Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Old school Aerials

Old 05-18-2016, 04:20 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Default Old school Aerials

I pulled out the trusty old GWS Slowstick and took a few shots of a controlled burn area that borders my farm. Even for an old setup it doesn't do too bad. I ran a Pentax S5z with a Prism switch...this was popular around oh...2004-ish lol

It was quite windy but the Slowstick with aileron mod handled the wind great as usual. Nothing fancy but it is still fun.

[edit]Pictures were nice and crisp until I uploaded them here, any tips to get pictures to upload clearer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
farm.JPG (1.30 MB, 185 views)
f1.JPG (1.63 MB, 173 views)
f2.JPG (1.62 MB, 182 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Use Photobucket or other online resource. You can upload as is and the site will resize for any forum etc. as required.

Nigel
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Nice pictures.

I have an old Mountain Models Magpie AP that I haven't flown since the last video contest on here.. Was thinking about it today at work, taking it up with the old camera and taking some pictures. I kind of miss those days of hit and miss when trying to get the "Perfect shot". Lots of flights and lots of pictures to go through afterwards.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:27 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Yep those were the days lol, I won a couple contests over on the groups but I don't think they do them anymore. I never did get a Magpie, I thought about it but after putting ailerons on the Slowstick I never bothered. I only put these 3 pics up, but I would say 95% of the time I get the shot I am looking for...it is hard when the wind is blowing. Usually I mount the camera straight sideways and use the wing to aim.

I used to make some decent coin doing this...untill the FAA stepped in.

Nigel thanks for the tip, I will have to try that next time.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:55 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Great pics but more so gorgeous property!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:48 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Very nice pic's P51 fan, and very good reso for a bright daylight shoot....old school or not.

My daughter had a Pentax mini version prior to the S5z......it was somewhat limited in filter, reso. iso and vid speed, but took very good stills. I never considered using it for the RC vids......but now a may see if she still has it and slap it on the old Slow Stick........hope it has auto progression still mode since I know the vid speed at 30fps will lack quality.

Curious, were the pic's you posted abstracts from a vid or stills.....?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Great pics but more so gorgeous property!
Thanks, it isn't fancy but it is bought and paid for. I am having some issues with water though, there never used to be as much as there is now. I believe one of my neighbors on the outlet end put a culvert in too low when they built their driveway and that has caused a backup. On the other hand, the water has cleared up greatly over the past few years. It is spring fed, and with that I am considering stocking fish...but the hassle of dealing with the DNR might not be worth it either.

Curious, were the pic's you posted abstracts from a vid or stills.....?
These are stills, and as I mentioned they looked much better before I posted them here. I will have to try with photobucket and see what happens.

If you can get hold of the Pentax and tell me what model it is I can do some research to find the best settings to use for aerials. On my S5z I found landscape mode works best with an EV of +3...I just let the camera do the rest. I have quite a few different models, S4, S4i, S5z, S6, S7, and an S12...I always go back to the S5z. The S6, 7 and 12 are absolutely horrible for focus for aerials. To add, I snap pics with the throttle off, and always make sure the brake is set on the ESC, a freely spinning prop will mess pictures up quicker than anything.

I use the Prism switch which I was surprised to see still seems to be available, it runs the camera using the IR port and is just a tiny little switch that I velcro to the camera, it plugs into a spare channel on the rec. and snaps a pic with a flip of a transmitter toggle switch.

http://www.hexpertsystems.com/prism/

Videos are not great, but, I have never tried taking video without the motor running so it might be better if you can get up high and glide while videoing. Here is an old video, I'm not even sure which camera I used, but it is an example. Never mind the name mowed in my yard...I was bored lol.

TURN YOUR SPEAKERS DOWN BEFORE WATCHING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1XQAzLsH8
Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"If you can get hold of the Pentax and tell me what model it is I can do some research to find the best settings to use for aerials. On my S5z I found landscape mode works best with an EV of +3...I just let the camera do the rest. I have quite a few different models, S4, S4i, S5z, S6, S7, and an S12...I always go back to the S5z. The S6, 7 and 12 are absolutely horrible for focus for aerials. To add, I snap pics with the throttle off, and always make sure the brake is set on the ESC, a freely spinning prop will mess pictures up quicker than anything"

Well, the daughters Pentax is history......guess I'll just keep using the little AEE SD22W......it has a burst single fast shot setting that works pretty good, also a Wi-Fi remote that's good to about 50yrds.....lol...which I've seldom used.....the reso and F-stop settings are flexible, but not quite the quality you're getting if I were to decide to enlarge the pic's to say a 8.5"x11" frame.....post card size looks good though...........Thanks for the help...........I've never had any problems while shooting under throttle, but more often then not, I'm in a slow circle glide when shooting stills.........into the wind and at a recoverable altitude.......
Old 05-20-2016, 04:49 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Another option, and the best thing about these older Pentax cameras...they are very inexpensive these days.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Came...m=R40&_nkw=S5z

I think I finally developed the perfect Slowstick wing a few years back. Simple, strong and doesn't flex like the flimsy original, handles wind very well and loops and rolls like a performance plane.
Attached Images
ss.JPG (1.71 MB, 131 views)