Which AMA membership (and why?) - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Which AMA membership (and why?)

Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 PM
prof_fate

Default Which AMA membership (and why?)

I"m going to attend my first fly in and they require AMA membership.

From the AMA site there are two level - park pilot and the full membership.
Since all my planes/helis and planned planes fall under the park pilot weight class that would work, but what additional benefits are there to full membership?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

All clubs do not honor the park pilot program so be sure the club holding the event does. Full membership includes a subscription to Model Aviation magazine. There are other differences. I'm sure all the details are available on the AMA site. I was going to go park pilot till I quickly realized I was interested in slightly larger planes.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 PM
prof_fate

I am interested in larger/faster planes, but not in the first year. The club's fly in will accept park flyer AMA (it's an indoor elec fly in).

I see on the site the differences listed, but 'real world' experience matters too - like what's the difference in the magazines?
If I go fly in the local ball field or park is the difference in insurance a big deal?
If I want to org a club or get permission to use a local gym, what's the best route to go?
Etc.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 AM
dumo01
dumo01

I get both magazines, but if i was only going to get on I would prefer Model Aircraft, the full membership one. It has a much broader coverage of model aircraft activities, including some which I am not into at this point, but maybe at some point down the road who knows.
I think the Park Pilot mag has articles that are written at more of an "entry level", I enjoy reading them but get more out of the full mag, not just because it has several times the number of pages
Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Park pilot will probably suit you just fine for a year. I wouldn't worry about the insurance difference. If you are just flying park sized planes then the park program insurance is all you need. I've never seen the park pilot magazine so I couldn't compare. Model Aviation focuses on the larger aircraft and the related events. Can't help you on securing the gym.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

go with park pilot if you don't expect to fly larger planes,but as for me ,it's full membership do to visiting other fields and going to funflys with planes weighing 5 to 9lbs. besides,i like the magazine,good reading when stuck in the tile/porcelain library....
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

I subscribe to both but I prefer to have the full membership. I occasionally fly a plane that is slightly over the park limits but I also like the full membership magazine better.

I think everyone in radio control should support the AMA because they look out for some of our interests. Government agencies are like living things they tend to grow and take on their own interests until they become huge problems to freedom. The FAA and FCC have both tried to invade the hobby from time-to-time and the AMA and ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) have fought to preserve our rights. Right now the FAA is drafting new rules that will/may affect us.

Dave
Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Check what AMA membership is required by your local clubs. Flying with a club is even MORE fun than flying alone in a park... I love my club!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post

I think everyone in radio control should support the AMA because they look out for some of our interests.
No only radio control but the model aviation community as whole including free flight and control line. $1.11 per week for a full membership is pretty cheap for what they do and it's pennies compared to what is spent on the aircraft we fly no matter what disipline or events you care to take part in.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Full membership, because:

1 - It gives you the freedom to step up beyond "park flyer" models in the future.

2 - Most fly-ins require full AMA. It's rare that a fly-in will accept Park Pilot coverage, even if all your models fall into that category.

3 - Even at $58/yr it's still a bargain.

4 - MA has much more coverage than PP, and with full membership you can add the PP mag for just a few bucks.

Regarding insurance coverage, don't forget that AMA insurance is still secondary to any other applicable insurance you may have, such as homeowners or any other general liability insurance policy. You hope to never have to use it, but it's still nice to have.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

How's about supporting the national body that's put in a lot of effort allowing the fly-in you're visiting to exist?

As well as all the continuous effort AMA puts in for us out on the flying fields, there's 'Model Aviation' magazine - covers every branch of our hobby.

Without the AMA, aeromodelling would be a lot poorer.

Regards

Dereck
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Without the AMA you could, with presentation of proper proof of insurance, fly at any flying field in the country subject to their local rules. As it functions, the AMA is a blackmail organization, having no insurance at all (they're self-insured and you are only as protected as their pockets), which keeps you from flying and fails to properly protect the field operators. They are secondary insurance, so you have to exhaust all your personal insurance and suffer the cancellation or rate increases that result, in spite of being "insured" by the AMA. Even when I get insurance for renting a car, that's primary insurance that actually protects me. It's a lose-lose proposition. They fail to protect you and in return for the "service" they make you pay exorbitant fees to fly.

When the Mafia does it people get arrested. No thanks, I'll remain a proud privateer.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Duplicate post
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Here we go again! This is entertainment!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Just my opinion. I don't ask anyone else to follow my lead. I take my stand for freedom and that includes yours too.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Go with the full membership, you can claim it on your taxes as a deduction, so it's not really costing you anything.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
prof_fate

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Go with the full membership, you can claim it on your taxes as a deduction, so it's not really costing you anything.
I love that illogic. I hear it all the time. I still have to earn the $58, just not pay taxes on it. So it's still costing me money - about $50.

I own a business and people thing buying a new truck or somehting 'doesn't cost you anything cause you can deduct it as an expense' - yeah, right.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
earthsciteach

Ahoy, Cap'n Robbins! I be standin' beside ye wavin' the Jolly Roger, me bandoliers packed with LiPos, me trusty TX in me one hand, 'n' me Wild Hawk perched upon me shoulder! Scalawags, they be! Yo ho ho!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Umm, the FULL $58.00 is deductible as a contribution.

And as an owner of a 501C corp, and a business or two, I think I know how it works. You get to take the full $58.00 as a deduction, not just the taxes on it. You list it as a contribution. So $58.00 - $58.00 = 0, that's nothing in my book.

Maybe you need a better accountant or tax guy for your business.

Not being smart, just that from your post it sounded like you didn't understand what is a deduction fully, or someone has given you some bad advice. And yep me and the IRS are on intimate terms. 3 out of the last 4 years I've gotten to spend time with them, and they've paid me, with interest, 3 times in a row.

They just don't seem to understand how a property can make money and still collect money for not being used, and how the tax rates can be altered with a simple piece of paper. Or that using their rules can be used against them. All perfectly legal.

And hey you probably spend more on one night out then the yearly "contribution" to the AMA. At least in my opinion, yeah yeah I know everyone has one, I get more out of the AMA then a night out.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 AM
prof_fate

I'll use little numbers to illustrate how this works (just because using thousands changes nothing).

I earn $100. I pay tax on $100, say 15% or $15. I keep $85.

I join the AMA for $58. $100-58 = $42.

I pay tax on $42, say $15%, or $6.30.
In the first I paid $15 in tax.
In the second I paid $6.30 because I don't have to pay tax on the donation.
I saved $8.70 in taxes, so the AMA memership really cost me only $50.

I still have to earn the $100 no matter how I spend it. The gov't doesn't pay me $58 because I donated it to the AMA.

BTW, from what I can find (please correct me if I'm wrong) but annual membership isn't tax deductible. Lifetime membership is.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Just my opinion. I don't ask anyone else to follow my lead. I take my stand for freedom and that includes yours too.
Just because you fly your stick on a golf corse some where in FL dont mean that others might want to join a good club and fly something that cant be brought down by a fly swatter . He already said he wants to fly bigger stuff. I have been a AMA member for 35 years and have had a great time going to funflys and giant scale meets all over the US .I attend 15 to 20 ama sanctioned water funflys a year. My son has free membership till he is 19 and many youth prodjects he can attend or compete in like i did when younger. The AMA is what you make of it and not just a insurance policy . SOOO the next time your on the 18th hole with no one to talk or fly with just remember you could have had a better time with your hobby and others. I guess thats why you post here all the time.lol OH Prof fate take the full member ship you wont be sorry. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	can%20of%20worms.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	154508  
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM
prof_fate

I agree that memberships in almost any organization are a two way street - sit home and don't fly and all you got was a magazine for your $58.

Attend and/ or compete and you got a lot for your money.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM
road king 97
old hat

The AMA does not make you buy anything its your choice to join it. If you want to join a club in your area and meet guys with the same hobby as yours or you just want a safe to fly bigger planes . I like the ama mag and look foward to its arrival . It covers all model flight and not just 3-d flying. I build scale models and some funfly stuff so there is alot i read about when i get it. I fly in the summer here and build all winter long so the mag is fun to read when there is 3 or 4 ft of snow outside,lo Good luck with what ever you decide. joe
Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Without the AMA you could, with presentation of proper proof of insurance, fly at any flying field in the country subject to their local rules. As it functions, the AMA is a blackmail organization, having no insurance at all (they're self-insured and you are only as protected as their pockets), which keeps you from flying and fails to properly protect the field operators. They are secondary insurance, so you have to exhaust all your personal insurance and suffer the cancellation or rate increases that result, in spite of being "insured" by the AMA. Even when I get insurance for renting a car, that's primary insurance that actually protects me. It's a lose-lose proposition. They fail to protect you and in return for the "service" they make you pay exorbitant fees to fly.

When the Mafia does it people get arrested. No thanks, I'll remain a proud privateer.
Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Ahoy, Cap'n Robbins! I be standin' beside ye wavin' the Jolly Roger, me bandoliers packed with LiPos, me trusty TX in me one hand, 'n' me Wild Hawk perched upon me shoulder! Scalawags, they be! Yo ho ho!
ROTFL Now thats just funny I dont care whay any one says that was funny

No matter what side of the fence you are on
Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
The AMA does not make you buy anything its your choice to join it. If you want to join a club in your area and meet guys with the same hobby as yours or you just want a safe to fly bigger planes . I like the ama mag and look foward to its arrival . It covers all model flight and not just 3-d flying. I build scale models and some funfly stuff so there is alot i read about when i get it. I fly in the summer here and build all winter long so the mag is fun to read when there is 3 or 4 ft of snow outside,lo Good luck with what ever you decide. joe
Hey Joe,

Put some skis on yer planes and keep flyin! Oh, and build too.

Dave

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10030 seconds with 13 queries