Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

super cub, 1st plane , first flights

Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Turn Act off... it may work as advertised... but it will only make you crash.... It works by shutting your throttle off and centering your controls, but doesn't release them unless you release the sticks... so when you get too low and need to pull up quite a bit...WHAM, it kicks in because you held the sticks too much (in its opinion) in one direction...

PS, read the manuel, it works flaky over water, in bright light, all kinds of stuff...

aeajr, You ever do a loop with Act on... or try to pull out of a steep dive... watch how it behaves... Also Pull back on the stick with throttle on while your on the ground....It'll think your pulling back too long and kick out the motor... its a terrible system... it may work for someone that knows what they want it to do... but it under practical usage with a beginner... it just does not work...

SK
Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM
cubflyer3

Originally Posted by dave2007 View Post
thanks for the quick reply, i tried charging the battery but still no joy
I had that same problem at first dave. You have to discharge the battery before charging it. To discharge it, I run the motor at low throttle until the prop doesnt turn at any speed anymore. You will know it is fully dishcharged if when you plug it in to charge (wall charger), the charger will blink alot faster than before and will turn solid red after about 2 hours.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
Turn Act off... it may work as advertised... but it will only make you crash.... It works by shutting your throttle off and centering your controls, but doesn't release them unless you release the sticks... so when you get too low and need to pull up quite a bit...WHAM, it kicks in because you held the sticks too much (in its opinion) in one direction...

PS, read the manuel, it works flaky over water, in bright light, all kinds of stuff...

aeajr, You ever do a loop with Act on... or try to pull out of a steep dive... watch how it behaves... Also Pull back on the stick with throttle on while your on the ground....It'll think your pulling back too long and kick out the motor... its a terrible system... it may work for someone that knows what they want it to do... but it under practical usage with a beginner... it just does not work...

SK
Yes I have fully tested ACT and reported on it as part of my review of the HobbyZone Phantom. I found it worked as described.

Yes I did loop it and saw the results. Exactly as expected. Of coures a new pilot working under ACT should not be doing loops.

Pull back on the stick with throttle while you are on the ground? I presume you mean on an ROG take off. Had no problem. Only did it once as I had to go somewhere other than my field to do that. I don't have a runway. Of course, as it says in the manual, it is intended to be used at altitude.

Whether it helps beginners is completely dependent on following instructions. The things you describe are not things beginners should be doing, in my opinion.

I have no desire to push ACT on anyone. But if you don't follow the directions, if you don't know what it is going to do, then of course you will have problems.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Pull back on the stick with throttle while you are on the ground? I presume you mean on an ROG take off. Had no problem. Only did it once as I had to go somewhere other than my field to do that. I don't have a runway. Of course, as it says in the manual, it is intended to be used at altitude.
no, I actually mean while holding it so it doesn't move... because I have done that.... the sensors didn't rely on any data... it just figures you're holding back on the stick too long and cuts out the motor....

here's how that system works in real life with a supercub,

you bring it in to land...slowly pulling back on elevator, it decides that your pulling back for too long (and I'm not talking holding the sticks all the way down either), so it cuts the motor off, and then gives a little elevator, making it nose up, stalling, then when you center the sticks, it jams the throttle back on stalling it sideways, then to correct you pull back... wham, motor cuts out again... and crash....

are they supposed to be flipping switches as they take off and land then too? sorry but it takes a beginner alot of effort just to fly the plane, without the plane jumping the throttle around...

I own 3 phantoms... They work differently... they're more like a glider, you can't pull up or down on them as much... they just don't react as fast...
SK
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

no, I actually mean while holding it so it doesn't move... because I have done that.... the sensors didn't rely on any data... it just figures you're holding back on the stick too long and cuts out the motor....

I own 3 phantoms... They work differently... they're more like a glider, you can't pull up or down on them as much... they just don't react as fast...
SK
You suggest that we prove the value of the system by holding the plane on the ground, power up the prop then pull back on the stick. You consider that a valid test of a system that is intended to be used at 200 feet in the air? OK!

The phantom may fly differently but I believe the ACT system works the same.

Again, I am not trying to get people to love the ACT system. My point is that you have to read the instructions to understand what it is, what it does and how it works. Failure to read the instructions usually leads to other failures.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

You suggest that we prove the value of the system by holding the plane on the ground, power up the prop then pull back on the stick. You consider that a valid test of a system that is intended to be used at 200 feet in the air? OK!

The phantom may fly differently but I believe the ACT system works the same.

Again, I am not trying to get people to love the ACT system. My point is that you have to read the instructions to understand what it is, what it does and how it works. Failure to read the instructions usually leads to other failures.
Yes, I suggest A ground test has merit, because as you suggested... take off from the ground... I was pointing out how it funtions... your also ignoring the fact that the book even says there are times when ACT does not fuction properly...

Also does the book say " turn act on when you get to 100ft and off when your taking off and landing?

your' totally ignoring my point.... A New flyer Crashes the plane when act kicks in... This happends to everyone their first couple flights, they turn it off, and they don't crash near as much... ask anyone who started on the supercub and they will tell you that is a fact...

I understand that your not promoting ACT, but unless you have been a "beginner" trying to use it... or at least Watched a beginner useing it (with no input from you) you don't know how it will work in a real world environment...

SK
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

here's how that system works in real life with a supercub,

you bring it in to land...slowly pulling back on elevator, it decides that your pulling back for too long (and I'm not talking holding the sticks all the way down either), so it cuts the motor off, and then gives a little elevator, making it nose up, stalling, then when you center the sticks, it jams the throttle back on stalling it sideways, then to correct you pull back... wham, motor cuts out again... and crash....

are they supposed to be flipping switches as they take off and land then too? sorry but it takes a beginner alot of effort just to fly the plane, without the plane jumping the throttle around...

SK
I have to politely disagree based on repairing numerous HobbyZOne electornics including the SuperCub and Freedom which both feature ACT.

ACT works by comparing the amount of light falling on the upper and lower CDS light sensors. If the lower sensor is getting more light than the upper sensor, the electronics assume that the plane is in a bad situation and goes into recovery mode - attempting to level and stabilize the plane. You can watch ACT in action by rolling or pitching the plane so the lower sensor gets more light than the upper sensor.

You can effectively disable ACT by placing a jumper on circuit board in lieu of the upper light sensor. This makes the electronics think the plane is flying in a safe attitude. (You can also cover the lower sensor with black electrincal tape of black silicone - accomplishes the same thing.) This allows the ACT switch to be used as a LO/HI rate switch.

I will try the test you have outlined but have never observed this behavior with ACT enabled. (Although extreme excursions of the stick by a beginner might be a reaonable trigger to neutralize the controls.)

Clint
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
yossarian

Aeajr, I think you're right in regards to ACT possibly working better on the Phantom, especially if it's a glider-like plane. The fact is everyone I've ever talked to about ACT hates it, and said it caused more headaches than it solved on the SC.

In this case, reading the manual is the worse possible option, they are selling something. Their coveted ACT system for beginners! Now anyone can learn to fly in your own backyard! Isn't that how it goes?

The SC is still a wonderful plane, especially for beginners, but you'll honestly be doing any new SC pilot a favor by telling them to disable ACT straight away. Let them crash their SC on their own, at least they'll have an idea of what they were doing with the sticks that caused the problem.

Departing from controlled flight is never fun, but it's somehow even less fun when a poor 'auto pilot' takes complete control from the pilot. That just rubs me the wrong way, it's like the Airbus fly by wire. The auto pilot is supposedly so advanced it simply will not let the pilot over fly the air plane. It will completely lock the pilot out if it feels the pilot is making a mistake. Just like the Super Cubs ACT, the Airbus's 'auto-pilot' has taken passengers and crew on terrifying roller coaster rides, as in the case when the auto pilot was climbing out, the pilot thought it was a bit too steep so he pressed the yoke forward to try to nose down and so insued a horrifying battle for control of the airplane. Climbing almost to stall, then diving, then climbing again. The pilot frantically trying to get control, or feel like he was in control.

Or the airbus on a demonstration pass over a runway. The pilot applies full power to begin climbing away, you can even see the engines briefly rev up, but sadly the auto pilot wanted to land instead and it cut the power and tried to resume some glide slope in it's memory banks. They went into the trees at the end of the runway.

Even the most expensive version of ACT is crap. Boeing had it right. A pilot ought to be able to know exactly what his plane is doing merely by resting his hands on the steering column and feeling what the auto pilot is doing, through wires or hydrolic lines.

Obviously the SC's ACT is much simpler than an Airbus' fly by wire, but the concept is the same. Eliminate the pilot, let a computer have ultimate control. No thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

I understand that your not promoting ACT, but unless you have been a "beginner" trying to use it... or at least Watched a beginner useing it (with no input from you) you don't know how it will work in a real world environment...

SK
Friends,

Let's drop this arguement. All the relevent points have been made. And it is clear that many people have had problems with the ACT system.

My point was that, if you don't read the instructions you will not understand how things work. That goes for ACT, for the plane, for the radio as well as for all the other wondeful things about this hobby. RTFM, read the friendly manual, is a good rule to apply in almost all situations.

Let's return this discussion, which dates back to 2006, to its original intent, to help new flyers enjoy their Super Cubs.

Last edited by AEAJR; 07-30-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 AM
cubflyer3

I have a question. After flying my sc the rectangular box that holds the battery underneath the plane was falling off and I was wondering what glue/adheasive I should use to keep it secure within place. I heard that CA glue was good. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:56 AM
jkaven

Originally Posted by cubflyer3 View Post
I have a question. After flying my sc the rectangular box that holds the battery underneath the plane was falling off and I was wondering what glue/adheasive I should use to keep it secure within place. I heard that CA glue was good. Any suggestions?
Gorilla glue, epoxy, hot glue are popular. I used Gorilla on mine. CA melts some foams so either use foam safe CA or test it first.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
yossarian

Originally Posted by jkaven View Post
Gorilla glue, epoxy, hot glue are popular. I used Gorilla on mine. CA melts some foams so either use foam safe CA or test it first.
Gorilla glue is great, but be sure to use it sparingly. It can foam up.

I used too much on certain spots on a ling-cat and it looks like someone, possibly a gorilla, spit all over the plane.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
Gorilla glue is great, but be sure to use it sparingly. It can foam up.

I used too much on certain spots on a ling-cat and it looks like someone, possibly a gorilla, spit all over the plane.

Sumo Glue is similar to Gorilla (urethane glue) but is white instead of amber. I generally prefer Epoxy over urethane or CA on foam unless I am trying to repair a large gap where I need the filling properties of urethane.

Clint

Last edited by cbatters; 08-01-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 AM
cubflyer3

Thanks. I used 5 minute epoxy, it worked great, set quick and it's very strong too.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Note: Looks like the Gorrilla folks are paying attention. I went out searching for Sumo glue but came back with Gorrilla White. (available at Walgreens)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Darn, And I bought a bunch of Gray depron.... Maybe they can start selling that stuff in gray?...lol

Acutally that stuff does pretty good...

SK

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Note: Looks like the Gorrilla folks are paying attention. I went out searching for Sumo glue but came back with Gorrilla White. (available at Walgreens)

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

I wonder if that new dries-white Gorilla glue will share the short shelf-life that I experienced with Sumo glue. The bottle of Sumo glue I tried dried up after only a couple of months (yes I carefully secured the cap after each use), but a bottle of Gorilla glue that I bought about the same time is still fine after well over a year. It may have to do with the type of cap though (screw-on vs. push/snap-on).
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
I wonder if that new dries-white Gorilla glue will share the short shelf-life that I experienced with Sumo glue. The bottle of Sumo glue I tried dried up after only a couple of months (yes I carefully secured the cap after each use), but a bottle of Gorilla glue that I bought about the same time is still fine after well over a year. It may have to do with the type of cap though (screw-on vs. push/snap-on).
Hey Herk_1 good to see your post.

Your experience with Sumo is EXACTLY why I was out looking for a new bottle this weekend. I too am hoping the new Gorilla does not have the same poor shelf life.

Note: I have a bottle of Elmers Ultimate Urethane glue that I bought at the same time as the Sumo that did nto suffer the same short life.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Fly Boy
Fly On

I have been reading a lot about the cub and it seems like a good plane for
beginners, whitch I am. I would like a plane that has very low maintance
and can easily be repaired. I think the Super Cub is the one I want but I am still looking around, any suggestions
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default re:

I gotta agree with AEAJR....he's always given me correct info...BUT, when I got my first Super Cub & tried out the ACT it seemed that meant for it to head for the nearest tree straight & level. So after finding out that the props won't eat bark I disconnected the ACT & feel that I have gained alot more control.Also I've 3 Super Cubs now,(performing various duties), and I regularly disconnect ACT. To me, ACT is the flying equivilent to YOU, the "pilot" being a back seat driver.
All that is just IMNO of course.
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Yes I have fully tested ACT and reported on it as part of my review of the HobbyZone Phantom. I found it worked as described.

Yes I did loop it and saw the results. Exactly as expected. Of coures a new pilot working under ACT should not be doing loops.

Whether it helps beginners is completely dependent on following instructions. The things you describe are not things beginners should be doing, in my opinion.

I have no desire to push ACT on anyone. But if you don't follow the directions, if you don't know what it is going to do, then of course you will have problems.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
yossarian

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post

Yup, exactly what I used on the Ling cat. It dries and can bubble like the brown stuff but it stays white and looks like I got an infestation of spit bugs on my plane. lol
Old 08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default re:

SUPER CUB! SUPER CUB! SUPER CUB! Enough said.....
LOVE that plane!!
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I have been reading a lot about the cub and it seems like a good plane for
beginners, whitch I am. I would like a plane that has very low maintance
and can easily be repaired. I think the Super Cub is the one I want but I am still looking around, any suggestions
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 AM
backyardflyer

ya i love the SC too but do you know a good plane to get afterwords? thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 AM
camazar

I have not even tried to fly my SC yet, Bought it Took all the guts out less the servos added Eflites 480 1020kv With a Custom mount from customrcparts.com , Castle Creations Thunder Bird 36amp ESC , Eflite 2200mla 30c Battery & a 9.5 T-28 Trojan 3 bladed Prop & a Spectrum AR6200 Receiver... I wonder whats going to fly like, Oh ya I also added 3inch Do-Bro Wheels up front for Gravel & Grass Take off & landings, Funny thing before doing any work to the SC it was Tail heavy off of the Stock CG now it's pretty near Prefect maybe a little bit nose Heavy...?

Wish me luck This is my First Plane Have & still Fly Helis

Cheers

Last edited by camazar; 10-09-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo