RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Propo / Japan Remote Control Ltd - gone bankrupt

Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Curious about what is currently happening with JR. Any new information out there?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

First I've got to say that i don't have any 'inside knowledge' but the demise of JR has peeked my interest, so I've been keeping a close eye on any news that comes up, and there have been a couple of developments:

• JR Propo has gone bankrupt, this is 100% accurate. Unless someone buys up the JR brand etc and restores it as a going concern (seems very unlikely given the huge debt) then 'JR propo the company' is gone for good.
  • A large Japanese hobby supplier called RC depot formed a deal with JR before they officially went bust to continue to supply a limited range of JR products under licence. This included the radio range, servos and spares for the helis (though I don't think complete heli kits). Products from RC Depot did for a short time start to arrive in local distributors such as JR Americas (JR Americas are a completely seperate business to JR Propo by the way and not directly impacted by the bankruptcy).
  • After JR Propo's bankruptcy the licence agreement that RC Depot had was deemed by the receivers to be invalid, so RC Depot lost the right to use the JR brand name. RC Depot plan to keep manufacturing 'JR Compatible' products under the brand name 'Dee Force Aviation'. JR branded stock will be available until it runs out but no new JR branded products can be manufactured after end february 2018.
  • Dee Force will almost certainly have to get all their radios re-certified with the likes of the FCC before they can sell them in the US and other global markets.

So that the current situation in a nutshell. As it stands once the current stock held by RC Depot is used up, there will be no more JR branded products of any kind. There is the possibility of the same hardware being marketed under the new brand name of 'Dee Force Aviation' but it's early days yet so hard to know if that will work out.

There is still room for a few more twists and turns in the story. Someone might buy up the JR brand name (maybe even RC Depot?) which could bring the name back. Equally someone might buy up the manufacturing rights and then stop RC Depot making what would effectively be 'clone copies'. If RC Depot apply for and get FCC and similar certification is another unknown.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Interesting but why flog a dead horse?
It is enough that JR have gone broke to put me off ever wanting any JR product. They were never mainstream here but there were a few around. Personally I would never pursue a product that was continued on under another name.(like Dee Force) Where did they get a name like that?
If I owned a JR product I would seriously be considering adopting another protocol asap.
There are plenty of well grounded brands to pick from now. JR is just not needed any more.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
It is enough that JR have gone broke to put me off ever wanting any JR product. They were never mainstream here but there were a few around. Personally I would never pursue a product that was continued on under another name.(like Dee Force) Where did they get a name like that?
If I owned a JR product I would seriously be considering adopting another protocol asap.
There are plenty of well grounded brands to pick from now. JR is just not needed any more.
If we go back to the 70 ... 80's and even into 90's .... JR were at the forefront of developing RC ... the simple Tx Module was a hallmark of the original Propo Series ...
Gimbals that were smoothest on the market.
Mixing and button commands even with analogue radios that put them ahead of most.

Unfortunately I blame later business co-operation that killed them off and failing to see the market trend ... but that is a personal view.
I was a JR user for many years - until later when 2.4Ghz became general standard and then a JR product copied by FlySky became my replacement radio ... the 9x. I agree that the gimbal / electronics are not JR standards ! But the case and design is from them.

For me it is sad to see JR go ... but I admit that my days of paying JR prices are long gone.

Nigel
Old 03-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I used to say "I have to fly JR____because that's my wife's initials"

Well after 8 years my JR 9303 main computer board went totally out.

Now I have a DX8 G2
looked for an hour trying to find snap roll programming, I liked that in some of my older radios.

It will be sad to lose a major company like JR, and I am not sure what we will get out of Dee Force ( sounds like something out of Star Wars).

"May Dee Force be with you" Will probably be their slogan.

Unless the FAA totally screws up RC flying, there will be enough equipment to play with.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM
yorkiepap

A shame that corporate/management corruption caused JR's demise. I'm a JR diehard & will continue to use my JR10X's, Galaxy Computer8's, & Century VII's as they have stood the test of time with reliability & the quality components that the Japanese used. My 10X's are 25+y.o. & the others are 30+y.o. & still work flawlessly & provide all & more of the functions I will ever need for the planes/gliders I fly. I can count on Tony @ Radio South to service any of them. Nothing has the "feel" of the metal encased JR's & don't expect those the cheap plastic junkboxes from China to be around for 25+yrs like my JR's. There are many other JR users who feel & will do the same as myself & be quite content that our JR's will serve us quite well. Nuff said.....

Denny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JR10X72_2.4.jpg.JPG (341.3 KB, 106 views)
Classic1.JPG (279.5 KB, 108 views)
Classic1b.JPG (252.2 KB, 110 views)
JR_CenturyVIIa.JPG (337.4 KB, 142 views)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:56 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I guess for those with a large investment in JR hardware it's pretty important to know if they will be able to buy receivers and spares in the future.

Personally i got interested because i was thinking about buying ea JR Forza 700 heli, but I've decided against that now, too much uncertainty on future spares availability.