Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Electrifying a Great Planes Little Toni

Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
The Ni-MH battery came with the radio set. I am using it as the main power source for the RX. I'm using a Li-Po for the motor and have an 8A SBEC in the ESC. There is a blocking diode in the lead from the ESC to the RX to block current flow from the RX battery to the SBEC, but allow flow to the RX from the SBEC. This gives me some extra power and redundancy. Is there some problem or incompatibility? Or are you wondering why I didn't go Li-Po with the RX battery? Thanks.

Roberta
Roberta,

Very good, I didn't know of that exact redundancy you have in your setup with the diode.

Just keep in mind that the Ni-MH's packs don't provide high AMP current discharge in case you are using any High Torque servos like the new Digitals. I could not see clearly in your photograph that I cited from one of your posts but, it seems like you are using the Standard servos which are not High Torque and if this is true then, you will be okay, notwithstanding the redundancy.

I am using a Thunderpower 2-Cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer battery connected directly to an older Futaba 7-Channel Dual Conversion (FP-R1270F) receiver (72-Mhz, FM). No issues and no need for any regulator.

Just be very careful with these Ni-MH receiver packs as they are usually old and been constructed a few years ago leaving them weak as time passes. I was extremely LUCKY that when I flew the large lady of the skys (SIG Kadet LT-40) it didn't drop from the sky when I was flying it with the Ni-MH.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...8&postcount=13

I was just going to spare you with that fright and my experience.

It seems like all systems are a go with your model so, I guess no issues, thankfully.

Okay, looking forward to more progress.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

4 cell NiCd/NiMh may or may not be adequate to supply the RX and servos.

Operate the RX system to bring the 4 cell pack down to 5.0v unloaded. (You won't always have full charge while flying... just at take-off the first flight)

Connect a voltmeter to an un-used servo port on the RX. (clip a servo lead off a bad servo and use the + and ground leads)
Load half the servos to rated torque. (A little math and weights to put the rated load for the servo on the control surface.)
If you get less than 4.2 v at the RX you need a better RX power source.

Note that the wires and switch harness between the battery and RX can be a significant resistance source and I have had switch harnesses make this test fail with just ONE HS-55 servo...
A bad switch harness can crash your airplane.

Note about the 8 amp BEC:

The servo plugs are rated 7 amps.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Roberta

I am using Futaba digital 3152 servos. I will get those items to check servo draw and motor amperage to be sure of sufficient power. If need be, I will upgrade to a bigger RX battery. I did get HD extensions for the aileron servos and the ESC. Once I start setting all the throws and exponential parameters I will check to see if the current draw is within spec. I appreciate the incite.

Roberta
Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The light wires typical of Futaba S3003 get hot and can soften the insulation at 5 amps. Heavy duty servo leads the plug is the limit.

Though either can handle bursts of higher than rated, aerobatics can load the system for longer than what would be considered a burst.

Its better to be paranoid about ensuring you have adequate RX power than to come up short.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nice job on the conversion, she looks great. Good luck with the maiden flight when the time comes.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Roberta

Thanks, Jet and everyone.

I got the Arming Switch last night. I like it a lot. The push button cap switch is very small and mounted nicely next to the outlet for the plug. It does not come with a cover for the outlet, but I was able to make a neat square hole for the plug. The bottom of the Little Toni has fairly thick fiberglass, so it mounted just fine in front of the landing gear and behind the cowl. The "Y" connector was just what I needed to connect to the ESC and have a lead just long enough to plug the battery in. Not easy getting into the fuselage with two hands.

I was in a bit of a quandry about securing the battery. It has a snug fit going through the bulkhead I made and I made a wood receiver, lined with felt, mounted on the back of the firewall to hold the front of it so it can't rattle around. Velcro keeps it from sliding out easily. I'll have to think about a little more security. I have limited access up front making something too elaborate impracticle. There are some tabs in the factory bulkhead that were for a rubber band to hold the fuel tank in. Maybe I can do something like that. I don't want the battery too far back for balance reasons, but being all the way up front poses access problems.

I did do some cleaning up in the shop today and put the decals on the wings and fuselage. I wanted to get the radio and motor in before putting those on. And I wanted to put those on before putting on the tail feathers. So those will be next.

It did get a chance to fire up the motor today. Found that the transmitter control needed to be reversed as high speed was down and off was up. Rotation was correct at CC and the motor seemed to be very smooth going up and down the RPMs. Love the musical tones.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Roberta

Last edited by Roberta; 11-18-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Roberta

A couple of pics showing progress.

Roberta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tailfeathers 002.jpg (123.2 KB, 372 views)
tailfeathers 006.jpg (51.8 KB, 348 views)
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Roberta

Finished the Little Toni this week. I played around with setting the servo limits, dual rates and exponential rates. I set the limits and dual rates per the MFGs recommendations and set the expo at about 40%. Not sure if that is right, but it seems docile in the first half of the stick throw.

It sure looks nice without a big ole slimy muffler hanging out. LOL The vents in the cowl were useful for cooling the ESC.

Now on to getting a thumb loosening airplane so I won't auger this one in the first time out, hopefully.

Roberta
Attached Images
Little Toni 003.jpg (123.1 KB, 375 views)
Little Toni 004.jpg (129.2 KB, 399 views)
Little Toni 008.jpg (77.7 KB, 361 views)
Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Roberta Nice Build What ESC are you using, The reason I ask, is because the Rimfire motors are very Finicky with esc, and only tend to like the GP Rimfire esc, with other mfg esc, the motor will tend to chatter, not go to full rpm and sometimes just vibrate, if that happens with your Rimfire motor, you will know why.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Roberta

I put a Gecko 85A 8A SBEC. Running it up the other day it seemed smooth from idle all the way up. No prop on it yet. I will be doing a power check with a prop once I get a meter for that.

Roberta
Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I put a Gecko 85A 8A SBEC. Running it up the other day it seemed smooth from idle all the way up. No prop on it yet. I will be doing a power check with a prop once I get a meter for that.

Roberta
Get a turnigy Wattmeter, they do a good job and are not very expensive. $29.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turnigy-...wAAOSw9N1V14Oy

New Turnigy 180A 60v Watt Meter and Power Analyzer Upgraded to 180 amps

Old 11-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Roberta

Thanks, Chellie!!

Roberta
Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Roberta

Rich ordered the Hangar 9 servo tester for me for Christmas, along with the Pandora plane and related stuff. I ordered the Power Meter off Ebay. They did not have the 180 amp anymore, but I did get a 130 amp GT. It's the one that Motion RC sells, but are out of stock. They all appear to be made by the same vendor in China.

Roberta
Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

That's one good looking airplane! Hope you publish a flight report.

Hawk
Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I love the look of that elongated spinner. Nice touch
Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Roberta

Thank you!!! The spinner was part of the kit, so I have no credit for that.

I wasn't happy with the "plug" that came with the battery arming harness. It was very hard to get into the receptacle. I ordered the right size soldering iron and a work holder to help me solder on a Dean's connector so I could use the Schumacher receptacle and plug instead. The harness with the cap switch is well made so I will end up with the best of the two by combining them into a "Hybrid".

My plan is to get out as early as I can in the spring to loosen up my thumbs on the Pandora and then fly the Little Toni later. I will definitely report on the performance.

Roberta
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The one on my Shoestring is a basic true turn. I am looking for one like your now to fit!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Roberta

Here is a link from Amazon to gives some detail on the spinner. The Great Planes part number is GPMA2407. Doesn't look available anymore but maybe the dimensions in the Amazon description will help find a substitute.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-S...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Roberta
Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thumbs up

Cool, thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Roberta

I picked up a Great Planes CG Machine for balancing planes. Seem's like a nice unit and easily assembles. A little awkward getting the plane on by myself, but do-able. I checked the balance with everything in place as previously described. It came out surprisingly well. I think I will need about an ounce or two up front in the forward end of the cowl. I haven't checked side to side balance yet. I will do that before adding weight to see if it will benefit putting it on one side or dividing it.

Here are some pics of the balancer and of the Schumacher arming plug. I did end up with two small holes from the MPI arming plug socket. One from the screw hole and one because I needed to relocate the anti-spark button. I may make a bigger mess trying to patch the holes, so I'm just going to leave them.

I like the MPI harness and the anti-spark setup, but the plug provided is very hard to get in. The Schumacher plug is much easier, so I combined the two for the best setup. And learned to solder better with the correct solder, flux, and iron.

Roberta
Attached Images
balance 001.jpg (121.1 KB, 260 views)
balance 003.jpg (80.7 KB, 300 views)
balance 007.jpg (93.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:08 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Looking good! So when is the maiden?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Roberta

Thanks, Bill!! Probably next spring after I've loosened up my thumbs with the Pandora. I'm pretty sure if I rush things, I will need a garbage bag for the Little Toni.

Roberta
Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thanks, Bill!! Probably next spring after I've loosened up my thumbs with the Pandora. I'm pretty sure if I rush things, I will need a garbage bag for the Little Toni.

Roberta
Well if you want to ship it to me I'll get her all trimmed out and loosened up for you. I'll be happy to ship it back in the spring when it warms back up up that way..

I'm here to help.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Roberta

Roberta