WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Kavan Albatros

Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Default Kavan Albatros

Anyone else flying the Kavan Albatros? Looking for differant ways to hold the spinner on.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I retired mine long ago!!! Steve.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
I retired mine long ago!!! Steve.
Why did you retire it?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

It finally got so wore out from wear and tear that I just decided that the poor plane had seen better days!! Steve.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 AM
details

degreen60,

I've got one in a box starring at me. I want to fix it up with extra details, etc. probably add the ailerons to the top wing.

Have you flown yours yet? Any advice on mods. or what to watch out for?

Dave
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by details View Post
degreen60,

I've got one in a box starring at me. I want to fix it up with extra details, etc. probably add the ailerons to the top wing.

Have you flown yours yet? Any advice on mods. or what to watch out for?

Dave
I started flying about a year ago so when I started flying the Albatros I was not a very good flyer. I crashed mine several times but now I can fly it without crashing. One thing that I would change before flying. Put a brushless motor in it. I installed the motor that came with the plane and it burned up on the fourth flight. Another mod I did was glue the plastic motor that covers the battery opening on the plane. I then installed 6 Nimh cells through the cockpit opening forward against the front former and on the bottom of the fuselage. I hold the cockpit on the plane with a dowel at the front and a magnet at the rear. I also have the charging jack in the cockpit so the wire to the batteries keeps the cockpit from getting lost if it comes off. I use pull-pull controls cause it is lighter than push rods. I added wing brace wires using upholstery thread. I did not even use the kit wood for landing gear cause I read in reviews that this is a weak point and the wood breaks. I had some CF rod and used that. One thing I had a lot of problems with was how to hold the spinner on and still be able to take it off when I needed too(after crash). I finally cut a piece of foam to fit the backplate and glued it to the backplate. I then cut a thin piece of plywood and glued to the foam. I hold the spinner to the backplate with pins run into and glued in the foam. If your a good flyer you might not have to do any of the mods but I think brushless motor and stronger landing gear is almost required. Brushless motor I use is a 2410-08y with a 9x7 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kavanalbatros 001.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	44341  
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
details

degreen60,

Thanks for the rundown on your Kavan Abatros!

I think that I will do most of the mods that you did on yours. I am planning on an outrunner motor and Lipo batteries. I like using pull-pull cables when I can to save weight in the tail. I will have to take a look at the spinner problem as I have never delt with a spinner like this before. I have however used "Shoe Goo" to secure the rubber GWS spinners. It works pretty well as long as you don't crash that often.

I would like to see how you used the CF rod on the landing gear.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,
I would like to see how you used the CF rod on the landing gear.
Thanks again,
Dave
I used the CF rod same as using the wood in the kit. I glued the CF rod into the bottom brace that the axle goes through with epoxy. I like the bottom brace so well that I made a V shaped mold with #9 wire and vacuum formed braces for my scratch build WW1 planes.
I read somewhere that the Albatros used tubing for landing gear so I think the GF rod looks ok.
On my WW1 planes that have wood landing gear I glued bamboo skewers into the bottom brace.
In the pictures you can see my servos, receiver, and the green batteries.

Name:	planes 005.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	44383   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 006.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	44384  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is the paint I use to cover repairs. It is not a perfect match but looks ok to me. It is Apple Barrel acrylic paint from Walmart. I think it is 44 cents a bottle. Fuselage 20760 Kings Gold. Red 20784 Red Apple. Blue 20751 Regency Blue.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
details

degreen60,

Thanks for the pix and the info, also the paints!

This sort of info might get this thread going again! Anything else you can think of? Did you ever think about ailerons for it?

Dave
Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 AM
details

degreen60,

Do you or anybody else know how to get a picture to the right size for my avatar? I can't seem to do it in photoshop!

Dave
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,

Thanks for the pix and the info, also the paints!

This sort of info might get this thread going again! Anything else you can think of? Did you ever think about ailerons for it?

Dave
I have been thinking about ailerons. I also have been thinking about repainting the top of both wings. Using the 2 color green and purple. As you can see on mine I added a red dragon that was on one of the Albatros.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,

Do you or anybody else know how to get a picture to the right size for my avatar? I can't seem to do it in photoshop!

Dave
You can use iview336. It is a free graphics program you can download. It has a resize command.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
details

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I have been thinking about ailerons. I also have been thinking about repainting the top of both wings. Using the 2 color green and purple. As you can see on mine I added a red dragon that was on one of the Albatros.
degreen60,

I want to have scale ailerons, possibly with torque rod running out in a covered channel from the bottom of the top wing with the servo in the area of the guns.

I know of one person that added ailerons to his Simprop Albatros similar to this. I can't find the link right now, but I'll try and find it soon.

It's funny, the Simprop version comes with the green and purple wing color scheme with a green tail outlined in red.

Dave
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
details

You can use iview336. It is a free graphics program you can download. It has a resize command.
degreen60,

Thanks, I'll try that.

I was able to get a photo up on my avatar, but it is soft.

Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,
It's funny, the Simprop version comes with the green and purple wing color scheme with a green tail outlined in red.

Dave
I think the Simprop Albatros is painted like the Albatros that Lieuenant H.J. von Hippel flew and the Kavan Albatros is painted like one the Red Baron flew. The Red Baron got most of his kills in an Albatros, not sure it was D.V. though. I like color on my planes and they don't have to be painted scale colors. If I change the wings to green and purple I will probably leave the tail feathers red although the red dragon tail would show better on green tail.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
details

degreen60,

Hi there, sorry I haven't responded in a while.

Did you ever figure out a good way to attach the spinner to your Kavan Albatros DV?

Dave
Old 12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I copied my photo I wanted for the avatar into paint and then resized it to 50-50%. I just posted about using glass beads for guides for pull-pull lines in the WWI building tips thread. It might be a lighter way of doing ailerons. Steve
Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,

Hi there, sorry I haven't responded in a while.

Did you ever figure out a good way to attach the spinner to your Kavan Albatros DV?

Dave
I have it attched as in thread #6. I put some Gorilla glue and water in the nose of the spinner to make it stronger.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 AM
details

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
I copied my photo I wanted for the avatar into paint and then resized it to 50-50%. I just posted about using glass beads for guides for pull-pull lines in the WWI building tips thread. It might be a lighter way of doing ailerons. Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the info on your resizing a photo for your avatar. What physical size and memory size did you start and end up with?

The glass beads idea sound great! I'll go look up your posts in the WWI building tips ASAP!

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 AM
details

I have it attched as in thread #6. I put some Gorilla glue and water in the nose of the spinner to make it stronger.
degreen60,

Thanks, I saw how you did it before, but I thought you were looking for a different or better way than that to attach the spinner.

Dave
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

degreen60,

Thanks, I saw how you did it before, but I thought you were looking for a different or better way than that to attach the spinner.

Dave
I have not found a better way yet.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is a picture of the top wing after I covered it with printed paper. Next I will cover the top of the bottom wing.

Name:	topwing.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	49965  
Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

That looks really good!! My old one I got from Hobby Lobby had the full camo decals for the wings and a packet of powder to mix with water to make the decals stick to the foam better. Steve
Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 PM
details

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!

degreen60,

That top wing looks great! I want to do my Albatros DVa with similar lozenge camo on the wings and horizontal stab.

How much are you planning on covering that way? Please keep us all posted on any more you do.

Oh yea, I've been meaning to ask you. Do you think you like the Kavan DVa to every buy another?

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah degreen60 and steve!

Dave

Quick Reply: Kavan Albatros

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16278 seconds with 17 queries