RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tx Trays ... and what you think ?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Tx Trays ... and what you think ?

I have been a dedicated neck strap person ever since days of slope soaring. It made things so much easier to self launch etc.
So much so that I really hate forgetting my strap - that I now have a whole box of them !! I keep the Trade Show neck jobs used to hang your ID card ... ideal for this RC work ... just needs the weak clip often at back of neck taped secure.

OK ... I wanted a tray to carry my Range extended Phantom Controller, I bought the Hobby King 9xr Polycarbonate tray .... very nice too.

One day I thought ... why .. not lets give it a try with my 3D Hummer ... virtually flies itself ...
About 1 minute into the flight I had to dump the tray !

Why ?

When I use a strap - I am also holding the Tx wrapping fingers round the Tx case. This seems to give reference feel for my stick control. With the tray - I found I was lacking that reference feel and flight was totally erratic !

Anyone else experienced similar ?

I intend to try again ... maybe it just needs practice and after 50 odd years of neck strap would be a challenge.

Interested in views ...

Nigel
Old 10-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I have the same feelings, I custom built a tray for my JR 9303 radios that would let me operate the side lever controls.

I just can't get used to it. I guess if you learn, holding the Tx and using thumbs it is hard to change. I can fly a single 3 axis stick Tx easier than using a tray.

I have a very good friend that builds and flys beautiful scale planes, that uses a tray for all his flying. He says it gives him a more delicate control.

I think it is just what ever you are used to.

In my carpentry career, one time I tried a different shaped hammer handle. I dang near destroyed my left hand. These were TOP of the line hammers so it wasn't off balance.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have a Machete in the store for lopping of branches / stray bits of bushes etc.

No matter how I hold it - when I swing it - the balance seems all wrong and I feel its going to fly out of my hand ! I fear one day I will slice my leg !

But I can use a Bell Hook fine on same job.

I will try the tray again as its become redundant from the Phantom ... and its designed for 9xr to clip into it.

Nigel
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I became a strap user many, many years ago after dropping my TX through a wing!

I tried a tray. Once! Being a thumb twiddler I lost all orientation and feel for the TX. Wasn't a pretty flight. Pinch flyers may be OK with a tray. Not me.

Joe
Old 10-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Rhea
Thinking about flying

The tray seems to get in the way of my hands. With the neck strap I can either let the Tx hang or I can move it around, sort of like putting some "english" on it to go along with the tongue. .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Einstein Tongue.jpg (98.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:56 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
The tray seems to get in the way of my hands. With the neck strap I can either let the Tx hang or I can move it around, sort of like putting some "english" on it to go along with the tongue. .
Luckily there are no pictures (that I'm aware of) of my facial expressions while attempting difficult maneuvers.

Joe
Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

No tray. No neck strap. Just a naked Transmitter......
Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
No tray. No neck strap. Just a naked Transmitter......
Same here.

A few weeks ago I had rotator cuff surgery. I went flying with a friend anyway, trying to use a tray to carry the weight.

Didn't work. After three very messy laps of the field, I had no confidence in flying and had my spotter finish the battery pack for me.

I don't know how people can feel comfortable with a tray.

Andy
Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I used to hate straps and trays ... but all the years of hand launching slopers and power in rough fields got me 'hooked' (forgive the pun) on a strap.

Now I feel awkward without a strap.

But the tray - I lost that feel of my hand around that Tx case ... given me a sort of reference ...

Nigel