Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Scratchbuilder Contest #2 Poll Questions

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

While I'm all for the start date and rules Sky Sharkster has the final say about what goes on here. I think a one time contest director (New for each one) is a fine idea and Frank did a outstanding job with it. Not a lot of time left to pick our new CD and let him fine tune the rules for the next one but we can do it if we act soon.

Because this contest runs for over 3 months I cant see any reason why multiple builds cant be entered this time. If you build 3 planes enter all three with a build thread for each. Lets keep is simple and fun, the Wattflyer way.

Kosh
Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Aww sweet! makes the odds better for ya! cool great idea!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

So is Skysharkster the CD then? I was just using that term loosly and didnt intend to mess with the flow.

If he isnt - or if we need a CD, then I nominate Kosh as CD

By the way - people who nominate other people cannot be nominated themselves (I just made upo that rule) - so dont anyone pick me! I am going to enter the contest myself, so I cant be CD anyway
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Next Contest?

Hi All,
If everyone agrees with Kosh's rules from post # 45;

1. Open design contest (Free for all) Must include build thread.
2. Starts September 1st and runs to December 10th (During the building season)
3. Voting from December 11th to the 28th (Voting needs more than a week)
4. Voting based on originality, build thread and how well it flies

We can go ahead with a new contest. There are no prizes yet, but over the course of 3 months I'm sure something will turn up.
As we did with the first one, I believe it would be in the best interest to have a Member CD. W/F will oversee the contest and work with the CD to keep everything running as smoothly as possible.
The CD cannot enter the contest that he or she is running.
So, post your nominee here, and please also indicate whether you plan to participate this time.
My take on whether you can enter a plane that's already built? No. I believe it must be a model that is built FOR this contest. Now whether it can be a model that you've already started, but happens to fit the rules (which, in this case, could be any model), that's a bit tricky. How much is already built? When is the cut-off? A month before the contest? A week?
The simplest solution would be to specify the build must start on or after
Sept 1, and end before Dec 10.
The new CD will have the final say on this. So we need a CD!
Vote soon!
Ron
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'll second Larry's nominee, Kosh. Unless Kosh was wanting to enter? I would volunteer but I would rather be in the contest.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Im in the contest! love building, need to buy powerplants though..
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Watts up guys...any more nominees or thoughts about the next contest?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Because of the short notice involved to get the next one running I don't mind play CD this time. I may enter something in there just for the heck of it but it wont count in the voting part.

Here's kinda the way I see this one working out so lets hears some feedback on the plan. Its changeable at this point so ask away if something is not right.

1. Open design contest (Free for all) Must include build thread.
2. Starts September 1st and runs to December 10th (During the building season)
3. Voting from December 11th to the 28th (Voting needs more than a week)

I want to see your build thread started separate from the contest, Theirs no need to go step by step to cover the entire build unless you want to. Photos of the build along the way is greatly encouraged and the more the better in my book. Once your plane and build thread are complete you enter the contest with a link to your thread and your 5 best photos from it otherwise the contest could be 30 to 40 pages and hard to navigate.

I don't know about prizes yet but at this point its a minor detail I can work on. See anything I might have missed or overlooked?

Kosh
Old 08-30-2008, 04:13 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

sounds good and fun to me! def gotta order some parts, ive already got one powerplant thanks Smoke!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'm not sure if watt I was planning actually fits in the scope of the contest. I was thinking of building a balsa plane from plans. It won't be original since it will be somebody else's design that has already been built and proven. It would have my own personal touches but over all it would still be somebody else's design. I guess that kind of gets into the debate of calling a plane built from plans scratchbuilt.

And from the results of contest #1, I would just leave out how well it flies from the judging criteria. As far as I know there are still no pics or video of the winners plane in the air. It didn't seem to matter as far as the voting went.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Larry3215

I like it but I have a couple of questions to clarify the details and a sugestion.

Are we going to be voting in several different catageories?

In other words - will there be several different winners - one for each category? Or is it going to be one "winner" but using those areas in judging a winner?

If we are going to have multiple winners (I like that idea) - Id like to suggest a different list of ideas for possible categories.

1)best looking
2)best flying
3)wierdest/most original/coolest
4)"nice try" or "oops!" for the ones that wont fly worth a darn, crash on the maiden, etc.
5)ugliest (my favorite)
7) best build thread

Of course, that means multiple prizes or maybe give the actual "prize" to the top over all winner or top 2 etc.

Its just an idea but since its my idea I kind of like it

Forgot one more question - if we are judging how well they fly that means a video is needed?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I'm not sure if watt I was planning actually fits in the scope of the contest. I was thinking of building a balsa plane from plans. It won't be original since it will be somebody else's design that has already been built and proven. It would have my own personal touches but over all it would still be somebody else's design. I guess that kind of gets into the debate of calling a plane built from plans scratchbuilt.

And from the results of contest #1, I would just leave out how well it flies from the judging criteria. As far as I know there are still no pics or video of the winners plane in the air. It didn't seem to matter as far as the voting went.
Those are all good reasons to break down the voting into seperate areas.

I had a hard time choseing in that contest for those reasons - no video and not much detail but the best looking one drew most all the votes - even mine. Thats how it usually goes.

By the way - I see no reason yours could be in the running. Asfar as Im concerned building from plans is close enough to scratch building - You just didnt do the design.

In addition - yours may fly great, look outstanding and or have some other charactistic that makes it a cut above the norm.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post

Getting video is easier said than done for most anyways, For many its a down right pain. Lets just use the honer system for this, If you can get 3 flights in without destroying the plane its a proven design.

Building from someone else's plans is ok if you modify it some some way. Make a different tail, add ailerons, add retracts and so forth, I think you get the picture. More than one plane is allowed to enter as long as theirs a build thread for each.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

If ya cant get someone to videotape then just stick a camera onto it, thats what i did for the gentle goose. Im a lone flyer so no video tapers, i like the separate sections idea.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Good point Frank, Before I make a bunch of categories lets see how many entries we get. I could see 3 if there's enough interest. It could look something like this?

1. Balsa
2. Foam
3. Jet

Winner of each category makes it to the finals for a grand prize winners.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

What if we do 2 main categories

1) Balsa
2) Foam

then we could branch off

1)balsa
----Jet
-------edf

or
2) foam
-----Slowflyer
--------outrunner...

well that was just an example but like couple of main categories that branch off with their own specialities and differences
Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Larry3215

I should have known if Kosh was CD jets would get in there somewhere
Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Perhaps I could have chosen my words better and said Delta's instead of jets, That term covers a much greater area. How about we try this?

1. Balsa
2. Foam
3. Other

The "Other" can be a blend of both or something that just doesn't fit a category made with non standard materials. That should cover most entries we could get and still keep it simple.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Larry3215

I guess I didnt choose my words very well either - I wasnt wanting to break down the build categories. I like have it wide open as it was.

I was suggesting we break down the judging criteria.

What your suggesting is we pick the best balsa plane and the best foam plane and the best delta/jet plane.

That still leaves the question of what is "best"?

Is it the best looking or the best flying or the best paint job or the most unusual or the best use of materials or?

95% of the people vote for the best looking planes.

My suggestion is to break down HOW we select the best plane.

Id like to break it down into seperate things that make the difference between a fair build and a great build and vote on those.

That way the builder who has the best looking plane wins THAT - no matter what type of plane it is.
The builder who has the best flying plane wins THAT - no matter how ugly it is.
The builder who has the most unusual/wierd/cool plane wins THAT even if it cant fly worth a darn.

Doesnt matter what its built from or what it is - just how well its built or painted or flys.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Perhaps Larry is correct and we make 3 winners of this. (I'm taking this all in and will decide by the 1st how we play)

For voting hows this work?

Category 1. Best looking
Category 2. Best flying
Category 3. Best design

Lets try and keep this to only 3 categories for entries and voting.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Larry3215

Thats fine too, but if we are only going to have 3 categories then we probably should take out best flying.

The only way to judge that is if the builder can post a video so we can see how well it flys. I thought we nixed the video requirement?

How about most unusual or ugliest or best build thread or best crash or?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Sounds good then guys. I wonder if it's just going to be us 3. I wonder if we could talk Kev or Tom into being the CD so Kosh can enter.

Is there anybody out there following this thread that is going to enter that hasn't posted?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Larry3215

Since its wide open, I dont see why lots of folks dont enter.

Everyone is gonna beat me in the first category (best looking) for sure, so everyone has a good shot at the title
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

You must have not seen my entry in contest #1 if you think you have the "ugliest plane" in the bag .
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM
aero_k

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
Perhaps Larry is correct and we make 3 winners of this. (I'm taking this all in and will decide by the 1st how we play)

For voting hows this work?

Category 1. Best looking
Category 2. Best flying
Category 3. Best design

Lets try and keep this to only 3 categories for entries and voting.
I like this idea, and I agree that "best flying" might be hard to judge. For one, I don't have a good camera, and second, how the plane flies depends on the pilot. I might build a great flying plane, but make it look like a brick...

I'm looking forward to the guidelines for this contest and hopefully I'll be able to enter this one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16423 seconds with 13 queries