Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Scratchbuilder Contest #2 Poll Questions

Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I'm truly sorry about this but cant be CD for the contest.

Best of luck, Kosh
Old 09-01-2008, 04:10 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Bummer Kosh, will you be able compete in the contest? Hope everything is ok.

So the search continues for a CD...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:49 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

perhaps fireman bill? or Gdfengine? or any other moderators?
or is a CD someone that has scratchbuilding experience?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I don't think prior experience would be needed to be the CD. Just somebody to be a central contact point for any questions and to coordinate the prizes. I'm trying to find somebody...no luck so far.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

hmmmm..... hope we find someone maybe frank could be again? lol
Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Frank has a lot on his plate with the WAA-08 project. I think we should consider ourselves lucky that he took the time for contest #1. Asking him to do it again just wouldn't be right.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Larry, Kosh, Aero K, and GA if any of you guys start your entry thread be sure to post a link here so we can all find it. I won't be starting mine until after our fly-in on the 20th and I get some plans in hand.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Sure think smoke, i gotta buy parts first, ill probably start well after school starts(gotta get the mind in gear)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
aero_k

Yeah, school starts this week for me too. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to build something for this contest when it gets going. Finding time to fly will be hard enough...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

yeah thats for sure im looking forward to those winter breaks the long ones lol
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

We have a victim, err uhh...I mean we have a volunteer . Jim ,aka Rabbitcreekok, has offered to be the CD for contest #2. If no one has any objections, which I can't imagine why anyone would, contest #2 is official. Let's give Jim a warm welcome and give him a couple of days to start a new thread with everything we have discussed in this thread cleaned up and lined out.

Thanks Jim for volunteering your time, I'm sure you will make a great CD .
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Jim will be a great CD. Thanks for stepping up Jim.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

My condolences.....er, uh, CONGRATULATIONS, Jim!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Wow, he went into this with his eyes wide open.
Thanks Jim.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
RickAvery

Ok guys, I’ll go with what you all say. I have a scratch build which I’ve already started. Because of family, church, scouts and my kids’ high school activities, I build VERY slow due to the limited time in a day & get about 2 builds a year completed. I’ve been awaiting the contest #2 start date & have documented the build so far with pics so I could post the build thread. She’s a long way off from being flyable at this point. I would never be able to complete it in the 3 month window. This is a scratch build as in one of a kind. Can I enter?? Thanks for your consideration.
Rick
Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
Ok guys, Iíll go with what you all say. I have a scratch build which Iíve already started. Because of family, church, scouts and my kidsí high school activities, I build VERY slow due to the limited time in a day & get about 2 builds a year completed. Iíve been awaiting the contest #2 start date & have documented the build so far with pics so I could post the build thread. Sheís a long way off from being flyable at this point. I would never be able to complete it in the 3 month window. This is a scratch build as in one of a kind. Can I enter?? Thanks for your consideration.
Rick
Normally, a build needs to start on or after the "official start date", but Im inclined to let you enter yours. The more the merrier and I think you're 'close enough'.

This is WattFlyer after all and its about having fun more than sticking hard and fast to the "rules".

Im not the CD, so its his call, but you've got my vote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
My take on whether you can enter a plane that's already built? No. I believe it must be a model that is built FOR this contest. Now whether it can be a model that you've already started, but happens to fit the rules (which, in this case, could be any model), that's a bit tricky. How much is already built? When is the cut-off? A month before the contest? A week?
The simplest solution would be to specify the build must start on or after
Sept 1, and end before Dec 10.
The new CD will have the final say on this. So we need a CD!
Vote soon!
Ron
I think Ron has some good points on whether or not a plane already in progress should be allowed. That being said this is Wattflyer and we are a little more laid back than other boards...which I think is a good thing. I would have no problems letting Rick in on the competition but if we do we need to allow b1bman to enter his plane as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey smoke! thanks again for the kind move with the esc and motor, it has arrived today and they look great!! im going to see with what i can come up with as a "temporary" plane because i dont have any good 3C light packs(last one the wires touched and puffed up instantly almost fumed on me) ahh i gotta order from HC soon

thanks frank for shipping the items!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I think Ron has some good points on whether or not a plane already in progress should be allowed. That being said this is Wattflyer and we are a little more laid back than other boards...which I think is a good thing. I would have no problems letting Rick in on the competition but if we do we need to allow b1bman to enter his plane as well.
Well, the difference between the two is b1bman's plane was built and completed last year. I think thats going a bit too far in terms of leeway on the rules
Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Let me work on a set of rules that should cover a nice build contest. I will post them in a new thread. I will show a link to the thread from this one. I will try to accommodate everyone in the rules.

On the start date of September 1, everyone seems to be in agreement that a build that has already started, but barely started is OK. We will just leave it up to the integrity of the person involved. However, anyone who has not spoken up at this time will not be allowed to enter anything but a new build.

Let me know if you have any final input before I post the rules.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Sounds fair enough .
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

ooo quick question would building a Pipercub from FFF scratch foam be alowed? as in like you print a 3view and then create a bird from that?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Larry3215

Sounds good to me too
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM
wilmracer

I don't suppose I could enter my sailplane project

Otherwise I'm gonna have to sit this one out. Not a big deal either way... I'll get in on one of these eventually.

I'm actually going to try to push through the rest of it to have it flyable in the next two weeks, and after that I'm going to have to put the scratchbuilding on hold for a while to get a bunch of stuff done around the house. I've let a lot of projects build up over the summer... need to get them done before the fall.

In two weeks they are hay-ing one of the fields at the farm... just imagine a freshly mowed 40 acre landing strip . I can't pass that up, can I???
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Guys, sorry for the delay but I put together some proposed rules and sent them to Ron. Or at least I thought I sent them to Ron. I actually sent them to Skyshark, who has not been on the forum since 2006. Strangely enough, he did not reply. I just resent them to Sky Sharkster and I bet he will reply.

Again, I apologize for the delay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13639 seconds with 13 queries