Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

$69 RTF Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub, yep it flys !

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

$69 RTF Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub, yep it flys !

Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Default $69 RTF Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub, yep it flys !

We are going bargain basement here, as only $69 complete with transmitter, newbie recently puchased one of these and put it up for him only yesterday, was too windy day before, and only made a bunnie hop flight, checking the COG decided it needed adjustment forward abit...

So last evening waited for below 10 MPH winds to subside and finally off we go, did the standard hand toss, had the elevator slightest up as I'm use to on the Super Cub, went off very well, kept into the breeze and it gained nice altitude ! I was getting ecstatic, went smoothly and nice speed as not too fast for the beginner, motor is abit underpowered, had it up full throttle, but managed nice turns, even gave the newbie a few trys on the stick and he held it well against the steady breeze, when it last turned on him, took the controls back and simply circled around, I was getting excited on this one, is not the larger plane, but gads, not bad for a starter...not zoomy at all as I expected...made well over 5 to 7 minute flight, lowered the throttle and it came in on the grass, slight nose up but easy landing, it does look rather durable, I still give the Super Cub the top choice, but if your after a knock about or limited funds, this might be the ticket..

Note we tried Flyzones version and loads of issues on it, perhaps simply received a bad one, but it failed to gain altitude and finally met its match on a solid crash..and it was twice the price with high freq transmitter, live and learn...<>..

Meanwhile I had to order the Exceed Cub for myself, just to have another fun flyer, see if the first was a winner fluke...fingers crossed...<>.

Some of my favored's todate

Super Cub, Later Night Flights
T28 Trojan Warbird
Radian Sailplane, off the chart thermaling
MCX Coaxial Heli
Blade 400

Bargain basement fun
S008 thats s zero zero 8, fun toy heli from Xheli $25 !!
Exceed Cub $69, looks good todate..<>.

One of the suppliers for the $69 Exceed Cub RTF

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html

Added note:
Before rushing out and buying this one please note its tricky on the launch, it must fly out a long ways before making airspeed, added delema for any newbie, we have two of these models and both were not balanced out of the box, required adding nose weight, current COG Center Of Gravity, is around 1 3/4 inches from the leadning edge of the wings, will be just behind the front of the leading as it starts from the leading edge or about 1/3 of the way past the front edge lettering...I decked in both planes on the maidens, its a fooler, you want to manuver too soon, once airborne with enough distance to reach it and have it at last flying, its a very gentle bird, slow flyer, not a zoomer, rather nice trainer if you can pull off the launch..<>...

Below check out the video especially on the brushed motor one, note he's a 3D pilot but decked his in twice before going out far enough for airspeed, it does show how durable a plane it is, too hard of a knock and you will have damages, both of ours have red badge of courage cracks, but easy tape fixes, all part of the learning experience..Good Luck On Yours .<>.

Currently have now several flights and pleased with its rather predictable flight after making airspeed, it will make nice altitude and flys stable if you have all the correct trims and balance, please don't forget to cycle the nickel battery, out of the box run the battery down with throttle, till the motor stops, the included charger will take just over 3 hours with a fully depleted battery, cycled battery gives more power and extended flight time, a must..<>.warning the charger does not cut off, simply check the charge by feeling the warmth of the battery, fully charged will be nice and warm, don't let it get too hot...<>...

Nearing 2 dozen flights have a fair idea on its behavior

1. Far from overpowered, you need to let it fly out quite aways to reach airspeed, fools the experienced as viewed in videos
2. Once airborne becomes very docile and predictable provided you have it trimmed out, two models of these both required nose weight, COG about 1 3/4 inches from leanding edge
2a. Cycle that battery, mandatory or simply won't fly ! First charge run it all the way down, then recharge and your ready..
3. Ground take off will make it, but need a long path to reach airspeed, full throttle, rudder should hold things straight, eventually lifts into the wind very low take off...
4. Hand launch I prefer, just medium firm toss, slight push off underneath but still straight out aids to height and helps on the low launch, again goes out quite aways for airspeed, no turning right away.
5. Its a very slow flyer, really not bad for the beginner, and makes it an excellent candidate for later Night Flights, handles well and able to keep this one close..nice
6. Weakness is this time period required for reaching airspeed, be ready for that, keep things level, don't let it freeze in the air and your in for some fun flying.
7. Not aware of anything this inexpensive that will fly for you, $69 complete, a winner !!!
8. Note are superior planes out there, but few even close to this low investment !!

Its not a serious plane, just have fun, nice knockabout, not too bad a trainer..<>..

BEST ..<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 09-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
baron2010

phillipmorris hey sure glad to see this report, as I ordered my exceed j-3cub
ysterday....should be here next monday...hope it will go as well for me as
you folks....be my second plane, 1st 3 channel...I am looking forward to it...
thanks again
don
BTW can u explain to another newbie how to check the COG?
thanks again

Last edited by baron2010; 08-26-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Wish you only success, do the simulation even the free FMS simulator will help tremendously, so have some practice first please...

On the COG, the owner wisely placed it just behind the front lettering on the leading edge or just barely past the beginning of the lettering near the leading edge, usually you want about 27 percent back from the leading edge, don't go too far back tail heavy or gets to difficult to control, I would put the slightest uptrim on the elevator, just a tad, don't over due it...

Secret on getting this abit underpowered puppie to fly is to let it go out aways and gain some airspeed, watch the nose and keep it level, then ever so slightly make the turn after reaching some altitude, just a very small up trim on the turns won't need too much, it flew rather well for a small flyer, I was actually shocked on how well it handled..

I did do one take off in winds off the pavement but this one does better with hand launch so have someone else throw it straight out, not up or down, simply straight forward into the wind...likely you know all this but for any newbies hope this helps..

Fingers crossed mine will fly as well...Keep us posted...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
baron2010

Thanks a bunch for this....yes I'm practicing on my sim for sure...
thanks again
don
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

After flying this one, am hooked so have one on order, heck for $69...but won't arrive till tuesday, rainy lately anyway so viewed some youtube, came across this amazing video on the Exceed Cub, its beyond words, hope you enjoy it, he updated brushless etc, but was having maiden flight issues, ours did much better with the stock setup, totally amusing, finally gets it to fly, my hats off to him for a wonderful full entertainment video !

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtSaAPdNjo&feature=related[/media]

Note he does look down on the supplied transmitter, it is in the lower class, but I've flown several of these value type flyers, all similar equipment, just the slide throttle is different, otherwise close to the regular transmitters for me, right stick controls the elevator and rudder nicely...my maiden with this one, all was fully functional...<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 08-28-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
baron2010

Heck if mine stands up to crashes like his did, I got no worries LOL...thanks
for the link.
don
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yep they are rather durable, another plus for this one, now for the long wait on mine tuesday...

A note - be sure and cycle the nickel battery, when it arrives run it down completely till the motor stops, improve after cycling, when your done flying run it down again before charge, you will have longer flight times doing this...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Another nice video flying stock, like his yellow shirt matching the plane, ex heli pilot, did very well...dang weather was great last evening, anxious to receive the Cub, still waiting as due around Tuesday...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIs5SZUAb5E&feature=related[/media]
Old 08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
baron2010

Smile

Morning Phillip, yeah I'm tracking my j-3 online LOL...and its across the missouri river at kansas city kansas, so I may even get mine today!! hmmmm, wonder if my wife would dye one of my white "T's"? LOL...
don
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I'm going to check for a yellow shirt, a must have...hah ..<>..

Good Luck, please keep us informed, you'll have a better chance with an experienced pilot, take your time...make sure the COG is correct, tail heavy they are hard to handle and refuse to rise...be patient, I suggest the hand launch with someone else doing the level toss, and please wait for the winds to die down, have enough to deal with...gads, mine still looks like Tuesday, sigh...<>..
Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 AM
baron2010

Yeah, mine didn't make it in today dag nab it!! LOL..I don't have
anyone to help me with it tho, but will definitely hand launch like i
did the avion...looking forward to it...mebbe we'll start an unofficial
J3Cub $69 thread LOL...
don
Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Ya just gotta love those light planes, they really roll with the punches. You also had a great crowd in the first vid! Good job.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
baron2010

I got my $69 j-3 cub in today..yeaaay....currently charging both my tx and plane batts, then will cylcle the plane batt a couple times...then put the plane together...they had a "one sheet" instruction paper in the box...nothing about balance or COG...but will do the best I can...everything was in fine
shape in the box, cept I notice a little sloppy work on the decal stuff, smoothed it all out the best I could...nobody gonna see it but me anyhow!!lol..
Will start a new thread when I see how well I do flying the little thing!!
don
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Possible over-charge on the battery, my friend had his Exceed Cub out tonight, he likely over-charged as 3 hours or more and mentioned it was very hot, it didn't fly well, he's not familiar to charging cycle, hope the battery isn't fried, yikes....

Meanwhile mines due Tuesday, anxious to see how it flys..<>...BEST ..<>..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
gamegeezer
maker of craters...

Sorry... didn't meen to hi-jack the thread w/ a Cessna question =) So i created a noew post... disregard this one.

~Thanks, Jim
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Received mine late today, and barely time to fly before dusk...took a few attempts to get it going, as takes longer for airspeed than my other flyers..once airborne not too bad, it failed to make decent altitude on my maiden but several minutes of fun flight..earlier made a hard landing, did a crack on the rear fuselage, easy tape fix...

Meanwhile my newbie flyer also took abit to get the required airspeed, last airborne gave him the controls, his reached decent altitude, and he was able to make his very first rc flight, lasted several minuutes, his brief FMS simulation helped, finally turned on him for a firm crash, but minimal damage on the front fuse, easy repair, this ones tuff !!

I strongly suggest especially on this bird, to have a qualified rc pilot, even he may find it requires some effort to reach airpseed during the launch, once its flying, handles rather well...

Note this one doesn't fly right out of the box, am still tweaking for the best COG Center Of Gravity settings and trims, best I can say is its close to just behind the front of the lettering towards the leading edge on the wings, very slight uptrim on the elevator is optional, be careful don't overdue it or will stall on release, it does best with a firm hand launch, takes abit of a pavement run to reach speed to take off, prefer the hand launch...<>..

I personally would suggest the newbie fly the Super Cub, its set to fly right out of the box, and has plenty of power for flight, after airborne it cruises at 1/2 throttle with ease for near 20 minute flight with proper cycled battery...<>..

But the Exceed is less than 1/2 the cost, and if your successful with it, its a bargain flyer..<>..
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM
baron2010

Hey good to hear you got urs up Phillip, mine is ready to go, but raining
today durn it...I had to adjust the servos on mine as they were off, got the batt cycled once and recharged...but weather looks iffy until saturday....
don
Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Nope, its not a fluke this one will fly, but I'm strongly concerned on newbies keeping things level before it reaches airspeed, only then input the turns etc..will challenge a seasoned flyer with the lower stock motor...

Now I already had one going for a newcomer, and I still had issues on the maiden flight, decked it in the first times, finally got it going, but admit I was in a hurry and had some tape fastening going on as to fly before dark only just received it late yesterday...

Be patient with this one, my battery wasn't cycled, another in the hurry error, as my 2nd flight this early morning at daybreak, zero wind, went up beautifully after reaching airpeed, took off the slightest up elevator setting and flew near 8 minutes at around 85 to 90 perchent throttle, I'm impressed !

It doesn't zoom at all, very friendly easy flyer, may try a loop next flight, enjoying the success on the 2nd flight..for $69, not bad...<>..

Was getting a question on the COG Center Of Gravity, is about 1 3/4 inches, just under 2 inches, felt slightest tail heavy, but with the effort it takes to get this one airborne, you really don't want it nose heavy at all...

I prefer the very slightest up elevator, just barely up, don't go overboard here, with right sticks it will handle flush, but the clutz flyer I am, need all the help I can get...

I cut the power inflight incase I ran the motor out, which I did ! Keep it flying, drop the nose just slightly to keep things flying, then try to flare at the last, I ended up in the grass for safety, and course nose up on the landing but soft...was great...

Wish you luck on yours...be patient....<>...

Note newbies, if it doesn't fly right off the bat, don't be discouraged, it takes some effort to hold things level, and don't do any turns etc till it reaches airspeed, it has to go out aways, only then slowly do the slightest inputs..use max throttle, it needs it ! After airborne you can reduce speed but for me it was very slight reduction, kept it near 90 percent throttle...

Tho I made one take off with the other flyers Exceed from the pavement, I liked the hand launch much better, if your new to all this have someone else toss, don't let them throw it up, simply straight out, nice firm toss, keep that nose down and wings level, eventually you'll make it !
Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Tho only just over 1/2 dozen flights can say from my experience with this one...

We have two of these with the other flyer, so assume they all are likely to fly the same...

1. Do the hand launch, extra height on release, it needs it !
2. Max Throttle all the way, did hold well at 85 to 90 percent throttle crusing
3. Does have some glide to it, but requires lowering the nose slightly to keep airspeed on any deadstick landing
4. I'm still concerned on newbies getting this one in the air, it takes patience to reach airspeed before doing the turns
5. Once in the air it behaves very normal, no suprises, do easy inputs, has near trainer behavior
6. Personally I would have a seasoned pilot launch this one for you, its tricky to get airborne at the start..tho I think some newbies just might pull it off...
7. Be sure and cycle the battery on receipt, run it all the way down with the motor, it takes near 3 hours to become fully charged with included charger when depleted, but don't let it overheat, will become slightly uncomfortable inhand at max charge, nicely warm is fine...
8. If your able to get this one going, its worth the low $69 investment...
9. I used very slightest up elevator, but flush works as well, just a preference..your option

BEST ..<>..

Couple notes on how it behaved for me, it wants to stall but will reach airspeed if you keep the nose level as well as the wings, if your turned too soon, which is likely on maiden, it will nose down on you or turn into the turf, you simply didn't give it enough time to fly out for airspeed...mine drops about waist high before making airspeed, leaving little room for error...easy on the inputs and again if the battery is cycled, eventually you'll make it..take your time...if you have trim and balance correct it will reach altitude after reaching airpseed, keep a comfortable height and lower the throttle so your ready for any power cut off, dead stick landings for the seasoned pilots are easy, behaves well, again drop that nose for airspeed and flare near touchdown..

COG and corrent trim is important for any plane, this one needs about 1 3/4 inch mark from the leading edge, out of the box both required nose weight, as received the balance was nearly half way from the leading edge not even close to the plus or minus 30 percent on most flyers..

So how far till it reaches airspeed, times may vary, but past a baseball infield is about minimum, just beyond that is about right, sounds like the normal flyers except this one again to me is slightly underpowered except when airspeed met, then all is well...Super Cub example has power to burn and takes off the pavement well under 20 feet, this one needs alot more, do the hand launch tho to avoid stall at least during the maidens...

Last edited by phillipmorris; 09-02-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Worked yesterday but managed an afternoon flight, was breezy, winds just under 10 MPH but flew pretty well, actually hit some lift and had to concentrate on it not reaching too high an altitude, flying in a slightly tight area but managed to keep it close, winds kept me from doing loops etc, still a fun flight, some onlookers watched and the litte daughter really enjoyed seeing the yellow bird fly, on landing she promplty came over and let her carefully pick the plane up, but she didn't want to let go, perhaps a new flyer in the making, was charming...<>..
Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

baron2010
Likely your having some effort on flying this one, the real secret is getting the blame thing to reach airpseed before hitting the turf, as the take offs on mine are rather low and again leave little margin for error, I flew again this morning and after the battery started to run down, like to completely cycle it down, anyway did a launch with it as the battery ran down and it was really low and didn't gain much altitude tho I was simply draining the battery, so its indeed a handful on the take off, but once airborne, nice smooth flying with correct inputs, tried a lazy loop at altitude and wasn't the strongest but did make it, fun knock about plane, but I'm getting very skeptical for getting this one to speed on launch for the newbie, not easy at all...BEST ..<>..

Don't feel bad at all if you keep having issues, as even seasoned flyer usually fail on the first attempts as shown in many of the youtube video's, best flyer I've found is the Super Cub, some like slow sticks, etc, but the Super Cub was and still is my all time favored ..<>..

Lost count on the number of times my Exceed decked in on the maidens, partly in a hurry, and not a fully cycled battery, but the real effort is to let it fly out quite aways before makeing any turns etc, and its out very low least for me before reaching airspeed..<>..
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
baron2010

Thanks for all input on the cub phillip, as it happens I have not had
a chance to fly yet...mebbe late today....just enuff wind to scare me
away from trying rite now...but I dang sure appreciate all your experience
you are sharing!!!! Will let u all know when I get to try it!!!
thanks again...
don
edit....my field is next to cemetary LOL..and today is a funeral, so out of respect I don't try to fly!!
don
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Wait for good conditions for the maiden, you certainly don't want too much wind....

Mine behaves as follows:
Do the hand launch into the wind, have the slightest up elevator but thats your option, flush also correct, tendency is to pull up as it settles, huge mistake, let it fly out and it likely will drop around waist or even knee level, let it go out keeping the nose and wings level quite aways, past the distance of a baseball infield, then and only then do the flat turn minimum inputs, if all is well will gain altitude...the launch is the most difficult with its required distance to reach airspeed, then all is normal...wish the best ...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Still learning:

For a fun inexpensive plane, really enjoying this one, flying it all stock, motor isn't the most aggressive to say the least, but just enough for a docile flyer...

Trims are improving, nearing flush now on launch, very slightest up elevator, then trim it to level inflight, for others flush elevator is indeed correct, simply your option, later can reduce throttle slightly to extend flight times, however maiden and first flights keep it full throttle for easier handling, believe still below 10 minutes but not bad for a knockabout....did two loops one sideways the other complete, barely made it, not into stunt flying with this one but cute to see it pull it off...looks are rather impressive inflight, after use to its habits, made nice low flybys..<>..neat..<>..

Fine tuning the launch, its still straight out as you should, but slightest push off underneath to gain over head higher altitude on release, absolutely no nosing up on the throw please, helps on the low angle take off and long flight to reach airspeed. Keep this one going out quite aways before inputs, even fools the experienced flyer as shown on several youtubes..<>.

Very smooth flying tho slow on the speed, I believe an asset for the newbie, just go easy on the controls, do flat turns, slight up elevator for level turning as expected..

Only fault is the low angle take off and motor isn't the strongest, but it pulls it off making a very fun flyer, and the price, your going to find hard to beat, $69 complete..I have no issue with the slide throttle as had these with many of the other low cost trainers, right stick functions nicely, all complete package, thumbs up but I would still suggest an experienced rc flyer to get this puppie airborne, the only issue on this neat little guy...

Important to have this one trimmed right where the experienced pilot can help you, COG both planes were tail heavy out of the box likely as yours will be, simply add some nose weight, COG Center Of Gravity location seems to be around 1 3/4 inches from the leading edge, don't go nose heavy as this one needs all the help it can get to make airborne, but don't go too far back as will lose control...<>. BEST ..<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 09-04-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
baron2010

Dang it phillip, I can't get the winds to settle down so I can do my
first test flite GRRRRRR....but I'm sure glad you are posting your
experiences with this little guy!!! still cloudy and windy here, so just
have to twiddle thumbs LOL....
thanks
don

Quick Reply: $69 RTF Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub, yep it flys !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10490 seconds with 13 queries