Which way do my blades need to spin!!?? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Which way do my blades need to spin!!??

Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Which way do my blades need to spin!!??

I was trying to figure out why my heli wants to keep flying backwards and to the left. I noticed that when I'm spinning the blades, that they spin with the wider edge of the blade leading instead of the thinner leading edge. My rotor blades do the same thing. Is this right, or do I need to rotate my blades? I thought the thin leading edge should be what cuts into the wind and not the thicker leading edge. My paddles on the fly bar are in the same orientation as well. I'm guessing I need to rotate all of them?

I tried switching two of the wires from the motor to the ESC, but found out that they don't work like planes. Also, when I tried switching two of the wires, my ESC or Gyro kept beeping. I'm guessing this is a way for my heli to tell me, "this isn't correct". Please help! Thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

the thicker part of the blade is leading the spin. like a plane, the leading edge is thicker, same concept on a heli.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
the thicker part of the blade is leading the spin. like a plane, the leading edge is thicker, same concept on a heli.
Yaniel...you are THE MAN!! Thanks so much bud!! I was so worried that I would have to rearrange everything. Especially seeing how i don't have a pitch gauge yet. I saw one at the LHS the other day and knew I needed it. But, by the time I finished all my shopping, I forgot to grab it. I went back yesterday and it was gone!

Anyway, thanks so much for your quick response! I'm trying to figure out why my heli wants to keep coming backwards when I lift her off. Now, I'm only getting her off the ground about 5-6 inches. If I get her higher, will that help?

Also, while I have the "throttle hold" on and I'm using the left stick to move the rotor blades in pitch, it stays in place even when the stick is returned to center. Is that supposed to be like that? I have full control of the rotor blades, but was wondering how that works. Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

on most radios, i cant speak for all since i'm not sure, when you have TH (throttle hold) on, you should have full control of the head of the heli, just the motor wont be working. when you're so close to the ground you're in ground effect which tosses the heli around from the turbulence created by the blade and the ground. lifting up higher might help, but make sure the swash plate is level before anything. is it going back quickly, or just falling back a little? might also be a CoG problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, the CG seems to be fine what holding her by the fly bar. I took the canopy off to look at the swashplate and it was leaning a little to the rear. I used the trim on the Tx to get her level. I haven't tried to put her up again since then. I might do that in a few minutes. Right now I'm flying her with the included Tx. Eventually I'll be using my DX7.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Well, the CG seems to be fine what holding her by the fly bar. I took the canopy off to look at the swashplate and it was leaning a little to the rear. I used the trim on the Tx to get her level. I haven't tried to put her up again since then. I might do that in a few minutes. Right now I'm flying her with the included Tx. Eventually I'll be using my DX7.
the trim will work for a quick fix, but fixing it mechanically will help much more in the long run. making sure everything is centered mechanically on a heli is much more important than on a plane. good luck mike!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Yaniel! I'll work on it and see if I can get her right. I just tried to fly her again with the adjustments and she seems to be doing a little better. I'm just so nervous about getting her up past the prop wash factor. I'm afraid of driving her into the ground. I'll try and fly her later at the park where I at least have a larger area and more grass.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yaniel...you are THE MAN!! Thanks so much bud!! I was so worried that I would have to rearrange everything. Especially seeing how i don't have a pitch gauge yet. I saw one at the LHS the other day and knew I needed it. But, by the time I finished all my shopping, I forgot to grab it. I went back yesterday and it was gone!

Anyway, thanks so much for your quick response! I'm trying to figure out why my heli wants to keep coming backwards when I lift her off. Now, I'm only getting her off the ground about 5-6 inches. If I get her higher, will that help?

Also, while I have the "throttle hold" on and I'm using the left stick to move the rotor blades in pitch, it stays in place even when the stick is returned to center. Is that supposed to be like that? I have full control of the rotor blades, but was wondering how that works. Thanks!

Mike
Hi Mike here is a free pitch gauge for you, just print it out and glue to some thin card board.

http://www.rcmaterial.com/pdfs/Mini%20Pitch%20Gauge.pdf

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=425245

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=425246
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The swash Plate should be level, and not lean in any direction with the radio and trim centered , adjust linkages to make the plate level, what Heli do you have Mike All helis will want to go left when taking off, shim the left side of the landing gear about 1/4" with some balsa or foam, just tape it on, also use a X training gear with the balls on it.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

some heli set up info.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

HELI SCHOOL

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks a million Chellie!! I have a GuLang 450S. It's pretty much the same thing as the T-Rex 450S, because it is compatible with all Align (T-Rex) parts. I don't have any micro Crystals to swap out in order to use my own radio. i tried a different Rx than the stock one, but the servos just go crazy and don't respond.

Thanks for the pitch gauge too! Is there a tool for checking the level of the swashplate, or do I just eyeball it? Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks a million Chellie!! I have a GuLang 450S. It's pretty much the same thing as the T-Rex 450S, because it is compatible with all Align (T-Rex) parts. I don't have any micro Crystals to swap out in order to use my own radio. i tried a different Rx than the stock one, but the servos just go crazy and don't respond.

Thanks for the pitch gauge too! Is there a tool for checking the level of the swashplate, or do I just eyeball it? Thanks.

Mike
Just eyeball the swash plate, that seems to work good for me, then adjust it if it wants to go in any direction that you dont want it to go in, by a 1/2 turn each time, ALSO, chech the tracking of the blades, add a piece of colored tape to one of the blades, white or red, seem to work good, then, spin the rotors up a little, hold the heli down with some weight, and check to see, if the blades are tracking even, from the side, wear some safety glasses to be on the safe side, adjust as needed, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

BTW Mike, I think you NEED to join us on this thread Its for your own GOOD

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22507
Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks again Chellie! BTW, I'm subscribed, lol.