Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

AXI 4120/14 Big beastie..HELP HELP HELP.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Derek

Default AXI 4120/14 Big beastie..HELP HELP HELP.

I am electrifying a 12 foot wingspan sailplane as here in UK bungy launch isn't easy due to space as well as other benefits. Most items have been bought or selected for the job. The model motors AXI 4120/14 is bought.
I have scoured the webb for a suitable alloy cast motor MOUNT for this brushless job without success. The manufacturer markets a pressed steel version which I,m not keen on and will give me fitting probs. Hyperion (Hongkong) do one but just undersize to convert.
Any ideas Guys please? Does anybody know of a source??
Thanks...Derek.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Warden

Espirit Models has a dandy.

http://www.espritmodel.com/

It's a backplate and a frontplate that are connected by four aluminum rods. The rods come in different lengths so the distance between the plates is just about infinitely adjustable. With the different length rods you can extend the motor so the prop will sit right where you want it.

The backplate mounts to your firewall and the front of the motor attaches to the back of the front plate so the motor itself sits inside the four aluminum rods. It is a great mount. A little on the pricey side but still a great mount.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Derek

Default AXI 4120/14 mount

Thanks Warden. Yes, I know about this mount and tks for your input. It's the best mount I've found so far. Being front mount and 2.5" square it means that too much of the existing eliptacle/round nose of the fuselage has to be discarded. Also, leaves too little room for the motors main power leads which has to pass the outer high revolving case of the motor if mounted this way round.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:57 AM
tim hooper
Single-task man

Derek,

You've probably already thought about this, but what about reverse mounting the AXI?

Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by tim hooper View Post
Derek,

You've probably already thought about this, but what about reverse mounting the AXI?

You can tell my mind's in left field. Now this pic has me thinking Dornier Arrow again. Definitely some potential there.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Yes, Derek, what about the radial mount that tim hooper pictures? That's about as tight a mount as you're going to be able to find. Sounds like you need standoffs... Just build a plywood box, or use four hardwood blocks and long screws. Another option is to use the right size PVC pipe coupler cut down to the right length and clamped between the mount and the firewall, using long screws.

Really, the radial mount is the best solution in tight cowls.