Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

EDF motor questions....

Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
fr0g_D

Default EDF motor questions....

Ok, let me start off by saying thanks in advance. A friend and I both bought Soarjets at the hobby-lobby.com black Friday sale. Yeah that's right we got sucked in, it was madness I tell ya! Anyway it comes with this ducted fan unit and I have been looking around for a motor with the right specs to go in it. I'm not having much luck.

Super Flying 66mm Ducted Fan unit 66mm (2-9/16") inside diameter, 60mm (2-3/8") long with inlet ring, 81mm (3-3/16") outside diameter with inlet ring, 68mm (2-11/16") outside diameter without inlet ring. Accepts up to a 29mm diameter motor with a screw mount spacing of 16mm and a shaft size of 2.3mm. Weighs 1.4 oz. Impeller has 6 blades; when used with brushless motor MT2235 three blades should be removed making it a 3-bladed impeller.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ductfan.htm

Yeah its easy to just buy what HL is offering! Right? Well yeah that's the easy route but I just gotta see what else is out there. Maybe I can find a deal and maybe I won't but I had to run this past the experts before I hit the pay button.

25.3mm (1") diameter, 31mm (1-1/4") long, 2.3mm shaft, 9 pole motor with a Kv of 3500. Motor mounts with 4-3mm screws on 16mm diameter spacing. Powerful high torque motor for use in our 66mm ducted fan (MT1028). Use with 3 cell LiPo battery and 18A Jeti Brushless controller.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-sfm.htm

5100 Kv (rpm/volt), 38-1/2 grams (1-1/3 oz.) weight, 130-290 watts. Length of motor (face of mount to rear of motor shaft) is 31.5mm (1-1/4"), motor shaft is 3mm. High performance motor specially designed for use in small ducted fans. Has been tested in the ALF5101 59mm fan used in the Alfa Ta-183, MIG-15, and F-86 jets; requires slight modification of fan unit and the addition of fan rotor for 3mm shaft (ALF51013). In the Alfa fan the RPM is approximately 45,000 on a 3-cell Lithium battery while drawing 16 amps. Never static test this motor for more than 30 seconds. The CONTROLLER for Jet Screamer is JESAP18 - Jeti Advance PLUS 18 Amp Brushless Controller.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/littlescreamers.htm

So I guess my questions would be this:

1) Where do you guys buy your motors for your EDF setups and what brands?
2) Should I be looking in the heli section of motors for higher Kv rated ones?
3) Would an inrunner be a good choice for a fan of this spec?

I guess that's all I can come up with now. I'm sure I will think of more later.

Thanks again.

D
Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

My friend has one of these. The stock fan unit is just fine to use. He powered it with the Wicked 4800 with 2.3mm shaft ($35). You need to break off three blades to make it a 3 blade rotor. That will be a 350 watt power plant and that will fly very nicely. If you want to go a littleless watts then some guys have used the Wicked 4000 in that fan and you can use all 6 blades in that setup if you want or 3 blades as well.

Don
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM
fr0g_D

Oh man Don thanks, I had just been looking at your motors before I noticed that you had posted here.

Looks like the 4800 model will make too man amps for my 32amp esc i was planning on using so I think I will go for the 4000. Plus there have been reports of the wings folding up on this plane so I would rather keep the speed down a bit anyway. HL has already trimmed off three of the blades on my fan unit. ;-( So what do you think I will be ok?

Thanks again man. Can't wait to do business with ya!

Later

D
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

EDF are Fun Huh, with the MT2235 motor, you have to remove 3 of the 6 blades, thats a real Pain, so you dont want to use that motor, with the 66mm EDF, the 5100kv little screamer motor, you may have to do the same thing, 5100kv will be a real Heater, the most kv you need is 3500 to 3900kv, any more than that, and you just wasting your lipos to heat,

I would strongly suggest that you get a more quality EDF unit like the one below, and use a mega motor, i went the cheap route, and wasted my money, poor quality, poor performance from a cheapy EDF, and put your money into a quality EDF that will last. hope that helps, Chellie

If Don has a Wicked motor that will fit this EDF I would also go that route too

Dynamically pre-balanced. 68mm rotor diameter, 72mm outside diameter of tube and 93mm dia. front fairing ring. The motor housing is 29mm inside diameter JetScreamer 1400 (MMC1400) is powerful choice for use with this fan unit.Also fits 480’s and Mega Motors MM16152 and MM16153 Brushless 400’s.
WMF0013 Mini Fan PRO 480 for 3.2mm Shaft Electric
Motors ..... $ 54.90
AVAILABLE NOW
Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by fr0g_D View Post
HL has already trimmed off three of the blades on my fan unit. ;-( So what do you think I will be ok?
Thanks again man. Can't wait to do business with ya!
Later
D
The stock 3 bladed fan on the W4000 will be about 250 watts. You can get it with a 2.3mm shaft and it will mount right in the stock unit and use the stock rotor collet as well.

Don