General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Joystick for Phoenix Simulator

Old 12-09-2016, 09:21 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Default Joystick for Phoenix Simulator

Hey if you read my RC Joystick thread I made I had a pleasant surprise. I have always wanted to use a Joystick on Phoenix RC Sim, but as you may know that is not possible until now. At least for me anyway. My RC Joystick I made works perfectly on Phoenix.

I was sitting around playing with my Joystick HaHa and it occurred to me I should be able to use it with Phoenix RC Simulator. So I pulled out some alligator test leads and connected it up. Worked like a charm, all I had to do is calibrate it on Phoenix RC. After testing I just added a 3.5 mm phono Jack on the Joystick and made the connections. That way I just plug into the Joystick base with the Phoenix Converter cable like it was made for it. Come to think of it was made just for that purpose.

If you have Phoenix RC, you know it comes with a USB and Dongle cable that plugs into your plane radio Trainer Port, and the Trainer Port outputs standard RC PPM signal. Exact same thing my Joystick. That Dongle or Black Box on the cable is a PPM to USB converter. Uses the same microcontroller I am using. Unfortunately Phoenix RC was smart enough to uses a proprietary USB protocol that is not compatible with Windows, Mac or whatever you got USB drivers. That is why you cannot use USB Joystick. But I can now.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Mogg2112
Coming in hot!

Interesting. I guess my only question is why would you want to use a joystick for an RC simulator that's meant for training to fly model aircraft with a handheld transmitter? Aren't the user interfaces between an actual flight simulatorand an RC flight simulator completely different?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:04 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well you have to look at the other thread to connect the dots. I made an RC Joystick so I do not have to use 2 Thumb Joysticks on the plane radio. So much easier and more accurate than what any Radio Thumbsticks can do. I use a 3-Axis Joystick plugged into the Radio Trainer Port. So I use the same Joystick I practice with on Phoenix RC Simulator as I fly with at the field.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:27 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Hi Dereck. I added to your other thread but I think I should have done it here.
I should bring it over here but , being a computer klutz, have no idea how to do it.
Maybe you could move it here or leave it on the other thread if you like.