Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

super cub, 1st plane , first flights

Old 09-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Panel guy

Default super cub, 1st plane , first flights

Flight #1 was 12 seconds, I froze, holding the remote in my hand wondering what I should do next. Then I glued the 1 piece wing back together with rubber cement :-)

Ahh.................. the cool mist, fog and breeze blowing at a blustery 8 mph at 6:00 pm.

Flight #2 scheduled to depart from my hand into the breeze (in the middle of the hay field, rather than my back yard as flt #1 was) .
Wow 3 ovals with approx 600 ft diameter, climb, bank, turn- up elevator, throttle down , coast, .............crap how do I get this down.(ughhhhhhh. don't turn left @ 50 ft high without pulling back on the elev.) No damage except to my pride, and 10 mins playing elastic band hide and seek

Flight #3 6:40 pm after wife forced me to come in for dinner. Reattached wings with the supplied rubber bands, I could only find 3. Wife, 2 kids "dad, make it fly closer to us" (no way I am scared sh!tless when it's coming towards me!!!) After 5 mins of circles, ovals, straight, climb, Holy cow look at how far away it is from us now girls, I can't tell if I have it going away or coming towards us. ( Thinking that going straight up would let me see profile better at 1000 ft + away)

That was when I learned that rubber cement is not strong enough to hold the previously broken styro wing together. I have a couple of parts I need to get at the hobby shop on the way home tonight.

That was sooooooo fun.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Good Job!! Welcome aboard.

Rubber cement???! (lol)

Pick up some foam safe CA and some kicker. That will save you a lot of grief.

Let's hear about day #2.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:04 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer, PG! Crash or perfect landing, it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun - that's the name of the game!

That Super Cub's a tough little booger; glad to hear all you cracked up was the wing. Your local hobby shop probably has some foam-safe CA (superglue) there that will work a lot better repairing things like that in the future than rubber cement. Another good idea is to wrap packing tape around the broken seam once or twice. You can fix a LOT with packing tape and CA.

Those new wing's aren't too awfully expensive, though (believe me, I know ), so no worries there, either. Hope you get back up in the air soon and keep on havin' a ball!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Panel guy

Hey a whole new lingo to learn too!!!! I took your advice and got some super glue (aka CA), I already have a kicker at home(aka wife :-). the repair is as good as new wraped in tape too..
Flight #4 leaves my hand at 5:50 pm perfectly parallel to the ground, and is not disrupted by any motion as the air is perfectly still. I can see the plane in the distance very well as there are very dark clouds which are a good contrast to the white plane.
Throttle down to stop climbing, turn left, elv up, continue back. Tried a couple more turns, figure 8, then climb with throttle and elev. About 10 mins latter the battery power on the 8.4 v got low, and I couldn't keep it up. I was able to gently (almost a landing!!) allow gravity to work. !!!No repairs needed!!!
I also bought a 9.6 v and had it in my pocket. So I swaped out the 2 batteries.
Flight #5 starts right after my kicker made me come in to eat. Now 6:45, and I am thinking I should maybe become a pilot for a comercial airline, as I think I can fly this chunk of styrofoam around a 25 acre hay field behind my house without drilling for oil with the prop.
I now think that I can fly this up to my house and land on the driveway. Nope............... The large willow tree in the back is currently where the super cub is hanging, about 60 ft in the air. No damage, just nicely placed. I had been hoping there was no wind........Now I would like a little wind to help get it down. :-)
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Leo L

Well Done! You've managed to discover some of the biggest enemies to R/C flight: wind, ground and trees. There are others, like electrical power lines, light poles, houses, etc., so take your time about discovering these enemies.

If you go to RCUniverse or RCGroups, you can find some threads about how to get a plane out of a tree. The basic concept is to get a strong line around the branch close to the plane, then shake it out. People have used tennis balls, stones, arrows, etc., with fishing line or other lightweight strong line to hook the branch. Use your imagination, but get the plane down before it rains. A little damage from falling out of the tree is better than a lot of damage to the electronics from rain.

Some people swear by CA for repairing the foam. I've never had good results with CA, so I rely on 5 minute epoxy. Hold the parts together for 5 minutes to let the epoxy set, then reinforce the area with clear packing tape. For extra strength, use the tape with the reinforcement strands in it.

Most flyers have experienced the types of problems that you have faced so far. Unfortunately, crashes are a part of the learning experience. You have selected a very nice plane with which to learn to fly. Good luck and keep us updated on your flights.

PS: Get a couple of Airhogs Aeroace planes (no substitutions) from Toy-R-Us, Target, etc. at $30 each and get your girls and your wife started in flying.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Panel guy

Ok, got the plane down.................... That was harder than trying to fly. I won't tell you about the football, wood sticks, small stones, 2 beer bottles and shaking the 3.5 ft diam tree.
Method that worked :
fishing rod with 20lb pro line braid. Golf ball tied on to end of line. wrapped f.line around 1 direction, used clear packing tape I bought for wing repair to tape, then wraped line around the equator of the ball and taped again. (the other objects I tied on were not able to cut through the leaves to go around the proper branch). Took the spool off of fishing reel so line would undo freely. Threw the golf ball (many times) until I got the proper branch. I shook the living daylights out of the branch until the plane dropped (only about 4 ft first time) I repeated until I caught it.
:-)
That was cool too.
Fri Sat and Sun the plane will be in the air by prop, not branch
Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Leo L

Its amazing how trees seem to jump up and grab planes out of mid-air. The best thing is to fly at least 50ft. above the tallest tree. I've yet to see a tree that is able to jump that high.

Glad to hear that you were able to recover your plane. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

True story:
The last time I got a plane in a tree - and this was my 4th plane in a tree (you would think I would have learned by now) - I couldn't help thinking about all the methods I had to use the last 3 times:
High pressure washer while standing on a ladder
Football
40' of wobbly PVC
Yelling obscenities (the lease effective)
My neighbor's tractor with bucket

Anyway, since it was on my farm and it was my tree and it was a scrub tree (even though it was over 40' at this point), and it was at the edge of the field, I chain sawed the little SOB down. I got my plane and a winter's worth of firewood.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
MountainFlyer

Hey! ive never hit a tree! ( mainly because i live in a desert )
but i have ran into a flag pole ( actually much harder to hit than a tree )

Anyway, sounds like you're having fun, Keep flying! it gets better
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Panel guy

Smile

Hi, had a couple of great flights today (Sat) My kicker took the pics.... in # 131 you can kind of see the airfield I cut into the hay. I can take off, but I can't hit the landing strip on return. Good thing the hay and clover make the landing more gentle.
I do have a question w.r.t. fling towards yourself. Aiming at the runway. What would the steps be. Throttle way down to drop elevation, when lined up, or elevator to drop ? Should I throttle up just for a sec when near the ground to take the nose up. I am having trouble with the speed I seem to be approching my home made runway being too fast.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Panel guy

I thought I attached some pics, ? I don't know where they went ?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Panel guy

Smile

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	holding.JPG
Views:	2064
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	16753   Click image for larger version

Name:	in the air.JPG
Views:	1693
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	16754   Click image for larger version

Name:	the field.JPG
Views:	1402
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	16755   Click image for larger version

Name:	above the air field.JPG
Views:	1511
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	16756   Click image for larger version

Name:	the horizon.JPG
Views:	1445
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	16757  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fly by.JPG
Views:	1492
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	16758   Click image for larger version

Name:	family retrival.JPG
Views:	1666
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	16759  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Twister

Cool pics! I'm so jealous. I have my brand new Super Cub and I can not fly it. The wind here is 12 mph with 20 mph gusts. It looks like a will be lucky if I get to fly it before Tuesday

This morning it was 2-5 mph with 8 mph gusts and I decided not to try it...I was so tempted.

Are you not using the wing struts? In that first picture I can not see them.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Panel guy

Originally Posted by Twister View Post
Cool pics! I'm so jealous. I have my brand new Super Cub and I can not fly it. The wind here is 12 mph with 20 mph gusts. It looks like a will be lucky if I get to fly it before Tuesday

This morning it was 2-5 mph with 8 mph gusts and I decided not to try it...I was so tempted.
I didn't wait on the first day. The wind was too strong and I broke the wing in 2 Just wait. The wing struts little c part that clips to the wing broke on the first crash (that is the only not worthy part so far)!!!!
You are going to love it.

Last edited by Panel guy; 09-17-2006 at 01:19 AM. Reason: forgot info
Old 09-17-2006, 09:15 PM
MountainFlyer

this is how "I" normally land:

Depending on how well the plane glides i normally throttle back to half or less as im on my down wind leg getting the plane down to 40 feet or so altitude then make the turn to line up with the runway ( im normally 50 to 75 yards away from the end of the runway at this point ) then as i approach the runway depending on how long the runway is i reduce throttle to around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, or what ever gets the aircraft to start a gentle decent at about 5 feet or so above the runway i normally chop the throttle to off (most park flyers deadstick land just fine. Even my Mini Funtana lands perfectly with the motor off) this will normally cause the plane to drop a bit be ready to catch it with a "bit" of up elevator but not to much. You don't want to give up too much air speed and stall it. Now use the elevator to flare the aircraft just before the wheels touch down ( a few inches off the deck normally ) this if done correctly will let the wheels touch the ground ever so lightly if on gravel or hard surfaced runways just let the aircraft roll out using the rudder to keep it strait until it stops. If your landing in grass thats taller than the grass on a golf green you will want to start adding "up" elevator after the main wheels are down ( not too much though you don't want it to try and take back off ) to keep the tail planted on the ground as the plane rolls to a stop or you'll do a nice ground loop. also if you still have a bit of throttle remember to chop the throttle off just before touchdown .. saves on props if you have a less than perfect landing also if your just not happy with the way the landing is proceeding remember you can always add power and go around for another try

Mark

Last edited by MountainFlyer; 09-18-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Panel guy

Talking

[/quote]

PS: Get a couple of Airhogs Aeroace planes (no substitutions) from Toy-R-Us, Target, etc. at $30 each and get your girls and your wife started in flying.[/quote]
This is too fun, I got the girls 1 of these air pigs today to share. It is a little bit smaller than it looks on the i-net, but you can crash it fly it into the house and cars, without spending a small fortune!!!!! So far I have spent more time flying this around. They love it too. As soon as it is not as windy (maybe tomorow) we will fly together. Thank you so much for the idea. (Only $39.00 Canadian)
Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Leo L

Glad to hear of the fun that you and your family are having with flying. Keep us updated.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Panel guy

Had a very nice evening flight. I was able to use up all of the 8.4 and 9.6 tonight I thought about trying a loop climbed way up started the dive and chickened out, but there is tomorow ??................... . My 6 yr old also flew her airhog aeroace. It was a truely beautiful evening. I will try and attach some pics I took with my LH while I was flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	17111   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	17112   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	1090
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	17113   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	17114   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	17115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	17116   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	17117   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	1027
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	17118   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	1576
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	17119   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1817
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	17120  

Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 AM
FL_SuperCub_Flyer

Those are some awesome pictures! I just bought the SuperCub a couple of weeks ago and took it to the air in a small field and let me tell you, it was a lot of fun to fly. Unfortunately I ran it into a 20 ft chain link tennis court fence and broke the propeller. No problem for me because the SuperCub came with 2 propellers. Then after replacing the prop, I took the cub to a larger unobstructed area where I was able to fly it without running into anything; however, the wind was approximately 10+ mph so it was very difficult to fly, especially during the landing! Needless to say, I busted the 2nd prop, 2 wing struts and cracked the front cowel. While I was a bit bummed about busting the 2nd prop, I was very delighted to find that replacement parts are VERY cheap. In addition to purchasing the parts, I definitely want to get 1 or more of those 9.6v batteries so I can charge the spent batteries while I'm flying with a fresh battery. While the stock 8.4V battery seems to gives you an ample amount of flight time and power, I would like to know what differences are there in terms of power and/or flight time do you get when you use the 9.6V

I almost purchased an E-Flite CX Pro electric helicopter instead of the SuperCub and let me tell you I'm glad I didn't buy the heli. Has anyone purchased any of the x-port add-ons for the SuperCub? They seem really cool. My 4-yr old daughter would get a kick out of watching the parachute guy fall from the plane!

Last edited by FL_SuperCub_Flyer; 10-22-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:00 AM
FL_SuperCub_Flyer

By the way, I'm wondering how equitable it would be to modify and enhance the SuperCub. For example, does it make sense to replace the electronics, go to a brushless motor (Not sure what the difference is between what's installed versus brushless), etc.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:35 AM
socal swimmer
student/athlete

while the higher voltage battery will give more power, it could definitely damage the speed controller, or cause the motor to draw too many amps (read: new motor+esc). if you want longer times, go with a battery with higher mah (milliamp hours).

brushless are more powerful, however, they are also more money. you could go outrunner (whole can rotates), or inrunner (like the kind you have now; just the axle rotates). outrunner has more torque/amp, and innrunner has more rpms/volt. Inrunners usually require a gear box to reduce rpms/volt (the amount of rpms the motor produces from one volt of power (volts control rpms); also referred to as kv (voltage constant)) and increase torque (the strength of the motor).

so basically, the voltage makes the prop go faster, and then the motor draws however many amps are needed to make the prop go that fast (bigger prop = same speed, more amps needed).
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 AM
redgiki

The motor, gearbox, and prop on the Super Cub are, AFAICT, identical to the ParkZone FW and P-51. You're not risking too much damage to the motor if you up the voltage by going LiPo... just plan on replacing it after 40-50 flights, like you would in a normal service plan.

On the downside, though, the SC is kind of tail-heavy without that extra ballast, so going to LiPo is almost a detriment to it being a nice, stable trainer!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Panel guy

I have tried to attach a video, I even tried to .zipped it. How can I post a vid so you can see ?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Panel guy

Default First (very shakey) video

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....720b86d4a360f7
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
guest001
On Hiatus

Default Arf

Great video: is that a real "ARF" before take off?

Quick Reply: super cub, 1st plane , first flights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10620 seconds with 28 queries