New Micro Warbirds From Gravity Hobby - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

New Micro Warbirds From Gravity Hobby

Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
R6_Infantry

I'm set on getting into the GH line of planes look great and this thread has me pumped now, but I still need to build that cox F4U...still in the box somewhere.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
chinaclipper

Default Success!

Today was to be the day.
I chose a place that had a nice expanse of grass and prarie.
The wind was 0-5mph, out of the West
The sun was setting in the West.

I had to put about 21g in the bottom of the nose (on the plastic nose protector). It seemed to balance OK at the suggested COG, maybe a smidgen tail-heavy?
I put the battery in, pushed a little foam block I made to keep everything forward, and closed her up.

First I had to do the range check, walked about 60 paces, no problems. So far so good. I wanted to launch into the wind, so I found a nice grassy area, brought up the RPM’s, and tossed her up.

A little lurch to port, but she evened out with minimal control from me and she was flying!
My idea for the maiden was to get her up, trim her out, then land.

Success!

I brought her back around, dialed in a bit more down elevator, a little rudder trim, and there we were.
She looked pretty cool too, with the setting sun as a background. I flew high, but tried to avoid looking directly into the setting sun.

After about 2 or 3 courses, it was time to land. As I brought her around for the base and when I turned into the final, sure enough, tip stall. Right into some tall grass. No harm, no foul I thought, so I decided to put it up again. It took off much smoother, and the second flight was almost 10 minutes long.

It took a few minutes getting used to the bird, but she flew pretty well. I noticed some fluttering on turns, and couldn’t quite figure out why. All and all, a good flight. Brought her in, and this time took a bit more altitude on the base, made the turn, and landed nicely in the weeds. No gear on this one!

For the next flights, I thought I would try the bigger (6x3) prop. Again, she took off nicely, got another good 10-12 minutes out of my 18C 350mAh power source. Still had that little fluttering, and I noticed loops were difficult, as she would just tend to almost roll instead of loop. No worries, I had another great flight, and brought her in. For the next flight I tried my old Mini Super Cub battery pack, a 7.4 300mAh jewel. It’s a bit wider, so I couldn’t slide it as far forward. I temp’ed a 1/4oz weight under the nose, and she flew like a champ!

It was a good day. A successful maiden, and great conditions. When I got home, in the post flight inspection (you know you all do it) I noticed the right half of the elevator was loose. It was not moving with the left half. Well, that answered THAT problem. I will affect the cure for that immediately.

Summarizing, these little birds are fun! Fun to build, FUN TO FLY. I am already planning another one. Good work Gravity Hobby, and some day soon, I will try and get that hulk up, that 8oz 4 channel BEAST I have been writing about.
Cheers!

Last edited by chinaclipper; 10-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Petrik59

Hi Chinaclipper,
I have an unbuilt Cox Zero Micro Warbid that I am about to start working on.
I have looked around in some foroms to see what the most used brushless motor is for these small warbirds. It looks like a lot of people are using the "18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)" HobbyKing but then they all end up in adding 10 to 20 grams of waight in the nose to get the CG right.
Wy not use a havier motor and get some power for the grams instead of just dead waight?
Will I be all wrong if I use a HexTronik 20gram Brushless Outrunner 2300k from HK or heavier motor?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hi Chinaclipper,
I have an unbuilt Cox Zero Micro Warbid that I am about to start working on.
I have looked around in some foroms to see what the most used brushless motor is for these small warbirds. It looks like a lot of people are using the "18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)" HobbyKing but then they all end up in adding 10 to 20 grams of waight in the nose to get the CG right.
Wy not use a havier motor and get some power for the grams instead of just dead waight?
Will I be all wrong if I use a HexTronik 20gram Brushless Outrunner 2300k from HK or heavier motor?
You are correct. I use a 24g and performance in such a small plane is impressive.

Here's a shot with the incorrect spinner so that you can see the motor.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
chinaclipper

Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hi Chinaclipper,
I have an unbuilt Cox Zero Micro Warbird that I am about to start working on.
I have looked around in some forums to see what the most used brushless motor is for these small warbirds. It looks like a lot of people are using the "18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)" HobbyKing but then they all end up in adding 10 to 20 grams of weight in the nose to get the CG right.
Why not use a heavier motor and get some power for the grams instead of just dead waight?
I tried that, and I failed. Joe seems to have good success with that combo, I just didn't get it to work. But then again, I am no great pilot!
It might have had something to do with tremendously increased torque, or any number of other reasons that didn't work for me.

I liked what the smaller motor did, and would recommend it highly.
BTW, Joe1320 are you using a different avatar now?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Seattle

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
You are correct. I use a 24g and performance in such a small plane is impressive.

Here's a shot with the incorrect spinner so that you can see the motor.

Seven years later...and that silver Zero still looks great. It motivated me to get the Gravity Hobby kit. Does anyone still fly these?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Gravity Hobby went bust. They would not do business like Americans expect.

Even though I was the west coast of the USA dealer Rep, I could not get faulty parts replaced in a Gravity product.

Apparently in China, if you buy something that doesn't work, that's just tough.

I argued with the people in China about this but was totally ignored. Their customer service policy (nonexistent) is what killed them.

The planes flew alright but it is easy to fold a wing if you make the elevator deflect a bit too much. I would guess anyone with a Gravity plane isn't paying much attention to it.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:33 AM
Seattle

I see. No wonder.

By contrast, Horizon Hobby for example, does customer service right. The stuff they sell isn't cheap, but if you have a problem they will find a way to make you happy, even if they can't repair it. Very impressive.

A guy sold me his Gravity Zero kit. Complete except for no packet containing the propellers and spinner, etc. Also no instructions.

Thanks for telling me about the wing. I guess it will need some reinforcement. Since you used to be a vendor for these kits, you might know some other tips?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:28 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I have the P-47 and some day I will get it out and modernize it.

I am going to use a small brushless motor, for better performance and life.

I will glue a glue a carbon fiber rod to the bottom of the wing, where a spar would be for strength.

The wing holdown system needs improvement.

just things like that.

I think if Gravity had offered the planes with a brushless motor, they would have done FAR better.
I talked to hobby shops from Alaska to San Diego, an the all wanted brushless, in 2009 it was about the end for brushed motors.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Seattle

Maybe a 10 gram HK motor? I was thinking of trying a 3S 300mah battery.

Why not glue the wing on?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Kits

I have a couple of kits left if anyone is interested. If memory serves me I have an ME109 and a FW190 but I need to confirm. PM me if interested.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Wing removal is the only access to the battery and equipment unless you do something more invasive which doesn't make sense to me when you already have the wing area.

I just rigged a dowel in the leading edge and a small nylon bolt on the trailing edge. use a piece of thin ply to spread the force under the bolt head.

I had 3 batteries and could swap them in 1 minute. I think i ran 2 cells.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 AM
Seattle

I like your dowel idea for my Zero, and intend to use that with a servo arm inset in the fuselage aligned with the centerpoint of the wing trailing edge. It will be mounted on a small basswood block so it can pivot as a latch.

For battery access, I'm inclined to go with the trick of securing the canopy with magnets and opening up the foam in the area below it. It looks just wide enough to maneuver a battery in there.

In light of your note that the wing may fold as a result of aggressive elevator deflection, your plan to glue a carbon fiber rod to the bottom of the wing for strength sounds sensible. I am considering that option as well. To avoid additional parasite drag, would you cut a slot to fit the rod into and then tape over it flush with the undercambered surface?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I just cut some foam away from the inside to allow me to slide the battery between some glued in foam up to the front. I did not want to cut a second access hole for the battery as having that one and the wing hole for access to the servos, makes a very wobbly fuse in foam.

I wasn't going to worry too much about the extra drag as the brushless motor would probably have 2-3 times the power.

If it flew weird because of the spar, I am thinking of a balsa taper on both sides and then a strip of packing tape to cover that. The tape would give extra strength also.

The wing isn't thick enough to cut a groove unless you are VERY good.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Seattle

Thanks. I am thinking about using a metal ruler taped down to provide a guide, and carefully running a folded piece of sandpaper along the edge to sand out a groove. Then maybe paint in a thin line of white gorilla glue with a Qtip,drop in the carbon rod, and tape it over with blue masking. The wing had better be flat while it cures!

Minimal glue and a temporary tapeover should avoid a hard to sand mess.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

One of my fondest memories of these little warbirds was from when Cox was making them and we flew them in Pylon races at SEFF. I came home that year with 4 of them having one one in the raffle and racing it to win the other 3.

Miss those days and all the companies that were coming out with neat stuff like this.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Seattle

Glory days indeed! Pylon racing is exciting. It makes your hands shake.

Having had experience with four of them, can you share a tip or two? I've been staring at this little Zero kit and scratching my head. I don't want to butcher it and wreck the thing because I installed the wrong setup. That's what happened with my FMS 750mm Zero. Also I don't want to end up with a 'lead sled' as I've also done to other models before.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Maybe others can chime in on that. All mine ran stock brushed setups.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 AM
Seattle

I'm thinking of adding ailerons...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I'm thinking of adding ailerons...
With the stock dihedral in the wings the plane banked over just fine as far as I am concerned. Remember adding another servo and linkages, hinges, stiffening, ETC adds WEIGHT.

These things are not feather weights and fly pretty fast anyway. Adding more power in the form of a small brushless, and then adding ailerons, will exceed what they can handle in my opinion.

I used a Castle Creations Pixie 7 brushed speed control on my stock plane, with a 450 mha 2cell Lipo.

Good Luck
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Seattle

I see. maybe there is no need. I certainly don't want to come in overweight.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I never did ailerons on mine either. Really not needed.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Seattle

Thanks for saving me from some trouble. Weight and complexity has spoiled the fun for me before. I would like micro LEd running lights though.

Do you think the stock props would work with a 10 gram brushless?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:03 AM
Seattle

Gravity planes are available on Ebay at this time. Convenient, and not expensive.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

They are all from one guy.
Probably someone that may have been a dealer rep like I was.

I stocked up on the kits so I could show the local Hobby shops in the Puget Sound area of Washington State.
I sold mine on eBay a few years ago, for more than he is getting.
He lists all of them as NEW yet they have not been made for years.

On one he wants more to ship it, that he wants for the buy-it-now with free shipping.
If Gravity had put brushless motor systems in and the use of a Lipo, I think they may have been successful, as it was nobody wanted to stock models with brushed motors that would probably burn the brushes or windings if you flew them a lot.

Quick Reply: New Micro Warbirds From Gravity Hobby

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11815 seconds with 14 queries