Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Pre Flight Sim

Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Default Pre Flight Sim

Okay, so a friend of mine couldn't get FMS to work with Vista and his Futaba controller, so he bought a Mile High Wings adapter (usb). With it came demos for PreFlight RC (as well as others).

Does anyone here have any experience with this sim? I loaded the demo and found it to be mediocre compared to Clearview and even FMS in spots. It did seem pretty smooth, but I couldn't test my controller with it because it's only a demo version...but we're interested in getting connected over a Lan or Internet.

Some things that I've found are that their web page is hard to read for me. Using negative background techniques makes it pretty, and all those cute colors are just greeeeaaaat, but I'm looking for information, the runway I'm looking for has an airplane on it, not a fashion show.

I know....G3...right. Ain't gonna happen.

Clearview will not work with his Intel video card on his laptop and Vista (thanks, Microsoft, for designing yet another car that won't drive on every road in America). Maybe their move toward releasing some source code will help....in the next six months or so.

When you crash in PreFlight...is that it? No bounce? No feedback? No spin when you come in inverted and the tip of your bipe catches the ground on an unintended landing? Just......<<pause program..report damage..await F12>>? Some of those crashes in Clearview are pretty cool. But with PreFlight it just seems like it sticks in the quicksand.

The airshow feature is appealing. We would like to get a group of guys together via wireless lan and fly together, quite possibly incorporating one of the laptops onto a big screen tv during one of our fund raiser burger feeds. We're thinking that it would be fun to watch some of the kids fly with an actual transmitter in front of everyone, as well as drum up some interest....but I digress....

So, in summary:
FMS: No LAN capability.
Clearview: Won't work with my friend's Vista versus Intel Video card.
PreFlight: Is this all I can expect?
G3: Ain't gonna happen. Too much bill.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
bassplayinDude

Well, there are still a couple of free sims out there:

www.heli-x.net -- click union jack for English
www.marksfiles.net -- another free r/c heli sim

If you search for pre-flight v1.95 you may be able to find the last fully free edition of this software. I know I found it a couple weeks ago when I looked for it, but it took a bit of searching to find it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Oh...really?

I'm on it!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Well, I did manage to find it, but it came without the airshow feature, which is really the driving issue behind the purchase here. Looks like it'll be tested tonight.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

But wait! There's more! I also found out that I need the proper software to work with my microphone cable. I don't suppose anyone would have a copy of that software, would they? I'm not asking for a licensing key, I have that, I purchased it. Just for microphone-enabled version of the software itself. I'll put my own key in it and enable it from there.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 PM
bassplayinDude

Are you talking about PPJoy / SmartPropoPlus?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

No, you helped me with that, and thanks again, btw. PPJoy and sppp show my transmitter as a virtual device in the control panel. I can configure it, no problem, it works well with other sims. But when I start clearview it asks me what interface, whereupon it allows com1 through com4, microphone, and none. I select microphone, but then it retorts that "this version of Pre-flight does not support the microphone interface. Please purchase the cable (which comes with the proper version of Pre-flight) if you wish to use the microphone interface." Well, I don't need the cable, I just need the software, which I've already purchased. If someone has the enabled version, I'll input my own activation key that I bought.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
theflyingdrummer

Hello - are any of you still using the airshow feature or interested? I have set up a server however my friend is having trouble logging in, has anyone had success?.... cheers
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
jcwilliams2012

Default pre flight sim

I ordered the Preflight Blade Edition sim along time ago and got the email with the activation code, but i accidentally erased it. Could some one PLEASE email me a code so that I can update my program. My email is jcwilliams atyahoo.com no spaces