3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

The Beast is dead, so bummed

Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
jamesbowers

Default The Beast is dead, so bummed

Hey now,
After four years of near weekly hard flying my sixty sized Beast has died a battery failed just after take off and she went in. Not so hard but right on a lower wing tip ripping a strut out of it's mount and the lower wing out of the fuse. While I'm usually pretty good with repairs I don't think I can do this one keeping it both light and strong enough to handle the loads I put on the airframe. This has been my favorite plane for four years and I'm really bummed to lose it. Of course Horizon in their infinate marketing wisdom have discontinued the model for a newer (better selling?) Design
It also looks like hopes aren't popular with the stunting crowd for now.
Even when you know it's going to happen sometime it's still hard to lose a favorite. Thanx for letting me vent...
Rob II
Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I know how you feel ... but I'm one who will not let go and repair some that look impossible.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:45 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah that sucks. Hate to lose one you enjoy so much.

I have yet to figure out Horizons marketing plan. It seems so counter intuitive to us hobbyists. Maybe it makes more sense in the business world for profits, but it sure does suck when you can't get stuff to fix or replace what you need. That is one of the factors that has got me into building. Now when I tear something up I know how to fix it and I have the plans to make new parts.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Pal of mine has just built Dancing Wings 1500mm DR1 Fokker. Trying to take off from grass for its maiden, the setup was marginal and it half cartwheeled. Damage was little - but was the top wing fixing. Thin ply tabs as part of the centre section ribs.

He traced out from the model a replacement whole rib with tabs .. increased tab size, and in high quality 3mm Ply instead of the Chinese Lite Ply. Gave me the JPG file, 3mm ply and I cut accurate replacements for him in my Laser machine. I have the file saved as well for future. To do that by hand would take hours ... and needs to be spot on as it also sets the CF spars.

Because he has the scrap wood from the parts sheets - he can trace any part he needs for me to laser.

Nigel
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The thought of a laser cutter to me is very intriguing!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Nigel, Are you still using that small laser unit you had years ago, or have you bought a bigger one?