E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Blade 400 upgrade questions

Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Laszlo

Default Blade 400 upgrade questions

I got my GY401 today and the manual shipped with the gyro says that the 'digital' mode will only operate with the Futaba tail servos. I invested in a JR3500G for the tail.
Question #1 - what now? Will the GY401 work with the JR3500G in digital mode?

The rest of my (3) servos are Spectrum DSP75s. The programmer I got for them has no instruction manual. It also seems it needs a battery. LOL why could they not send a complete package?

Question #2 - anyone has any experience with programming the DSP75s? I need a link to get the info regarding how to operate this thing.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 AM
theecoop

from what i found others have used it with the gy401
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 AM
Laszlo

Thanks. With some digging I found help on YouTube: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53TeGHTkv2E&feature=related[/media]. It describes how to install the GY401 with a JR3400. My JR3500 is an 'updated version' of the 3400 tail servo, so I should be OK.

However, I am still chasing some sort of user manual for the Digital Servo Programmer.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
carhop
Carl

Default Programmer battery

I got a battery holder at hobby town that holds 4 AA batterys and has a end like the servo plug to power up the programmer.
The name on the package was Traxxas # 3039. It was $4.00 The plug was a little big and i trimed it with a razor to get it to fit.
Carl
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Laszlo

Originally Posted by carhop View Post
I got a battery holder at hobby town that holds 4 AA batterys and has a end like the servo plug to power up the programmer.
The name on the package was Traxxas # 3039. It was $4.00 The plug was a little big and i trimed it with a razor to get it to fit.
Carl
Thanks for the plug idea. I will look into that. Now if I could just get hold of the "how to" use this thing.

Laszlo
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Thanks for the plug idea. I will look into that. Now if I could just get hold of the "how to" use this thing.

Laszlo
What happened to the instruction card that came with the programmer??
Old 08-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Laszlo

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
What happened to the instruction card that came with the programmer??
Good question!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Laszlo

1. Made connectors to the servo programmer power connector by using the pins from a discarded old BCX2 LiPo pack - I saved the connectors with the attached wires before sent the LiPo to the recyclers. And they call me a rat-pack - hahh! It was easy to find a 4 AA pack at Radio Shack and the rest is history.

FYI - I found that all 3 DSP75 servos were programmed for airplane mode and all was reversed to our use. Now all that is behind me.

2. I found the instructions, neatly inside double folded backing of the programmer package. I was looking for some visible 'extra paper thickness' and never bothered to open the package.

In any case I am making progress. I am in the final stages (hopefully) of the tail setup following sokal's videos.

Will this bird ever crash again? Wish me luck!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM
RyuuChi

hey, i know it's a bit off topic, but if you're interested in upgrading to all aluminum head and tail, i got a set that i'll let go cheap. that'll give you an arm up if you ever crash again, plus add some bling!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Laszlo

Originally Posted by gaak View Post
hey, i know it's a bit off topic, but if you're interested in upgrading to all aluminum head and tail, i got a set that i'll let go cheap. that'll give you an arm up if you ever crash again, plus add some bling!
No, I am not ready to spend more money. Already have an ALU blade grip on - never flew with it so far.

Thanks anyway
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

The microheli grips? Take em off......lol. That alum is so soft it will bend just looking at it.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 AM
RyuuChi

i have never had a problem with microheli's aluminum that didn't involve me flying waaay too fast and a large tree...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Laszlo

I love the dissent! Well IF I ever get this bird off the ground I will try the ALU grips. Heck I already paid for them.

As for the rest I am planning to stay with stock parts. At least they are cheap to replace - if you can get them! BLINGS will not make me a better pilot.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
BLINGS will not make me a better pilot.
That all depends. If your heli flies 50x better with a few "blings" it WILL make you fly better. Very hard to progress on a heli that doesnt fly very well

For instance compared to the sloppy stock head, the align or copterx has has virtually NO play. It flies much better. Also the CNC tail has much more authority and travel, so not all of the metal parts are just for looks
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Laszlo

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
That all depends. If your heli flies 50x better with a few "blings" it WILL make you fly better. Very hard to progress on a heli that doesnt fly very well

For instance compared to the sloppy stock head, the align or copterx has has virtually NO play. It flies much better. Also the CNC tail has much more authority and travel, so not all of the metal parts are just for looks
I agree. There is always bling and gold. Unless you are in the know it is hard to tell the difference.

Cheers