Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Pat Tritle's New Stinson SR-10 Reliant

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM
E-Challenged

Nothing really new to report, will be finishing repairs shortly. Might have been easier to re-build from a new short kit. Have been flying my foam Park Zone SR-10, with flaps, a lot in the interim. Not an ARF fan but made exception with PZ SR-10, lots of fun and easy flying.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
E-Challenged

Update, Have renewed motivation, have landing gear beefed up, new streamlined lg leg fairings. Need to adjust wing mount tubes for proper alignment of left and right panels and make new wing struts and attachments. Mostly cosmetics and patching of covering after that. The decision to rebuild after a serious crash vs building a new short kit should be made with care. In this case, a new build would have been easier and a chance to incorporate a number of improvements.

My PZ Reliant is still flying well, replaced a rudder servo yesterday, many repairs have been made to landing gear and lg mounts, from hundreds of landings and touch and goes. Looks tough, losts of epoxy lumps, but still flies great and looks good in the air.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
7car7

Nice to hear the update! Hope it goes well.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 PM
E-Challenged

I finished repairs some months ago, haven't gotten up gumption to re-maiden it yet. Not exactly good as new but close enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reliant Repairs 016.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	161990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reliant Repairs 007.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	161991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reliant Repairs 020.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	161992  

Last edited by E-Challenged; 08-19-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
E-Challenged

Successful Re-Maiden

Non-event at Fairview Park field, Costa Mesa. Model took off needing some up-trim and settled into very stable easy flying. Landed on mains smoothly without flaps. On later flights landed with flaps nicely. Had a lot of trouble programming my Aurora 9 transmitter for 3-position, switch controlled, trimmable flaps with slowed servo speeds. Finally learned that the two servos should be on separate channels instead of Y harness for best adjustability/trimmability using Flap Control, EPA, subtrims, and while wearing wax lips. Hitec transmitters are "Hitec" and their manuals leave a lot to be desired in terms of understandability. I finally got advice from their support team in Poway, CA. Anyway my SR-7 looks like an aging movie star who didn't have face lifts but still has ageless beauty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	177964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0232.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	177965  
Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

How'd I miss this thread before? Beautiful work on a beautiful plane, E-Challenged! Congrats on the good re-maiden.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 PM
E-Challenged

If I wanted to build another Pat Tritle Reliant, I would build per plans with a few mods for durability but keeping wing loading low. This gives a model that will fly slow and scale-like and land gently. This is a complex model particularly in the construction, hinging and setup of the flaps. If you have a "computer" transmitter, follow the "wing type", "flap control" and servo speed setting menus. Wing type settings are two ailerons(servos), and two flaps (servos). Flap Control settings include selecting a 3-position switch for retracted, take-off and landing . You may also need to adjust servo throws, servo arm angles, pushrods, to get desired flap action. I have 3-position, slowed action, adjustable flaps on a 3-position switch. I have tried down-elevator mix in the flap control menu but prefer manual elevator and throttle inputs when using flaps. "Ballooning" with flaps deployed is a function of flap angle, and airspeed and is affected by headwinds. I use a little flap for takeoffs, and a little more for landings. Flaps are not "needed" for a lightly wing loaded Reliant but add interest and realism.
Look carefully and notice flap in landing position in picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0066.jpg (594.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 AM
Stick Dude

What a beauty! Almost looks real! Love the paint scheme!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 PM
E-Challenged

Background white covering was Solarfim chosen for opacity. Dark blue two-tone was some "lite" covering. Pepsi vinyl stick-on graphics and lettering were from Callie Graphics. She has the same graphics on file. She does excellent work, is intuitive, and prices are very reasonable. She is familiar with Pat Tritle designs and needs only basic dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0009.jpg (717.0 KB, 23 views)