Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Micro and small fasteners ...

Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Micro and small fasteners ...

A thread recently somewhere I posted on - I mentioned using Bra clips for flying wires ... they are used a lot on model yachts ... small, light and quick to clip etc.

It got me thinking ... what about the little small round press studs that are used ... come in two halves ... one is raised centre that clips into the hole in centre of other part ... My thinking is that they may be a cute way to secure canopies or lipos ... even if a flap of material is used ...

Any ideas ?

Nigel
Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Funny ... just remembered a pal of mine in UK who used small fish hooks with sharp point and barb removed ... because you could buy FORGED with eye's to tie to .. and tiny.

Nigel
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM
DHC Beaver

I tried the press stud idea years ago.The glue used to mount them came through the holes,stopping the top part from locking on.
On a similar note,I use fishing snap swivels to mount flying wires etc.Cheap and esily removable if required.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 PM
modeltinker

Default fasteners

My source for hardware is Microfasteners. They have an incredible inventory, great prices, and no, you do not have to buy by the gross. They know their stuff, they are responsive, they want your business, and they always guarantee satisfaction. But here is the kicker, they buy from trusted suppliers, and deliver the best quality, sometimes better than factory original. They buy in ridiculously large quantities, and you save. And they know their stuff, they will even match what you need if you send a sample.

I happen to live near their location, so they gave me the nickel tour. It is a candy store for hardware. The selection is amazing, and they have some really nice kits too. They listen to what the enthusiast wants, and they respond.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
I tried the press stud idea years ago.The glue used to mount them came through the holes,stopping the top part from locking on.
On a similar note,I use fishing snap swivels to mount flying wires etc.Cheap and esily removable if required.
The press studs would be bound if I used them ...

The swivels ... and snap links are good - I fish as well so know what you mean .. but on some models might be a touch larger than wished. The fish hooks are ideal then ...

Nigel