RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Towerpro (Towardpro?) MG996R? Or alternative?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM
HugoW

Default Towerpro (Towardpro?) MG996R? Or alternative?

Hi,

I'm looking for some serious power servos to fit to my new Funtana 2x2m plane. I need 10kg each on aerleron, 10 on rudder and 10 on elevator (5 each). Many people fly it with Hitec 645MG and/or two 225 on the elevator. I'm not planning on using split elevator servos.

Now I'm a happy HobbyCity customer, they're the reason I can afford the hobby. They sell the Towerpro (actually the sticker says towardpro) MG996R. It get's good reviews, is supposed to be a lot better then the 995 (which was crap, the wires often broke from the circuit board...) On this forum, searching on the MG996 gives me one mentioning of them in a very nice EFD plane topic, but no opinions / reviews. So, anyone have any experience with them?

Or if you have a good alternative to mention, please do. Even the split elevator option is still open, if you have a good sollution for it.

Thanks,

Hugo

Last edited by HugoW; 03-15-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM
jooNorway

One cheap gadget form HC which a lot of my friends and I have been using for a while and even dare to put in some of the expensive ships: Power HD9150.
I have just ordered two dozens more, going to put them in a 3-meter Bellanca, propably a Sig Rascal 110, already installed in a Taxi2400 and plan to use some of them in a Hector (TUG) and one of my larger acro/scale gliders (ASK18).
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
HugoW

Hey, thanks, those look nice. I might go for the 9110, the 10kg version. Just a question, were any of those big planes you mention gassers? I've decided (sorry, budget...) not to go electric with this one, but fit a 26cc ZG gasser.

And in one of the reviews someone mentiones 'no grommets, no screws'. And no servo arms??? Is that normal, or did that person just have bad luck?

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
jooNorway

Hey Hugo.

My friends who told me to try these servoes all fly gassers. My Taxi is a gasser, use a 35ccm MVVS with tuned pipe.

The Hector and the Bellanca both will become gassers, ZDZ 80 SuperJ in both. My Rascal is still under construction, but this will become a silent slow acro using electric motor (Actro). Yes, expensive, but the Rascal is supposed to become a very special plane

I think I will try some of the smaller Power HD servoes for elevators, just because my friends and my experience with 9150 is this good.

When it comes to grommets, screws and servohorns I have got "everything" when I have ordered, but I have read some people have not got these things... Futaba horns do fit.