How do you get into a flat spin? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How do you get into a flat spin?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
mlamb01

Default How do you get into a flat spin?

I have a Eflite Cap 232 balsa profile, and I am trying to push my limits a bit more. What kind of inputs do I need to get into a flat spin? Will it be easy to recover from?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

The FLAT SPIN is a fairly complex maneuver and should be accomplished by the more advanced pilot. It can be a very nerve racking manuever to learn, so use caution when attempting one or practice with a decent flight simulator before trying it with your favorite plane. To accomplish this manuever, first enter a conventional spin and as the spin developes, SLOWLY add in opposite aileron. As you do this slowly add throttle to about half. The plane *should* flatten out. Now to recover, release the sticks and add opposite rudder and a bit of down elevator. The plane should spin 2-3 more times then fall out. The recovery is where people freeze up and their plane goes BOOM! This is because releasing the sticks doesn't stop the plane from spinning. It won't because one wing panel has completely stalled. Another version of a flat spin is to slowly add down elevator instead of aileron which produces a flatter spin. It also helps to bring the aileron stick to neutral. One tip is to start way up high so you have time to think things out. You can release the sticks to recover but it usually takes anywhere from 5 to 8 turns. It doesn't feel good to see your plane spinning in and hoping it will come out before it goes SPLAT!

The spin is an intermediate maneuver but fairly easy to learn and master. First, start with lots of altitude and chop the throttle. As the plane slows down add up elevator to keep the nose up, the nose should be up about 10 degrees. The plane will stall and should fall nose down. As it does this, put the sticks to the bottom left corners. The plane should begin to rotate around it's CG. To get out of the spin, release the sticks. The plane may still rotate once or twice then fall out. Some of the more heavier planes may require the application of opposite rudder and a little power to get out of the maneuver.

Shamelessly cut and pasted from:
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/aerobat.html

(Lazy airport employees!)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

it depends on the plane but we have figured out with planes that are harder to do them you do this, get plenty high enough throttle down and give full left rudder, once the plane falls over give full up elevator then right aileron and come up on the power untill the plane becomes level. should be in a flat at this time. plane with elevator,aileron inputs for a total flat one. to much or not enough can make it come out of it. when your flat just let go of sticks and it should come right out of it.

Do not attempt with a 40-60-120 size glow Big stick, they do great ones but will not come out. I have seen two go into the ground before.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 AM
HeadMaster

I found these instructional videos very helpful. Flatspin is included.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/HowToFly3DVids.htm
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

I asked a pilot this before he said you kinda put the plane to a near stall and pull up and give her hard rudder..
thats what i heard dont know if its actually the way to do it.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 AM
pablo27

I tried my first flat spin yesterday with my Multiplex Gemini Bipe. I flew her really high until she was a virtual dot and then applied full rudder a bit of thottle and up elavator. Ok it wasn't a 'text book' flat spin but it wasn't far off. She seemed to float down for some time until I levelled her out quite easily, I just need a bit more practice and more nerves to perfect it !

I would certainly recommend gaining as much height as poss be for attempting this
Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
I asked a pilot this before he said you kinda put the plane to a near stall and pull up and give her hard rudder..
thats what i heard dont know if its actually the way to do it.
Yeah...stall ...nose over forward, hard left rudder and full up.....you can ad left aileron to get it spinning then work the stick back to center to slow the spin and flatten more(some models will not need this). You need alot of elevator and rudder to really flatten out...all you can get on your setup. You can add throttle to get the nose up.

Also...dont expect every plane to do real flat flatspins....my MUS will not get as flat as my Velox and Extra which will both get pancake flat.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 PM
radweld

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
I found these instructional videos very helpful. Flatspin is included.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/HowToFly3DVids.htm
Bookmarked this page, good find.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:05 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Lots of rudder throw, elevator throw and rearward CG help too.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 PM
radweld

Tried but couldnt do this on my PXT28 today, I guess the stock setup is nose heavy because the nose dropped every time I tried.