New battery cell balance question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

New battery cell balance question

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2014, 08:42 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Default New battery cell balance question

OK, this makes me feel like a newb again, but gotta ask.

I got a couple of Admiral 6s 5000mAh packs from MotionRC. Got them, and as usual hooked up my battery checker immediately to see what state they're in. They were at an OK storage charge, but one of them had the cell voltages far enough apart to set off the imbalance warning in the batt checker. I guess the warning is just some arbitrary figure the people who made that checker programmed in, but it was a bit disconcerting.

I figure I'll cycle the battery a couple of times before I risk trying it in my EF Phantom. So I balance charge it 1C on my Hitech X1-200. It finishes, I plug it into the batt checker and warning again. Here's the numbers I saw:

Cell 1 - 4.178 Cell 2 - 4.156
Cell 3 - 4.165 Cell 4 - 4.175
Cell 5 - 4.135 Cell 5 - 4.165

The other battery had voltages ranging from 4.175 to 4.205.

When I used the charger to return them to storage charge, that same batt still set off the imbalance warning. I failed to record mA in and out. Will try another cycle and remember to record them this time.

Am I being too anal about hundredths of a volt? Though some are closer to a tenth of a volt. These batteries were over $100 each, and being from MotionRC was expecting better. Will cycling them help any, or is it time to give MotionRC a call?