluck-cluck, Buk-awk!) But then it takes me a little longer than two hours to build one too.[/QUOTE]
Well my very first glide attempts are over grass. It seems all the good grassy slopes I can access around here are equally covered in trees . But I tend to build one to experiment with and as a glider then build a second one to refine the first and add power and gizmos.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

A brief sunset spin with the H0-229

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWyepdDA2aw
Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

HORTEN Crescent Flying Wing
Maiden Flight and crashes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMFdXoF1GI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Horten Cresent@9.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	177316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horten Cresent@10H.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	177317  
Old 05-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Horten with onboard DVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMGCa76drW8
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Lgel

Hello Bob,

I resume now my building and flying season. I built a Mesa BF2 and was highly impressed by it's flight.

I am interested in flying wings that in my short experience are far more efficient than parkjets.

What motor, prop and battery would you recommend for your 60 " WS wing?

I have flown the 40 " WS Mesa B2 with a 2200 kv 2826/6, 6x4 prop and a 2200 mah battery.

Would your Horten scaled down to 40 " (printing it at 67 %) fly with this combination?
My EU car is rather small!

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by Lgel View Post
Hello Bob,

I resume now my building and flying season. I built a Mesa BF2 and was highly impressed by it's flight.

I am interested in flying wings that in my short experience are far more efficient than parkjets.

What motor, prop and battery would you recommend for your 60 " WS wing?

I have flown the 40 " WS Mesa B2 with a 2200 kv 2826/6, 6x4 prop and a 2200 mah battery.

Would your Horten scaled down to 40 " (printing it at 67 %) fly with this combination?
My EU car is rather small!

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers.
The "Five Easy Piece" H0rten 229 is scaleable and should be a fine aircraft at 67%.
I fly my 60" Horten with a 2200kv motor on a 6x4 prop with a 1350mah 3S Li-Po.
It does just fine and has mor than enough power. Be careful with the "5EZP" Horten's tail. When assembling the Horten it is easy to warp the tail. If it is deflected down it will act like an elevator and put the wing into the ground. so assemble the Horten with the tail taped together only. Place and secure the carbon rod crossing behind the motor mount and the carbon rods along the wing leading edges then un-tape the tail to see if the to wing halves want to overlap at the tail. If they do then cut a new centerline in the middle of the tail overlap and reattach the tail halves. I have mine Horten's tail ever so slightly curved up. I recommend a thin wire be imbedded in the tail at the centerline to hold it's deflection up. The slight upward trim will be better at launch than a downward trim. Happy Flying!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Lgel

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your explanations and building tips.

I am surprised that my Mesa Bf2 flies so well with a much higher wingloading than your Horten.

I am surely dumb, but I was unable to see a recommended placement for CG on the plan I have downloaded.

Can you give me a hint on it's placement?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by Lgel View Post
Hello Bob,

Thanks for your explanations and building tips.

I am surprised that my Mesa Bf2 flies so well with a much higher wingloading than your Horten.

I am surely dumb, but I was unable to see a recommended placement for CG on the plan I have downloaded.

Can you give me a hint on it's placement?

Thanks.
If you look at the pattern closely there is a notch on the leading edge of the wing. if you strike a line between the notches on the wings you have the COG . Check out my Horten build notes video in the thread here were I go over the COG and other set-up tips.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Lgel

Thanks Bob for the reply, seen the videos (flights and build tips).
Cheers.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Lgel

Default 80 % 5EZP Ho 229 build

Built a 80 % version to fit in my small car.

Maiden today, was quite windy.

Had four flights, two with 3S 1600 mah, two with 3S 2200 mah battery, used specified CG and didn't make any adjustment to it, standard 2826 motor, 6x4 prop.

As my Mesa B2 she flies fast, very fast, gains height effortlessly, but can fly very slowly without dropping wings. High g turns are done easily without dropping nose or speed, a real fighter.

Glides beautifully (better than the Mesa B2, has lower wing loading) even with heavier battery (and I built it scaled down at 80 %, 1,2 m WS still), on a flight I even climbed high, cut throttle and made downwind leg, final turn, approach and landing on dead stick without a sweat.

Made the best landings since I fly, with this wing.

With the throws I had (and my basic Futaba, no expo, no reduced rates) she was nervous at speed. and as the B2 has absolutely no self levelling of wings (if a gust initiates a turn, she will go on or down, unless you correct it).

Launch is maybe were many failures will happen, I had a few saves before finding the right amount of throttle, up trim (that I reduce when safe height reached), and gentle discus throw. When all is in sync, she climbed out of my hand with level wings, straight as an arrow at a 30 degrees slope.

Not a forgiving plane, errors will be paid dearly due to the quick reactions and high cruising speed, but very interesting to fly if you have a big enough flying field.

Impressive presence in the sky, like a big Manta ray, screaming fast passes.

Thanks and congratulations Bob for the plan, I really had a blast this morning.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ho229-3.JPG (1.19 MB, 109 views)

Quick Reply: Horten Bros Ho-229...in "Five Easy Piece"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12123 seconds with 16 queries