Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

ESC Programability ??

Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 PM
wamsy55

Default ESC Programability ??

I am look at buying a nice 40 amp ESC but what does it mean when u can program it using a Computer.

Is it better or worse and what is the trick to programming it.

Thanks Wamsy 55
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

4 kinds of ESC (generally):
1. non-programmable: what you got is it.
2. stick programmable: you use your TX controls, a series of beep emitted, and stick movements to program. Works but is a pain. Some ESC are worse than others.
3. Card programmable: proprietary card you purchase to plug the ESC into and press some buttons to program. Easy. Well worth it if you go that route.
4. Computer: I only know Castle. Buy a special 'Link' that attachs to a USB. Install special software (free) and in Castle's case a bunch of Microsoft dot.net crap. Generally works well and is slick. Allows the option for firmware upgrades should they become available. I have had one PC not accept the USB link but worked fine on several others.
-there are also computer based USB 'flash type'. I think it's somewhere between the Castle link and a proprietary non-computer card. I would guess > Program the USB flash. Plug it in and download to the ESC. Never used, can't comment further.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Voltron

There is also a style that uses jumpers to select Nicad or Lipo. Brake on or off etc. I have two of them, they are easy to setup and work good. I also have an older Castle brushed ESC that has a little pushbutton switch on it to program it.

Voltron
Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 PM
aramid

Flydiver pretty much covered it. Either card or computer programmable is far preferable to stick programming, because it's much easier to see what's going on (and any programming is better than none). Of course, each system has its benefits:

Card:
Carry a cheap card around with your flight stuff, so you can easily make adjustments whenever you need to. No complicated setup, just plug and play.

Computer:
Don't need a programming guide to tell you what certain LEDs mean. Easy to scroll through long lists of options, and you have the ability to adjust unusual things like throttle exponential curves.

I've used both Castle Link (on a car) and a Turnigy program card, and I actually prefer the card. The only drawback is that some LEDs are only identified by a number, so it's important to keep track of the instructions. The benefit, though, is that I don't have to carry the speed control (read: whole airplane) into the computer room, and don't have to own a laptop in order to program at the field. And the card is only $10 to replace, where a Castle Link is $20 and a fragile computer at the field isn't a great idea, either.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Hyperion controllers let you program them via a PC Serial cable and its very neat. The advantage is you program everything with a screen, not trying to count beeps.

Hyperion also has this handy programmer that does the same thing without a PC/Laptop called the Emeter:

Personally I use a laptop and the serial cable.... its pretty neat to have that at the field to solve a buddies problem.

Hyperion is also bringing out an RDU (remote data unit) read about that here:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/em2/