Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Phase 3 ef-16 questions

Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

AnglerHi
She is looking awesome!
Hillbille is right......the rectangle holes along the sides of the fuse under the wings
The forward edge of these is where you want to balance
Careful about adding "up trim" on launch
EDF's typically require a bit of time to gather speed and any additional up trim can induce a premature stall which would be very detrimental to that good looking plane....a nice low angle climbout is especially important with a small fan like this one uses
If you upgrade to a 70 MM fan than climbout is no problem
I can ROG mine with no landing gear!
Hope your maiden goes well!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks friend!! I'll try and balance her there. Do you have an upgraded power plant in her...I take it that you do if you can ROG with her with no landing gear. What are you using in her? Thanks.

Mike
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

AnglerHi
In one I am using a HET 6904 70MM fan and a jetscreamer 1400, 100 amp ESC, flightpower 3200 Mah 4 cell ...90 amps and 1410 watts
145 - 150 Mph
The other is using a schubler DS 30 70 MM fan and a HET typhoon 2W-25 motor with an e-flite 60 amp ESC, flightpower 4300 Mah 5 cell lipo....55 amps and 1300 watts
125 to 130 Mph
Both these planes have been dopplered and radared for speed verification and speed tests were done flat and level with no diving
These things are amazing and a lot of fun to fly
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

usmc is my kind of wacky speedfreak!!! but i'm just gonna fly mine stock for now. this little bird always looks like its goin fast anyway!!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Awesome planes both of you!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Iflyrc
I made a bet with a fellow flyer at my field that if he brought his model rocket launch pad I will glue a couple of guide tubes to my jet and she will take off straight up!
:O
These planes are hilarious to launch because there is no throwing involved.....just let go!
I have some crazy fast stuff but I still get a kick out of flying a stock one......they fly so nice!
A good cheap upgrade is a alpha 5 blade fan unit
You will have to check with Don for which of his motors on the alpha unit on which battery
but that set-up will get you an honest 110 to 115 Mph
The XF fan that is supplied stock does have a limit where it just gets louder and instead of making more power
But is a great little fan
I love takeing my powerhouses up and flying by .40 size warbirds with YS 110's in em and pulling vert past them until she is just a dot!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM
[email protected]

JUst revceived minein the mail today. I am hoping to get some help as this is my first EDF. I have read the posts and I can't wait to get started . I have a few questions. I am leaving it with the stock set up for now but may upgrade later for more speed. I have bought the 1/64 ply for the renforcement. I have also purchased 2 HS-65 metal gear servos.
?1. Will I need to have carbon spars and if yes, how do I do that?
?2. Do I need to glass the tailerons for strength if I decide to upgrade later?
?3. THere is already some type of strenghtening on the sft part of fuse where the upgrade ply goes. Do I just put the ply over what is already on the plane?
?4. The bushing on the tail goes all the way through to the other side, do I still need to put another on the other side as well?
?5. Recommendation for attaching Fan to FUse. I may wan tot replace later?

I am sure I will have more ???'s but that is all I can think of for now.
THanks guys, great group of people here.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Cory! I was looking at those power plants on RCWarbirds. I may have to get another kit or two like you.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
JUst revceived minein the mail today. I am hoping to get some help as this is my first EDF. I have read the posts and I can't wait to get started . I have a few questions. I am leaving it with the stock set up for now but may upgrade later for more speed. I have bought the 1/64 ply for the renforcement. I have also purchased 2 HS-65 metal gear servos.
?1. Will I need to have carbon spars and if yes, how do I do that?
?2. Do I need to glass the tailerons for strength if I decide to upgrade later?
?3. THere is already some type of strenghtening on the sft part of fuse where the upgrade ply goes. Do I just put the ply over what is already on the plane?
?4. The bushing on the tail goes all the way through to the other side, do I still need to put another on the other side as well?
?5. Recommendation for attaching Fan to FUse. I may wan tot replace later?

I am sure I will have more ???'s but that is all I can think of for now.
THanks guys, great group of people here.
Welcome to Wattflyer friend! This thread has some great advice and suggestions in it. It may take a while, but read this thread from the beginning. As you can see Hillbille, Larry and USMC VTOL Mech probably have all the answers as far as reinforcing this bird. Good luck with your build friend, and keep us posted.

Mike
Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

[email protected] let me see if I can help you a bit
Carbon spars I think are more preference than necessity but of course once you get up in the speed the need for them goes up. I feel if you plan on flying 120 and under there is no need. They will however strengthen your airframe so the decision is yours. I use a dremel tool to install my spars. I use a metal cutting bit and draw a straight line on the foam with a pen where you want the spar. dremel your slot along the line glue in the spar I then fill in the groove with some lightwieght spackle. That way the spar is actually "buried" into the foam
The best spar IMO is from the rear of the pylon all the way forward to the LE of the wing
I would wait to glass the elevons until you actually upgrade the power system. Try and keep the wieght down on stock powered birds
Remove that reinforcement plastic on the sides before you put on the upgrade wood
Also if the brass bushings are not all the way in remove them and glue them flush
many ways to attach fan to fuse. I use a dot or two of automotive type silicon gasket making material
Just two small dots about dime size will hold the fan well and make it easy to remove later
Hope this helps and feel free with any other questions
Welcome to wattflyer!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
[email protected]

I am thinking about a THnder Tiger 3C Lipo 2200mah 25C. WIll this work the best for the stock ESC and Motor?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

[email protected]
That battery will work fine for stock application
when I first maiden a plane esp and EDF I fly it for about 3 to 4 min then land and immediately temp the motor and battery with a temp gun
As long as the bat stays under 150 degrees it's ok
You can approximate temp by holding the battery
If you can hold it with no problem but it's warm ..about 100 to 110 degrees
If you can hold it but have to let go after 5 to 10 sec then that's about 130 to 140 degrees
If you cannot hold it for 2 sec
than it's getting too hot
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey guys, I just added chrome highlights to the tiger stripes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning Flights-10-11-2008 036.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	84774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning Flights-10-11-2008 037.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	84775  
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

AnglerHi
Would you go fly that darn thing already?
She looks killer Mike!
Great Job
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by USMC_VTOL_Mech View Post
AnglerHi
Would you go fly that darn thing already?
She looks killer Mike!
Great Job
Ditto! I won't get a chance to fly mine this week due to the weather and Thanksgiving. What's your excuse?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

LOL! Thanks guys, I'm just waiting for the weather to be right. Not really worried about an overcast, as I'm sure orientation won't be a problem. Yesterday would have been great, but I wasn't quite finished with her. She's got a coat of Minwax WBP drying right now. I'll get a video and some still pics of the maiden as soon as I can. I'm setting my alarm clock for 0600 hoping the wind isn't an issue.

Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 AM
RobEllis
New to EP

Default How fast is stock setup?

If you get the HP phase3 EF-16 with the stock motor/fan/esc and I use my 3S 2200MAH 25C battery what kind of speed should I expect?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

RobEllis
Stock setup will get you 65-70 Mph flat and level
Faster of course in a dive.....but when we radar planes no diving is allowed
Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 AM
RobEllis
New to EP

Default Thanks USMC_VTOL_Mech

If I were looking for 90-100mph, what would be the best bang for buck? Should I buy the bare kit and use which fan/motor/esc with my 3S 2200MAH 25C?

This would be my first edf. But if it's not a whole lot more $$ to get the bare kit and some upgraded power it might be worth it in the end.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RobEllis View Post
If I were looking for 90-100mph, what would be the best bang for buck? Should I buy the bare kit and use which fan/motor/esc with my 3S 2200MAH 25C?

This would be my first edf. But if it's not a whole lot more $$ to get the bare kit and some upgraded power it might be worth it in the end.
A Don's Wicked 5400Kv motor, stock fan, 60A ESC on a 4s should put you at 100mph.

Motor
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=50

ESC
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=43

Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

o.k. the plane arrived LAST FRIDAY. . . but i can't touch it until CHRISTMAS!!!! SHE says "its a present and don't be a big baby"
Old 11-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
o.k. the plane arrived LAST FRIDAY. . . but i can't touch it until CHRISTMAS!!!! SHE says "its a present and don't be a big baby"
So go get HER and early X-mas present, show it to her, then tell her she can't have it until X-mas...betcha she'll reconsider.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

nah. . . nothing will give her more pleasure that watching me twist in the wind for a month. She's pure evil i tell ya!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
nah. . . nothing will give her more pleasure that watching me twist in the wind for a month. She's pure evil i tell ya!!
LOL
Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

IflyRC
What you should do is throw yourself on the ground kick your legs and scream while flailing your arms
In other words just throw a big ole hissy fit!
That will show her who the baby is!
RobEllis
AnglerHi hit the nail right on the head. That setup will get you 100 Mph no sweat
I personally am not a big fan (pun intended) of the stock fan (XF fan)
I like the alpha fans and the 70 MM fans
Just preference I guess
The XF fan does get the job done though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13096 seconds with 15 queries