Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

3 dumb questions - first time Easy Flyer

Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Deadstick 101

Default 3 dumb questions - first time Easy Flyer

Ok I just put this bad boy together and the first thing I noticed was "wheres the battery pack"? It is one of the Li-Po batteries with a brushless motor. I guessed it is that small pack with the 2 large black and red wires coming out with a horizontal and a vertical conection for the charger? is this correct?
Now the battery charger, do I need to buy a 12v, a/c plug adaptor to plug into the charger pack? I guess the red and black aligator clip wires that come from this pack, clip onto the other horizontal and vertical conections leading from the battery?
And how do I turn the plan on? Or do I just charge it up and turn on the transmitter and she's away?

Steve
Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Deadstick 101

Well it looks like I never got the battery wth my plane. So I will go back to the shop that I got it from and I hope they give me one. And those 2 aligator clips that come out of the charger I guess they clip to your car battery or the two wires from a 12v a/c pack.

Steve
Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Battery Hook-Up

Hello Steve, Welcome to Wattflyer!
The two (thick) red + Black wires that come out of the battery will need to have a connector soldered on. This connector will need to match the charger output wire connector. When soldering the connector onto the battery, DO NOT let the wires touch!
Here's a photo of the most common connectors, the large ones are called Deans Ultra. Note the female conector half is on the battery side. This is so there is no chance of a short by a wire or tool bridging the two prongs or tabs.
The smaller connector is called a JST connector, this is for small or low power batteries.
The other set of wires is for a "Balancing plug" which hooks up to a cell balancer. One well-known balancer is called the Astro Flight "Blinky".
Yes, you will need a 12v power supply for the charger, that's what the alligator clips are for.
Last, motor-to-ESC (Speed Controller) is usually made with "Bullet" connectors soldered onto the motor leads and the leads from the ESC.
Hope this helps!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	76813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	76814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.JPG