Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Auto racing. Which series do you support?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Default Auto racing. Which series do you support?

Nigel and I have been discussing Formula One in another thread. Maybe an off topic Chit Chat thread on the subject of auto racing is warranted?
I support just about any form of racing that turns left AND right on a course. Sorry, but hours of oval racing just puts me to sleep. Yawn...... I'm also an NHRA fan and have been for 40+ years. Yep, straight line with 10,000+ horsepower is cool too.

I was a massive Al Unser jr. fan in Cart/IndyCar and a Michael Schumacher/Nico Rosberg fan in Formula One. I wish BTCC and Aussie SuperCars were better televised here in the USA. I'd be a rabid fan. Those guys are insanely competitive!

Joe
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I am and have been since the 1950's a motorsports fan of all kinds of motorsports. I do love auto motorsports, specifically NASCAR and Indy Car. NASCAR does turn left several times a year and I truly enjoy those races.

I also used to watch the unlimited Hydroplane races and the Reno air races when possible and love NHRA. I went to the drag races back in the late 50's and early 60's.

I race in sims on iRacing almost every night, after my wife goes to bed. I am able to race on tracks from all over the world against drivers from all over the world in real time. The tracks have been laser defined and the physics of the cars are very accurate. I have raced against Tony Stewart, Rubens Barrichello, Max Verstappen, William Byron and many others. Dale Earnhart, Jr. is a supporter of iRacing.

iRacing is not your old time poor quality racing games on consoles. It is on PC's and lately done a lot on VR. Check it out.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Missed your post. Sorry.

In my mind sports is anything with wheels. Couldn't care less about baseball, football, basketball and soccer. They have never interested me as sports.

In a few months the racing season will explode again. Can't wait. This year I'll be watching Formula E more closely as the close racing (minus the sound) puts Formula One to shame! I'll also be looking for more online feeds for Aussie and British sedan class racing. OMG those guys are beyond exciting on track! I'm a Fernando Alonso fan as well so I'll be watching any series he drives in for 2019.

My take on NASCAR: STOP with the 2-3 hour lead in to the race!!!!! Just tell me when the race actually starts! Cut the races to 2 hours tops! I'll then become a fan. The WWE/circus sideshow that they have turned NASCAR into just doesn't work at all for me. Stop all the multi hour blathering before the race and let me watch the guys racing on the track and I'll become a fan. As NASCAR on TV is now I only watch road course races. THEY are entertaining. The rest is a snoozefest.....

I'm a San Diego native. In the late 70's early 80's I went to many of the SoCal 1/4 mile tracks. Most no longer exist. I can't count the times I went to Orange County Raceway, Pomona and Fontana. I went to Orange County for EVERY ONE of the LAST 64 funny car meets before they closed! I still have ticket stubs from a few tracks. Gotta love being able to meet face to face with icons like Bob Glidden, Warren Johnson, Roy Hill, Don Prudhomme etc, etc. A buddy was a MAC tools distributor. We got to eat and stay in the Kenny Bernstein hospitality tent with him. I have no idea what happened to the items he autographed for us. My ex likely threw them away.....

I always wanted to race. In the mid 80's I tried KT100 cart racing. Spent a lot of time and money on a factory Yamaha kart. With a family and a mortgage I couldn't afford the mods needed to be even remotely competitive power wise. In my buddy's 125 shifter kart I could run competitive lap times but it was his kart. Not mine. I did enjoy being his crew chief though. We won several races. So much for my driving career.....

Joe
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I have always wanted to race, but never was on a track until at age 69 I drove the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience. My wife gave me the drive for Christmas and I drove on a 1/2 mile track in Pennsylvania when we went to visit our kids in West Virginia. I since have driven at multiple tracks including Texas Motor Speedway. Memphis is my favorite track. I also have driven the open wheel cars through RWRE at a track south of Fort Worth.

I was always asked how fast did I go and of course race cars don't have speedos, so I would give a guess. Finally I drove with Team Texas at TMS where the cars are rev limited to 150mph, so now I can say I have driven 150. It is no problem to drive 150 at TMS as I did it on my first lap at speed.

By the way, don't watch the mess before the race in NASCAR. I don't. I usually record the races, beginning with the start of the race and fast forward past the commercials when I get home after church. Works out really nice.

Anyway, it get to be a problem to go to the tracks and I had accomplished all I could driving with the "driving schools" and I heard about iRacing. I bought the wheel and pedals required, built my own computer and have not looked back. Every night I race in what ever car I wish on tracks with drivers from all over the world. Of course it is simulated but I promise you, my heart rate and adrenaline levels are equal to driving the real cars. The challenges are there. If you always wanted to be a driver, you should try it out. There is a cost involved but not as much as even a racing kart. Like dirt? you can race at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa or at any number of dirt tracks all over the us. Jumping cars in global rallycross. Try out the VW or the Ford.

I drove the sim Dallara IR18 in iRacing before it made its first race last season. Want to race IMSA or the 24 hours of Daytona? There will be a 24 Hours of Daytona this season where teams of drivers drive all 24 hours. Some iRacing friends of mine won that race last year. How about the 24 hours of LeMans. Drive that too.

Lets keep this thread going to see if anyone else joins in.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Always wanted to do the Bob Bondurante class but couldn't afford it.

I did make hundreds of 1/4 mile passes. First in my 1971 AMC Gremlin with a 232 6 cylinder and 3 speed at OCIR while stationed NAVY at MCAS El Toro for T-56 training on jet engine. If I remember right 18.49 seconds. Don't remember the MPH. Several years and MANY dollars later my 1972 Nova ran very low 11's at 119 MPH at Carlsbad Raceway on bias ply street tires. Would have easily been mid-high tens on slicks with the better traction at OCIR or Pomona. Carlsbad was local in later days but really sucked! They put more effort into motocross than drag racing in the later years before they closed. I remember back around 1971 watching cars like the MOB Fuel Altered, The Back Up pick up, Chuck Poole and the Chuck Wagon and the Hell on Wheels tank wheel stander at Carlsbad Raceway of all places! Such a short shutdown area there. Luckily the wheelstanders weren't super fast or they would have smacked the Armco at the end of the track. Many times my 4 wheel DRUM BRAKE Nova meant that I had to reverse from the Aramco so I could return to the pit area. The scariest track I ever ran on...

Joe
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Before I got bogged down with mortgages and wife ... I club raced a Ford Capri in UK ... 2.0ltr engine with 4 bell mouth Webers to 278 valves and high lift cams ... flowline exhaust. Was a combo of myself, Manx Racing Developments and Competition Spares. Unfortunately - I had a bustup with the girlfriend and I got caught DUi and my race licence was denied. Once married ... couldn't afford it anymore. Now I can - but at 63 !! past it. The car was the fastest shopping trolley in town !! It actually led to my next girlfriend who became my wife.

As a kid ... I raced a Class 1 restricted Aerokart - restricted because it has a 3 speed gearbox and clutch instead of the regular direct drive. Villiers 9E3 engine ... straight through exhaust ...

My oldest brother and his Girlfriend sitting in it at our house ...

Nigel
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Quite a change from your kart to the present day carts. Yours was simple, clean and easy to maintain. Now they have all sorts of bodywork and extraneous stuff.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Quite a change from your kart to the present day carts. Yours was simple, clean and easy to maintain. Now they have all sorts of bodywork and extraneous stuff.
Yep .... I did a bit of Karting in Estonia when I was there ... the karts had side impact boxes .... and guard plates between seat and engine ... and that was BEFORE the bodywork came in !!

I could not imagine HS&E ever accepting the old style like I raced ... on a straight and given so I could max ... she was rated at over 150mph. Never got close to that on track of course ... but being your a*** was only about 2" of the deck - it was thrill enough !!

I lent my kart out one time and guy came back with perfect burn marks on his left shoulder from the cylinder fins ... he reckoned he was so scared in it - he never noticed his shoulder touching the fins !

My worry was not accidents ... had a few of those pushed into the hay bales and drums ... my worry was that spark plug aimed at my head !! A thought that came back to me a few years later when the plug blew out of my GT175 Lambretta at a traffic light one day !!

I gave up karting when the Rotax engine and change of classes came in. I then relegated my kart to running in a friends field. Vespa scooter wheels were a perfect fit to get her higher of the ground for rough field work ... (I actually used those for test running as proper kart slicks were very expensive for me - my father was against me having it) ... and I kept the slicks for racing only.

Sold it to another guy later and although he promised to let me know what happened --- never heard anymore.

Great fun !!

Nigel
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I just watched the Formula E race from Marrakesh this morning. Much more exciting, closer racing than F1. All nose to tail racing that F1 can't do because of the ridiculous aerodynamics. The only thing keeping Formula E from having even more overtakes is the extremely tight street courses. Formula E will be on my must watch list for 2019. If F1 is still the same old boring 6 cars at the top and the perpetual freight train with no overtakes for 2019 they will lose me and I'm sure a lot of others as fans. I need to find more Aussie Super Car and BTCC sedan class racing too. THOSE guys are entertainment! Unfortunately very little televised in the USA.

Joe
Old 01-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I have no doubt that F1 will not be any different than the last few years. With big money you can afford to build the best cars and hire the best drivers. They could save millions by just giving the constructors championship to Mercedes and the drivers championship to Lewis right now. But I imagine they will race the whole season to arrive at that conclusion.

I like to watch HAAS to see how they improve over the year. They will probably never be a top tier team but perhaps they will be the little engine that could. Someday.

In NASCAR, I really would like to see JJ get number eight. He has been my guy since before he got to the bigtime. Perhaps a new sponsor and new crewchief will bring something. Usually that many changes results in bad results, but who knows. That is why they run the races.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Here is a link that might be a way to watch the Super Car races,

Aussie Super Cars
Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

By the way if you get involved in iRacing you can race in the Super Car series. Simulated of course. And no, I don't work for iRacing, I just really enjoy the racing.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think one of the reasons F1 lost its 'edge' was because of all the playing about with design rules. Who can forget when slicks were outlawed !

There was talk one year about possibly capping the total money a team can put into a car ... they did and do impose limits now - but there are so many tricks that get pulled to cover the 'extra' money - that they might as well just have a free for all again.

I still think the Points system is crazy ... once a driver gets a few wins under his belt - he's romping off in points ...

A sport I really enjoyed attending - was Bangar Racing - old cars prepped for racing on short courses in farm fields ... technically not allowed to bump each other - but in fact its all part of the game !

Nigel
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

That sounds like, if you will pardon the expression, "grass roots racing". Just go out to an agreeable farmers field, scrape out some sort of track and go to it. Next week, change the course. Heck, tomorrow, change the course. Run what you brung. Race the family hooptie, because it won't get bent, according to the rules.

Sounds like great fun.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I have no doubt that F1 will not be any different than the last few years. With big money you can afford to build the best cars and hire the best drivers. They could save millions by just giving the constructors championship to Mercedes and the drivers championship to Lewis right now. But I imagine they will race the whole season to arrive at that conclusion.

I like to watch HAAS to see how they improve over the year. They will probably never be a top tier team but perhaps they will be the little engine that could. Someday.

In NASCAR, I really would like to see JJ get number eight. He has been my guy since before he got to the bigtime. Perhaps a new sponsor and new crewchief will bring something. Usually that many changes results in bad results, but who knows. That is why they run the races.
I've also been a fan of Haas. If Grosjean and K Mag ever get more consistent they can easily be #4 team in the freight train. They should have grabbed Kimi when he became available! I'd like to see an American driver in the American team though. Santino Ferrucci got close but he torpedoed his racing career. I have to admit even though he's an American rooting for him would be like asking an Italian to root for an Italian driver named John Smith....

Joe
Old 01-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Or like rooting for an American named Mario Andretti. Been there, done that.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I think one of the reasons F1 lost its 'edge' was because of all the playing about with design rules.
Nigel
If F1 is supposed to be the "pinnacle" of auto racing for a driver then make it about the driver. NOT THE CAR! I think the cars should have more spec rules. Let us see just who is the better driver. Not just a "driver" in the best car. I would kill to see Verstappen and Hamilton head to head in identically prepared cars. Hamilton can drive, there is no question about that but I think Max would embarrass him head to head in identical cars.

Here's my 2019 F1 prediction: If Red Bull/Honda gain the power they hope for in 2019 then I see Max being WDC next year. Bottas steps up to #2 to save his career. If that happens Hamilton won't be able to mentally handle being beat twice to the WDC. He'll quit to work on his singing or clothing lines.

Joe

Old 01-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Or like rooting for an American named Mario Andretti. Been there, done that.
That's a one of a kind. Everybody loved Mario!

Joe

Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Speaking of Max, here he is in iRacing driving the new Dallara Formula 3 car at the new Charlotte Roval. New to iRacing. Max and Lando Norris are often on iRacing. The world record referred to in the post is an iRacing world record.

Max Verstappen driving the Dallara Formula 3 at the Charlotte Roval
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I am sure you remember Alex Zarnadi, who drove Formula 1 and Indy Car and lost both legs in a horrible crash in 2001. Alex is racing in the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona this year. That race requires driver changes, of course, and this link is to a video of Alex practicing for those changes as well a bit of a story about him.

Alex Zarnadi driver change practice at Daytona
Old 01-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Speaking of Max, here he is in iRacing driving the new Dallara Formula 3 car at the new Charlotte Roval. New to iRacing. Max and Lando Norris are often on iRacing. The world record referred to in the post is an iRacing world record.

Max Verstappen driving the Dallara Formula 3 at the Charlotte Roval
Yeah, I see Max is catching hell for a little road rage on iRacing. The dude really is a bit of a loose cannon but damn he's fun to watch! iRacing is a bit too pricey for me. I have GT5 and 6 for PS3 but haven't played it in a long while. Using the twiddly sticks to drive a car is an absolute joke. I have a Momo wheel/pedals setup from the PC but can't calibrate it to the PS 3. Full throttle all the time and no brakes. I won everything up to the Red Bull car with the twiddly sticks and lost interest a year or more ago. If I had one of those high dollar custom racing seat/controller packages it would be a different story. I'd be on there all the time. Maybe when I win the lottery....

Joe
Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I am sure you remember Alex Zarnadi, who drove Formula 1 and Indy Car and lost both legs in a horrible crash in 2001. Alex is racing in the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona this year. That race requires driver changes, of course, and this link is to a video of Alex practicing for those changes as well a bit of a story about him.

Alex Zarnadi driver change practice at Daytona
I watched that race. Horrific! What he has accomplished since then should be an inspiration to all drivers. An immensely likable personality with a drive to continue racing that few can match.

Joe
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

They tried identical cars in the GP Masters ... ended up with Mansell winning every race. Died a death because it created even worse procession round the track. It was nice to see old F1 tracks brought back to life for it though.

Nigel
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Yeah, I see Max is catching hell for a little road rage on iRacing. The dude really is a bit of a loose cannon but damn he's fun to watch! iRacing is a bit too pricey for me. I have GT5 and 6 for PS3 but haven't played it in a long while. Using the twiddly sticks to drive a car is an absolute joke. I have a Momo wheel/pedals setup from the PC but can't calibrate it to the PS 3. Full throttle all the time and no brakes. I won everything up to the Red Bull car with the twiddly sticks and lost interest a year or more ago. If I had one of those high dollar custom racing seat/controller packages it would be a different story. I'd be on there all the time. Maybe when I win the lottery....

Joe
You don't really need a high dollar wheel and pedal set to enjoy iRacing. I started and am still driving with a nice set that is above the lower level sets but many folks that are really fast use the lower level of sets. I used a computer table with my monitor and the wheel clamped to the table. I have since upgraded to triple monitors and am in the process of upgrading my wheel. But that is just an option. Shoot the pedal and wheel you have, if it works with a PC could get you racing with Max.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
They tried identical cars in the GP Masters ... ended up with Mansell winning every race. Died a death because it created even worse procession round the track. It was nice to see old F1 tracks brought back to life for it though.

Nigel
For the constructors, it is more about the car than the driver. They need someone competent to wheel their exotic creation around the track and keep it at or close to the front so their name is in front of the Formula 1 fans. Can you say Ferrari and Mercedes. Red Bull does not build street cars but they do sell tons of caffeine.

Quick Reply: Auto racing. Which series do you support?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13441 seconds with 14 queries