Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #26
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Wattflyer is generally regarded by outsiders as the Old Fogeys DIY builders forum. Yes .. seriously. I read a number of posts on different forums that basically said that.
WF seems to have become the place for the builder rather than the out of box flyer - which fills likes of RCG and others.

If you only knew how good this makes me feel!

Not many of you were around back in the day when WF started and Electrics were the new thing on the block to mainstream RC. We were for lack of better words the [email protected]$tard step children to the hobby. I've been here going on 13 years now and my how times have changed. In the beginnings it was always about the next big thing to come out from Hobby Lobby, E-Flite, Hobbico, etc.

I agree that now it seems more subdued, and geared more to guys and gals who have been around longer than most. I like it here, still my favorite forum to hang out in. And if it wasn't for the Walmart of the internet... facebook, WF would still have loads of traffic. I tend to catch up with all my local and distant RC friends almost daily on FB where that used to happen here and on other forums.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 04-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #27
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

I know Don has FB for WF ... possibly as way to drive people here, but FB tends to become its own force.

I get the updates - but rarely look in. I may post a comment on my own page or friends - but I regard the original WF forum as the place to be.

I have great sympathy for Don - in that site owners put limitations on the promotion of the site ... pity.

I have 4 sites open at all times I'm around ...

Wattflyer
RCG
PhantomPilots
DJI

I have others I visit occasionally to see if anything new / interesting .... but rare is the real gem to hold me there. If you really want to read some hilarious rubbish - a quick trip round the average 'Drone' forum is enough to satisfy the ardent humourist !!
Honestly - you cannot imagine the naivety and lack of sense displayed !!

We all have a chuckle about the newcomer to RC who asks the simple question that really should be obvious - but that's fine and we help in all ways possible. But believe me - those newcomers questions pale against the outright stupidity of some of the 'drone' newbies AND some of the 'old-hands' !!

WF is my fav ... without any doubt.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #28
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

And we appreciate the support!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #29
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

''We all have a chuckle about the newcomer to RC who asks the simple question that really should be obvious - but that's fine and we help in all ways possible.''

That may have come across wrong ...

I meant that we on WF regard all questions as serious for the person posting it. We treat it like when WE started ourselves. We didn't know and realise that what we consider simple may not be for the newcomer.
No ridicule, no sniggers ... just plain help.

Something that some other well known forums should take heed of. Some of their responses to newcomers make you want to scream !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #30
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Honestly that is what made wattflyer my go to site back in the day when I was new. So many questions and so many good people here that helped. Wish more of them were still around

Old 04-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Honestly that is what made wattflyer my go to site back in the day when I was new. So many questions and so many good people here that helped. Wish more of them were still around
They are still around ... but sadly many are now using 'bath chairs' !!

So many things have been left aside ... choice of glue for the job ... what cut of balsa for a job .... manual trimming after maiden to put trims back to centre ....

So many things that we took as normal are now part of Myths and Legends.

Nigel

Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #32
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
They are still around ... but sadly many are now using 'bath chairs' !!

So many things have been left aside ... choice of glue for the job ... what cut of balsa for a job .... manual trimming after maiden to put trims back to centre ....

So many things that we took as normal are now part of Myths and Legends.

Nigel
Yep, I guess it's up to us now to keep it alive

Old 04-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #33
RCGuy135

Friends: (0)

I agree with the general downward trend that building has undergone but would like to point out the apparent success of small companies (and people in basements) making and selling smaller EP kits and larger kits as well (or selling thru others) such as
BMJR
Volare Products
Ben Buckle Vintage Kits
Carolina Custom Kits
Dare kits (as seen on Brodak site for example)
Dumas
Herr
Pat's Custom Models (check out Manzano Laser Works for more..)
Aerodrome RC
Mountain Models
Stevens Aeromodel

Hopefully it's a bit like squeezing a balloon more than air coming out of the balloon forever...
Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #34
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I thought Manzano had closed down or at least was passing to another .. ?

I agree there seems to be a revival of some ... I see Kiel Kraft models are being re-kitted in UK ... that brings back childhood memories.

Ben Buckle .... I use them for my Wing Bands and other traditional quality items.

Nigel

Old 05-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Solafilm UK announced that they just received massive orders for wholesalers - which they complied. But that will be last to resellers.
Solarfilm UK will continue while stock lasts to sell to private buyers via the web-shop ...

The film laminating machines are now stopped and no further stock produced.

Nigel

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #36
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (12)

Argh! I'm massively downsizing and even leaving the hobby if I could find someone with deep enough pockets to buy me out. Already sold over two thousand but that was nothing. I still have tons more to sell. I STILL want to build something maybe 1/4 scale electric as my one and only bird but haven't had the time lately. When I cover I'd really prefer SolarFilm. I'll have to keep my eyes open for when it shows up for sale in the USA. I have lots of Solarfilm rolls in different colors but can never have too much white.......

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #37
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

We lament the decline of the hobby and building but someone is buying all these ARFs, BnFs, RTFs. When the cost to build exceeds the cost to buy you really have to evaluate what part of they hobby you really enjoy, building or flying.

I am amazed by what some of the members of my club build. Some are creating their own designs. But I was never one of them.

Sorry to see these time honored building brands go but I guess it is just the natural shift in the hobby from building to flying.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #38
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

I spend time doing mods but not scratch building or even stick builds from kits. Talent and time are my enemies. I remember building my first RC plane, circa 1978- 1981. A Joe Bridie trainer kit with Enya .40 and Kraft radio. I would sporadically spend time on it when I had the time. Took me over 3 years to complete and when it was finally ready to fly, I had no place to fly it. Moved with me to different places. Also, a young demanding family got in the way so I never really had much time for myself. Most of my work was done late at night when everyone was fast asleep. Was therapeutic and took my mind off the pressures of the day. Finally flew it and of course I crashed. LOL

Now, in three years time I can burn through 10-15 planes made of excellent foam and fly great. Some of the newer foam Arfs take very little time to go from the box to the field. But I do still spend time on mods to make them fly better and in many cases, just look more scale.

On the B-24, I added retractable landing lights and moving turret. Simple stuff. Working on a F4 Phantom mod now , adding a drag chute mechanism. That kind of building / modding is fun to me. At 63, I'm running out of time for a long , involved build cycle.

Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft