Temporarily Putting Aside my Warbirds for Now - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Temporarily Putting Aside my Warbirds for Now

Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM
  #1  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default Temporarily Putting Aside my Warbirds for Now

I'm going to temporarily put aside my warbirds for now and concentrate on these Sport/Aerobatic planes. They are (clockwise):

Value Hobby 39" SBach profile foamie
Electrifly Super Sporster 40" foamie
Parkzone ArtiZan
Flyzone Acro-Wot MkII
Freewing Spacewalker

I'm really beginning to like aerobatic flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerobats and Sports Planes.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	173894  

Last edited by Chucksolo69; 03-06-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 AM
  #2  
Don Sims
Administrator
 
Don Sims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 13,394
Default

Nice looking fleet. Why not mix up the flying?
Don Sims is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 AM
  #3  
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 240
Default

SWEET FLEET! Though im very bad at it, aerobatics is FUN!! The thrill is when a manuver actually goes right!! How do you like your Artizan??
Bill Gibson is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 AM
  #4  
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 2,316
Default

Very nice hanger load.....unless there is some technology out there I'm not aware of, you can still only fly one at a time anyway.....
pizzano is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 AM
  #5  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Very nice hanger load.....unless there is some technology out there I'm not aware of, you can still only fly one at a time anyway.....
What's your point? They all fly differently.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 AM
  #6  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
SWEET FLEET! Though im very bad at it, aerobatics is FUN!! The thrill is when a manuver actually goes right!! How do you like your Artizan??
I just got the Artizan yesterday and got it built today. Now I just have to calibrate the AS3X receiver to my DX9. I will maiden it this weekend. Probably on Saturday.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 AM
  #7  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Nice looking fleet. Why not mix up the flying?
I have been flying warbirds almost exclusively for the past year. Thought I'd broaden my horizons. In fact, I'm going to be giving away a few of the warbirds to friends and family who fly. I'm running out of space in the ol' hanger.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 AM
  #8  
gramps2361
Community Moderator
 
gramps2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: oxford, MA
Posts: 7,050
Default

Chuck it's me your long lost Uncle sure would love that Corsair.

I did the war birds for a while, but I do enjoy flying sport and aerobatic more. I still take the dynaflite corsair out and fly it just not as much.
sold a mustang and a A1- Skyraider so I could afford some other planes.

So I hear ya on war bird thing and you have a nice new fleet going.
gramps2361 is online now  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 AM
  #9  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Funny you should mention Corsairs Gramps. Somewhere along the line I acquired 5 of those puppies. I plan to get rid of 3 of them and keep only one of the Flyzone F4U Select Scale Corsairs and my second generation Parkzone with the retracts. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy flying the warbirds, but there is just something about a fast aerobat and those double and triple axial rolls and spins that is just outta this world. I am just now getting into 3D but right now, knife edge flight, harries, hovering and stuff of that nature sure has me stumped. I practice all the time on the sim, but that just doesn't translate well to the real world. I can knife edge all day long on the sim.....but for real....not so much!!! Anyway, your welcome to one of the Corsairs, that is, if you fly out to SoCal and claim it. I don't ship!!!! LOL!!!!!
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 AM
  #10  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Hey Chuck ... I am also one who decided to go aerobatic for a change ...

But I hope you have better luck than me ! My Badius - twice now I've gone too low and cartwheeled snapping her in half !

But - yes - 'batting about does get enjoyable.

Question : The Skywalker - is that the one back left with red on the wings ? HK used to have similar suitable for gasoline engine - always fancied iot but can't find it now !

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM
  #11  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Nigel, yes, that's the Freewing Spacewalker. The only places I have seen it for sale are MotionRC , F-Hobby, and ValueHobby here in the states. The plane retails for $99.00 at most places and F-Hobby has it for 10 dollars less. It is a superb plane for the money. I bought it because of the price and retro look. It flies really nice too and the quality is top notch. It is one of RC's best kept secrets. I have never heard of a Badius, could you post a picture of it?
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM
  #12  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Accipiter Badius .... HK sells it named Patternish F3A ...



Banggod sell it as well ... but a slightly different construction. HK has wood internals to carry servos etc. but the BG version is plain white, no decals, all foam. Bit on the small side - but it flies on rails. Apart from when you cartwheel from puling out loops too low !!

Mine - I covered in film ... which turned out to be not such a good idea .. the film and foam have different expansion / contraction in temp changes and it's led to wrinkled film.



Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM
  #13  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Nice color scheme though, and, you can't tell when she's a flyin'!!!!! She looks like a true pattern plane.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
  #14  
crash_out
Misanthropic Member
 
crash_out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 557
Default

That looks an awful lot like a GWS Formosa....
crash_out is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 AM
  #15  
gramps2361
Community Moderator
 
gramps2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: oxford, MA
Posts: 7,050
Default

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
Funny you should mention Corsairs Gramps. Somewhere along the line I acquired 5 of those puppies. I plan to get rid of 3 of them and keep only one of the Flyzone F4U Select Scale Corsairs and my second generation Parkzone with the retracts. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy flying the warbirds, but there is just something about a fast aerobat and those double and triple axial rolls and spins that is just outta this world. I am just now getting into 3D but right now, knife edge flight, harries, hovering and stuff of that nature sure has me stumped. I practice all the time on the sim, but that just doesn't translate well to the real world. I can knife edge all day long on the sim.....but for real....not so much!!! Anyway, your welcome to one of the Corsairs, that is, if you fly out to SoCal and claim it. I don't ship!!!! LOL!!!!!

Chuck the corsair is one war plane I will all ways have in my hanger. One of my favorite planes of WW II.
gramps2361 is online now  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM
  #16  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Chuck the corsair is one war plane I will all ways have in my hanger. One of my favorite planes of WW II.
I agree. My second favorite is the Mosquito. I just got one of those a few months ago from Horizon Hobby and it's a great flyer.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 AM
  #17  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by crash_out View Post
That looks an awful lot like a GWS Formosa....
It also looks like a World of Models Commander pattern plane. What ever it is, I'm sure it is a sweet flyer.

I had a great time flying my aerobats today. I flew my Super Sportster and tried a move I never did before. I did a spin with about 5 rotations and then pulled out into a loop and did a double axial roll after I came out of the loop. My heart was pounding, but it felt great. Of course I had a lot of altitude to work with!!
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:11 AM
  #18  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

She does fly well ... even though she's smaller than a full F3A jobbie.

My problem is because she flies so well - I get over confident and have smashed her up twice ! First was when I gave wrong rudder stick in a low Knife Edge, so low that as soon as I realised - she'd already cartwheeled and snapped in two ! Second was a split s into a low pass to then climb into a reversal ... unfortunately I made the bottom of the pull out TOO low and she cartwheeled ... snapping her in two again !

The model flies so well, I'm seriously thinking of getting another and keep as the 'good one' and keep practicing with the first !

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:48 AM
  #19  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
She does fly well ... even though she's smaller than a full F3A jobbie.

My problem is because she flies so well - I get over confident and have smashed her up twice ! First was when I gave wrong rudder stick in a low Knife Edge, so low that as soon as I realised - she'd already cartwheeled and snapped in two ! Second was a split s into a low pass to then climb into a reversal ... unfortunately I made the bottom of the pull out TOO low and she cartwheeled ... snapping her in two again !

The model flies so well, I'm seriously thinking of getting another and keep as the 'good one' and keep practicing with the first !

Nigel
Ha, funny, I have actually done the same. I have my "beater" Super Sportster that I hit a pole with and broke the fuse in half. She went back together perfectly and flies like new. I bought another to have as a backup that is still in the box. I just happen to really love that plane.
Chucksolo69 is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 AM
  #20  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

I'd post up the links to the videos ... but I'm in China and cannot access Youtube for the url's

Will sort out later for you - or you can go to my channel : "solentlifeuk" .... check out how crazy I am !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM
  #21  
Chucksolo69
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Great Nigel, looking forward to it.
Chucksolo69 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13759 seconds with 15 queries