Ready To Order My Plane (Electrifly Edge 540T). What Servo's? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Ready To Order My Plane (Electrifly Edge 540T). What Servo's?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM
NFA Fabrication

Default Ready To Order My Plane (Electrifly Edge 540T). What Servo's?

I am ready to order an Great Planes Edge 540T:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVEL2&P=ML

I have had a few planes now, and this is the first one that I am willing to spend a little extra on as I am gaining confidence. I was all pre-set in my mind to but 4 HS-65 Hitec servo's, but someone mentioned not wanting metal gear servo's for weight reasons. I want to buy nice equipment for this plane, are the HS-65's not the way to go? Any suggestions? If Tower hobbies sells it, that would be a bunus! Thanks in advance!

Edited: I said it was Electrifly, it is a Great Planes model.

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 04-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

That's a nice looking model but before pressing the buy button you might want to consider the Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66035
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48edge.html

Order today and get a 20% discount by putting 'Toledo' in the discound code box at checkout

The extreme Flight version is a more capable 3D plane, if it's 3D that you want to do would be the choice IMHO. It's got the reputation of being one of the easiest plane in this class for 3D flying. The kit is also the best quality and best engineered ARF's I've so far come across.

But either way.. Hitec HS-65MG are the de-facto standard servo for 3D models of this size. I'm not sure who advised you against metal gears but they dont know what they are talking about For 3D models with their huge control surfaces and high deflections you need metal gears.

Digital are of course better. Hitec do the HS-5065MG digital or I've had great results with the Savox SH-0255 and/or 0257 (0255 is high torque and ideal for the big elevator used on 3D models, 0257 is high speed and ideal for other surfaces)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Watch this video of the EF Edge 540.. I challenge you not to buy one after watching it

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxuUp6x3J2o&list=UUfjdHAmMfI6XRLKr7A-TcDg&index=18&feature=plcp[/media]
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
NFA Fabrication

I have seen your posts, and definitely respect your opinions. At that discount, that is basically the same give or take as my tower hobbies deal. How much better is it to upgrade to the Hitec servo's you mentioned, I can be patient, and buy what I will be happiest with. I have paid my dues with the simulators/trainers/intermediates/etc. I am ready to buy something I will be proud of. Also, thanks for the fast replies, this is taking over my brain with anticipation, but I want to make the right decision at the same time.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I dont want to put you off the Great Planes model, it looks like a really nice aerobatic/sports/3d model and it has good scale line too. I'm sure you would love it if you got it, it's just that the EF Edge is soooo good I feel I have to tell everyone

The GP Edge has a long build thread over on RC groups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900630

and a review: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...edge+plane+edg

Having a quick skim through the long build thread it seems the only real weak area is the landing gear mounting which seems to rip out quite easily and require beefing up if you fly from rough fields and/or don't always do perfect landings (who does?)

The HS-65MG's should be fine for anything you can throw at it short of perhaps really extreme elevator throw, which may need a stronger servo, but running the servos on a BEC with 6v output helps a lot. I've had good luck with the Savox digitals but I'm sure you will be happy with any of the servos i listed, they are all tried and tested on models of this size.

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 04-14-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
NFA Fabrication

Thanks, I do have a Castle BEC for the project which I do intend to run at 6V. Looks like I have a little reading to do today! Thanks the assistance! I really do appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Reading the build thread it does appear that the weak landing gear mounting is a very serious issue with the Great Planes Edge. Check post #2222 onward: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...00630&page=149

Also it seems that it's 3D capabilities are quite limited so if you do want a serious 3D tool then the EF version would be far and away the better bet.. But your call.

Steve

PS,.. it seems that many of the guys in the thread are running heavier duty servos than those i mentioned. several were using the HS-85MG which is a significantly larger servo than the HS-65MG i mentioned. It seems odd that the 65MG is perfectly fine on the 48" EF Edge but larger servos are needed for the 49.5" GP Edge... but that's what the guys who have them are saying.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:52 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
I am ready to order an Great Planes Edge 540T:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVEL2&P=ML

I have had a few planes now, and this is the first one that I am willing to spend a little extra on as I am gaining confidence. I was all pre-set in my mind to but 4 HS-65 Hitec servo's, but someone mentioned not wanting metal gear servo's for weight reasons. I want to buy nice equipment for this plane, are the HS-65's not the way to go? Any suggestions? If Tower hobbies sells it, that would be a bunus! Thanks in advance!

Edited: I said it was Electrifly, it is a Great Planes model.
I've got that model. Servos are the Hitec HS81's. They've worked out well on 96 flights on this airplane.

Power is a Hacker A40-12S, 4S1P 2300 Mah A123 battery, 13X6.5 APC-E prop that turns over at 7400 RPM on the ground. The models weight is 62 ounces. This is a very nice flying model, and is fun to fly. It flys well at 62 ounces and landings are also easy to do. If this is your first fully (very) acrobatic model with ailerons, might be a good idea to get help on your first flights.

However, IMHO, the landing gear mount is not strong enough, at least on the model I have. On a very smooth landing, the landing gear plate broke off, allowing the wheel pants to go through both the bottom and top of the wing.

Found the landing gear mount was nothing but a piece of 1/8 inch thick plywood about 1 1/2 by 3 inches or so that was CA'd in place. When the landing wheels touched the ground, the LG twisted back and busted loose. Very little CA was holding that plate in place.

Take a look at my repair job, per photo attached. The two arrows show the 1/8 inch light ply plus the balsa blocks that were added for the repair. The 1/8 inch lite ply sheets prevent the landing gear plate from rotating and breaking loose.

As one of our club members has indicated, A LOT of those ARF model have this type of problem, he's always beefed up the LG in his models before the first flights.

That LCD display on top of the battery is my on board flight monitor that keeps tract of the total number of flights; total flying time in hours, minutes, seconds; total ampere hours; and either amp hours for the current flight when the motor is off, or amps pulled by the motor when the motor is running.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Planes Edge LG Modifications - WF.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	158938  

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 04-15-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 AM
NFA Fabrication

I just went to the EF website to order the plane. 2 issues, the plane only is available in the color scheme I don't want (I can get past that), but they want me to put in all my CC info without telling me what the shipping charges are. It just says "Charges appear as $0.00 but Actual Shipping Charges will be charged", and asks for my CC info. I just don't want to end up with a $30 shipping charge, to nervous to hit enter without knowing. I am ready to buy!

Edit: I just went ahead and ordered it. I will be ordering 4 HS-65's as well. I am planning on ordering a HobbyKing motor and ESC as well, unless there is a highly advisable alternative. I will be running this off of a Spektrum DX8 and probably an AR600 (Maybe an AR8000/TM1000 if I can convince my other plane to give it it up)

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 04-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I think they had a big rush of orders when they announced the 20% discount so must have sold out of the red white and blue scheme. The red and black scheme is nice too, a little more understated and 'scale like' but less 'wow' factor.

The shipping thing is annoying but the EF guys are genuine they only charge actual cost. They say it's due to the limitations of their website software not being able to work out actual cost based on location, it has to be done manually. I'm in the UK so don't order through the EF website anyway so I cant say what shipping would be from first hand experience but the guys on RC Groups say it's typically in the $30 range, $50 max for the most distant locations.

The 48" Extra or MXS are also worth looking at, they are not quite as easy to 3D for beginners but some would argue are better all rounders, and they still 3D fantastically.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You could also check out the 3D HobbyShop range. They also do a 48" Edge 540 which gets great reviews and is well priced. The 51" AJ Slick is a classic though would be a bit more expensive than you have been considering so far.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

To add to the confusion another model in this size range that's worth a look is the HobbyKing Slick 360. I appreciate that Hobbyking doesn't have the reputation for quality that you are looking for but with the Slick they have made a huge leap forward, it's a good model by any standard: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65859

I've had mine a while now and compared to the Edge for a 3D novice like me it's a trickier in post stall 3D manoeuvres, but overall it's a great flying plane with no bad weaknesses. It looks terrific too IMHO.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
NFA Fabrication

Well, I already ordered from EF. I will get my servo order in tomorrow. Will update with results! Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Well, I already ordered from EF. I will get my servo order in tomorrow. Will update with results! Thanks for the help!
Brilliant!.. you will love it

Please post your build thread and if there is anything in the build you are unsure of I'd be pleased to help if I can.

Have you thought about what power system you will be using?

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
NFA Fabrication

I was considering using these:

Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Battery: Not sure if I am better off with 3S or 4S (Hoping 3S as I have a nice charger that can only do 2-3S)

The motor was one you had said looked OK from my other thread when I thought I was going to buy the HK 540T.

Edit: That motor appears to be for 4-5S use only. So not sure what I should do exactly.

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 04-15-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: New Info Found
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If it were me i'd go for 4s for which the 3542-800 motor would be fine. However 3s would also work if you went with a higher kv, this one looks good: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html That should work pretty well on a 13x6.5 and give you about 180watt per lb. I'm a bit greedy and am putting 1kw though my edge (309watt/lb), but that's a bit excessive.

You could get more power on 4s but you would obviously then need a charger. A 3s 2200 (30c or higher) should be enough and would make the plane nice and light.

Steve

PS.. the only slight hitch with that motor is that if it's really 44mm long as stated in the spec then you may end up with a quite large gap between the front of the cowl and the spinner, if you can live with that then ok, it doesn't cause any problems other than aesthetics. I know the the SK3 3548 which are supposes to be 48mm long are in reality only 44mm, so it the 3544 is similarly shorter than spec you would be ok.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
NFA Fabrication

Another thing I have given consideration to is starting with 3S as my budget is currently allowing, and then switching to 4S when I can afford another charger and changing props as long as I can find a motor that will work well in both configurations.

I am not stuck on Hobbyking, I don't mind spending a little more on a motor if it will fill my above needs, but the one recommended by EF is $80. Kind of eats up my budget really fast. Ordering my HS-65MG servo's today.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Another thing I have given consideration to is starting with 3S as my budget is currently allowing, and then switching to 4S when I can afford another charger and changing props as long as I can find a motor that will work well in both configurations.

I am not stuck on Hobbyking, I don't mind spending a little more on a motor if it will fill my above needs, but the one recommended by EF is $80. Kind of eats up my budget really fast. Ordering my HS-65MG servo's today.
$80?

For not a lot more than that, you can buy the top of the line Hacker A40-12S motor that I've got in my model.

Note that going from 3 to 4 cells will make a BIG difference on the diameter of the propeller used for your motor. If you can swing it, IMHO its best to start off right away with the motor you will eventually use, along with the 4S LiPo.

As for my model I've got a 4S1P A123 cell that is pretty close in performance with a good quality 3S LiPo. That combination flys pretty well, but it does have a $$$$ Hacker motor in it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The A40 hacker is too big and heavy for the 48" Ef Edge, also too low kv, you would need to run 5s. You should be looking at a motor in the 130-170g range and 30mm stator diameter. Flying weight target of the Edge is 50oz, give or take. You will kill it if you go putting a big heavy lump of motor in there, it wouldn't fit the mounting plate either.

IMHO the very best motor for the Edge is the Motrolfly DM2820-750: http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html and while at $67 it isnt 'cheap' it's cheaper than the EF Torque. you also get out of this world support from Ken at subsonic. The DM2820-750 is best on 4s and will cope with crazy power (I'm putting 984W though mine) it will actually fly ok on 3s for sport flying (with 14" prop) so you could use a 3s battery in the short term then upgrade to 4s later.

If you wanted to stay with 3s long term then the DM2820-950 would give good performance.

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 PM
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
IMHO the very best motor for the Edge is the Motrolfly DM2820-750: http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html and while at $67 it isnt 'cheap' it's cheaper than the EF Torque. you also get out of this world support from Ken at subsonic. The DM2820-750 is best on 4s and will cope with crazy power (I'm putting 984W though mine) it will actually fly ok on 3s for sport flying (with 14" prop) so you could use a 3s battery in the short term then upgrade to 4s later.

If you wanted to stay with 3s long term then the DM2820-950 would give good performance.

Steve
I think I just may have to bite the bullet and pick up the 750, If I can at least get buy on 3S for a while. I want this plane to be done right, and fully intend to get a 4S charger, and batteries. I have a Duratrax Onyx 245 Dual Lipo charger, it is great, but 2-3S only. What are the thoughts on the Turnigy Plush 60A ESC? The plush series seem to have good reviews. I just ordered 4 HS-65MG's, so that is one thing down at least!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I know the Edge will fly on a 3s with that motor and a 14x7 APC prop because i accidently put a 3s in once.. it actually flew ok but nothing like the punch it has on 4s

The Plush ESC's are good and I'm sure will be fine. My personal favourite however is the ZTW which are also available re-labelled as Black Mantis and Mystery: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mystery...o-13031?item=1

The ZTW has very low resistance and gives a nice boost in performance over most other brands, they are also very light compared to other types of similar rating. It's also got a good built in BEC that I have measured at 6V output (though others report 5.5V).
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The A40 hacker is too big and heavy for the 48" Ef Edge, also too low kv, you would need to run 5s. You should be looking at a motor in the 130-170g range and 30mm stator diameter.
Steve

My Hacker weighs in at 9 ounces, or about 250 grams. It flys just fine, and the motor will power the model straight up, out of sight. I all ready had this motor, so it was a nice fit.

My only point was that much lower cost motors then those $$$$ Hackers will also work just fine with a model of this type.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM
NFA Fabrication

One bit of concern: I just looked on their website on the front page, and it reads:

"Thanks for the great support in our Toldeo Show Sale! Our warehouse is empty but more stock is on the way!"

I hope this will not create an issue with my order... If it does, I am considering the 3DHS 48" model as an alternative. Thoughts on that model Jetplaneflyer?

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-Edge-5...e_p_15959.html
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The 3DHS edge has a fine reputation, I cant comment from first hand experience but everyone who has one says good things. The same servos and motor selection should work ok, plus the motor choices listed on the 3DHS site.

Steve
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
My Hacker weighs in at 9 ounces, or about 250 grams. It flys just fine, and the motor will power the model straight up, out of sight. I all ready had this motor, so it was a nice fit.

My only point was that much lower cost motors then those $$$$ Hackers will also work just fine with a model of this type.
For planes big enough to take it the A40-12S does look like a really good motor. It may be ok in the Great Planes model but I know from experience of having the model that if you tried to put one in the Extreme Flight Edge a) it would not fit because the cross mount would be too wide. and b) it would be 100g heavier than recommended so the plane would be hopelessly nose heavy and require weight added to the tail, both of which would make the model quite overweight for 3D flying.

The Hacker that's the best fit for this size of 3D model is the A30-14L. This is a very nice motor and right on the target weight (140g) and power, a few mm longer than ideal for the EF Edge but would fit the others perfectly I'm sure.

Steve

Quick Reply: Ready To Order My Plane (Electrifly Edge 540T). What Servo's?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16671 seconds with 14 queries