Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

How to use Tiled plans

Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Default How to use Tiled plans

I just printed up the Tiled PDF Plans for an F22 from RC Foam Fighters. I have plenty of foam out in the garage and am excited to get started. Before I dive in, I thought I better check with you guys to see what the recommended method for using these plans is. I was planning on cutting the templates off the printer paper and just laying them on the foam and drawing around them with a sharpie. Is this the best way?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
cisc0box
Curious Owl

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7n1bl_howtopdf_tech
Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Thanks for the link!

I love that guy! Perfect how to...time to get started!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Another question...

On my plans it says "cut notch on this side for belly pan" or "cut notch on other side for tail fin".

Are these supposed to be holes all the way through the foam sheet? I guess I am confused on the definition of a "notch" in these planes.

If it is just supposed to be a hole all the way through, why not make the line solid like the outline of the plane? These lines are dotted...and there are lots of them.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

I think I just figured it out! It's a hole all the way through, I use the template on one side of the foam sheet for one set of holes, and then flip the foam over to cut out the holes in the other side (hence, "this side" and "other side" on the template. Correct?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 PM
cisc0box
Curious Owl

I don't have the plans in front of me but it sounds right. The great thing about foamies is even you "over cut" ... you can always tape or glue your mistake.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Ok, I just went out there and stared at it...I don't understand.

Here is the link to the plans...if you don't mind helping me understand the whole "notch" system, I would really appreciate it!

http://rcfoamfighters.com/FileDownlo...2%20Rev1-2.pdf
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Simply cut the notches the width of the piece that goes into it.
Thanks for posting this with the plans link. I'll be darned but I was just in the shop trying to figure out what to do with a spare motor. This is it!

One other option it to tape the plans together and cut through the paper (plan) and the foam all at once. Might need to tape the plan to the foam to keep it from moving. I find that if you do tape it, start with the inner most cuts and work your way out.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

There are other plans from them as well. All of them are free, so poke around their site.

http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/

I am through about 3/4 of the foam cutting process. Once I get everything cut out, I will go back and do the the bevel work as best I can. I have a feeling that is going to be the tough part...we will see how this goes.

I have never built anything like this...so it's a new adventure.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:22 AM
birdDog
Charging....

I have a theroy on the notches being "this side" and "opposite side". Since these plans are intended to use the foam board, they may be cutting the notches through one side of cardboard and through the foam, thus leaving the other side of cardboard in tact. Just a thought. I'm gonna use some 6mm depron, 1/4" blucor and foam board since I have limited amounts of all of these laying around. Hopefully I can build this without spending any more cash!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Rob, I got an email back from Paul at RC Foam Fighters, and you are spot on. Those instructions are for a cleaner looking build with paper backed or cardboard backed foam. Same goes for the "fold here" lines, if you have a backing on your foam you can cut through just the foam and leave the backing and then fold. I will have to cut clean though as I am using blue foam from the hardware store. If this build goes well, I will probably do it again with better foam.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM
birdDog
Charging....

If you can find 22"x28" you can jostle the plan around to do it in two sheets. The cardboard ads some weight but also a lot of strength.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Something I do when using tiled plans is to stick them to the foam with Scotch "Restickable" Glue Sticks (Walmart). You stick the plans to the foam, cut directly over the plans and remove the plans after cutting. It is much easier than pinning, drawing then cutting.

Rick