Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
jigeye

Friends: (0)
Default Looking for a gyro: Simple programming

Transmitter/Receiver/Plane:
JR XG11 Transmitter
Speclktrum AR 636 6 Ch Receiver with AS3X technology
Freewing Avanti S 80mm EDF Ultimate Sport Jet (Motion RC. Just purchased. Have not put together yet)
*I have flown the JR XG11 transmitter with the spektrum AR 636 on a E-Flite Slick 3D but I did not program the AS3X technology, hence, just a regular old reciever. The point being I know the XG11 transmitter will work with the Spektrum receiver.

So here goes.....
I have heard a lot of complaints about the complexity of programming the AS3X technology. Hull losses due to "trial and error" when programming it.
I am not interested in using the new jet as a "test bed" for such a complex programming feat. Too much risk.
I might take a stab at programming the AS3X technology on one of my park flyers (E-Flite Slick 3D/Battle Tested!)

What I am looking for.....
A stability GYRO to put in this jet to help with handling in winds/overall stability
1. Compatible with the setup listed above. Compatibility has always been a big question mark. Needs to work with XG11/Specktrum AR 636 receiver (AS3X technology is turned OFF/Not programmed).
2. Easy to program without major risk of hull loss.

What I "don't know"....
Never had a "gyro" so I am a newbie at this technology. I have heard it really helps though.

Suggestions?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

My first choice would be a Lemon RX unit. Very good receivers and simple gain controls on Rx.
They are like little volume controls.

Second choice is an Orange Rx, I have several of the stabilized units, I have never had a problem that I would blame on the Rx's. I have had these in planes breaking 100 MPH
They have the same type gain controls.

With your Tx you can control the overall gain while flying.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (13)

Another thumbs up for the Lemon unit. I've had one for at least a year and finally took it out to play with it a month or so ago. It just plain works. Nothing crazy like setting up a heli gyro or FBL unit. I can see having to make a few flights and adjusting gains to my liking but that's to be expected. I haven't flown it yet as it's planned to go in a scratch built twin that is getting close to completion. (that could mean another 5 years knowing me).

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

Without re-flashing - I would avoid the Orange units.

The Hobby Eagle A3 super II is about the easiest and best there is .. its not as expensive as some .. more than others. Take care to make sure its the Super II and not the L or III version.

I only use re-flashed Orange as a base unit but have to be careful not to alter the gain once set. The A3 on the other hand ... is a breeze and can do so much when called on and is my preferred.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (2)

As solentlife says, the Orange works very well after re-flashing the firmware. The A3 is my pick as well.
Like any gyro, there is a learning curve. You just need to read and re-read the instructions to familiarise yourself with whichever one you pick. If you expect it to be ultra simple, don't bother. There is a learning curve with all of them.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

I have successfully used several Orange stabilizers over the past 5 or more years.
Just how do you guys re-flash the firmware?

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have successfully used several Orange stabilizers over the past 5 or more years.
Easiest way is to search on YT ..... loads of vids on it ...

The out of box Orange was terrible for gain control ... that's what I found. Flashed - it then sorted the reversing and made gain more fine in its adjustment.

But the A3 Super II is really the bees knees in this ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
You need a flashtool that sits on the programmable chip, then using Lazy Zero Flashtool you select the new firmware and bingo.

All about it HERE

It makes it a great little gyro.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I altered the way I accessed the CHIP ....

Prising the case open as generally advised - I ruined 2 units - I 'nicked' an edge of the board and broke a tiny circuit. So easily done.

I then changed to cutting out a square of the case directly over the chip ... hot wire cuts the plastic or a very thin soldering iron. The square cut out then allows you to access that chip at any time without opening the case. I closed the hole with simple tape.

The Orange - I only use to assist with wind etc. - I do not use 3D or any other function. Its either OFF or NORMAL stabilised mode.
If I want a Stabiliser for 3D work - then its the A3 Super II ... which is field programmable with a small box.

I believe that the Open Source guys now have sorted a programmer setup for the Orange .. and better flash access .. but I have left mine as the press on flash system - devised 2 - 3 years back ..

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros