Motor Blistering hot!! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Motor Blistering hot!!

Old 12-24-2018, 01:55 AM
  #1  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default Motor Blistering hot!!

I run a 2212 10T 1400 Kvp motor on a scratch built jet. It came from Ebay with ESC and 10x4.5 prop. It is cold here (30 degrees) and when I land after running about 7 min at 3/4 throttle it is blistering hot?? My plane is about 24 oz...resembles F-22. Why is it so hot?? I can't even touch it.
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:29 AM
  #2  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,938
Default

My first guess would be to check what battery you are using or prop being to big for motor. Just my guess hopefully someone will chime in here soon.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:38 AM
  #3  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
My first guess would be to check what battery you are using or prop being to big for motor. Just my guess hopefully someone will chime in here soon.

I bought the esc-motor(1400 kvp)-prop as a package on ebay for around 12.00. Two props came with the package(10x4.5). I was thinking that the prop may have been too big but since they included it with the motor I figured they knew more about it than I did. It will literally burn your fingers if you touch it after a moderate flight in very cold weather? I wonder if other people have run a 10x4.5?
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 05:17 AM
  #4  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,938
Default

This one here?
https://components101.com/motors/2212-brushless-motor

Edit: from my quick research that prop should be fine. What ESC are you using, 30amp or better, and battery size. no bigger than 3S?

Last edited by Fishbonez; 12-24-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 05:28 AM
  #5  
gyrocptr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Neenah Wisconsin
Posts: 245
Default

What battery voltage are you using? LiPo? 2cell, 3cell?
gyrocptr is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:11 PM
  #6  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
This one here?
https://components101.com/motors/2212-brushless-motor

Edit: from my quick research that prop should be fine. What ESC are you using, 30amp or better, and battery size. no bigger than 3S?
It is a 30 amp that came with the Ebay comb. The battery is a 2200 Mah 50C. It is a 3S lipo EZ Flite Pro.
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:13 PM
  #7  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by gyrocptr View Post
What battery voltage are you using? LiPo? 2cell, 3cell?
Using a Lipo EZ Flite 3S 2200 mah??? The battery is fairly warm but not hot, the esc is slightly warm......the motor is almost on fire~~?
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:23 PM
  #8  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
My first guess would be to check what battery you are using or prop being to big for motor. Just my guess hopefully someone will chime in here soon.
I think you may be right. Even though they included 2 props that were 10x4.5......I assumed they felt these props were a good match for the motor? I am not running it flat out and it is cold here. I have never owned a 1400 kvp motor. All of mine have been 2200 kvp with a 6x4 prop. I bought this motor combo to fly a heavier (24-26 0z) scratch built jet having a little more torque. It does fly much slower and has more torque but this motor heat is brutal?
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:48 PM
  #9  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Originally Posted by trying2fly View Post
I run a 2212 10T 1400 Kvp motor on a scratch built jet. It came from Ebay with ESC and 10x4.5 prop. It is cold here (30 degrees) and when I land after running about 7 min at 3/4 throttle it is blistering hot?? My plane is about 24 oz...resembles F-22. Why is it so hot?? I can't even touch it.
Any chance to give us a link to the eBay page so we can look at the combo itself ?

A 2212 motor would normally equate to a 2836 in normal terms (I wish motor sellers would use same dimension systems) ... and at 1400Kv ... I would not expect to use more than an 8" prop on 3S or a 10" on 2S .........
If it is a can / length 2212 ... then a 10" prop is way over the mark !!

Once we see the actual eBay page - we can say more clearly ... as I am guessing they supplied as a 2S combo - not 3S.

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  #10  
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus
 
ron_van_sommeren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Nijmegen, Nederland
Posts: 1,142
Default

Battery RPM and current at wide open throttle?
Motor runs freely when you pull the shaft? (not counting the magnetic bumps due to magnetic reluctance).
ron_van_sommeren is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM
  #11  
crxmanpat
Community Moderator
 
crxmanpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,850
Default

Looks like it's this package:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A2212-1000K...BlUb:rk:1:pf:0

That looks to be a setup for a quad. I think a 10x4.5 prop is too big for this in a non-quad application. Better to use an APC 8x4E I think.
crxmanpat is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 05:20 PM
  #12  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Looks like it's this package:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A2212-1000K...BlUb:rk:1:pf:0

That looks to be a setup for a quad. I think a 10x4.5 prop is too big for this in a non-quad application. Better to use an APC 8x4E I think.
Thought he quoted 1400kv ??

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:08 PM
  #13  
crxmanpat
Community Moderator
 
crxmanpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,850
Default

Oops, copied the wrong ad. Should have been this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XXD-2212-14...y-D:rk:25:pf:0
crxmanpat is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 07:23 PM
  #14  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Seems i was not far of in original assessment ...

A2212 1400kv Motor Specification:
KV: 1400
Max Efficiency: 80%
Max Efficiency Current: 4-10A (>75%)
Current Capacity: 12A/ 60s
No Load Current: 0.5A
Number of Cells: 2-3 Li-Poly
Motor Size: 27.5x38mm/1.08''x1.5''
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm/0.12''

A 2838 motor with a low max current rating of 12A for 60secs ..... no wonder its red hot after a run with 10" prop and 3S !!

I would not consider more than an 8" on that motor ... probably a 7" ... its just not powerful or capable enough.

I do apologise to author of the thread who bought this ... but I do not understand why people buy such items when a quick skip through Hobby King ... Motion RC .... HeadsUp RC ... RCTimer etc. show much better motors ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 PM
  #15  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Oops, copied the wrong ad. Should have been this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XXD-2212-14...y-D:rk:25:pf:0
This is exactly the motor/combo I purchased. I thought it would work fine on my slightly larger jet. I was unaware that it would not pull the associated prop sent with it. I guess I should drop back to 8x4 as suggested by another respondent.??? I thought if the prop sent with the motor were sold as comb it would work anywhere. Now I guess I know the problem....I think?? I thank everyone who responded. This is a great forum.
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 PM
  #16  
crxmanpat
Community Moderator
 
crxmanpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,850
Default

Could be that this setup is intended for quad copters, so with 4 motors running to share the load they can run a bigger prop at less RPMs. Using this on a fixed wing, you definitely want to prop down.
crxmanpat is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 PM
  #17  
quorneng
Super Contributor
 
quorneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 1,890
Default

trying2fly
There is another aspect to consider in that running a brushless "too hot to touch" will not do it any good.
Even if the the temperature does not cause one or more magnets to become 'unstuck' the high temperatures also weakens the magnets strength. This has the effect of raising the motors Kv so with same battery and prop it will draw even more current and get even hotter.
It could of course be you have a faulty motor for which there is no remedy but to replace it.

We keep advising that the only safe way of determining what is going on is to use a Watt meter.
If much more than 12A is going through at full power the motor will indeed 'cook' over time.
quorneng is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 10:38 PM
  #18  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
trying2fly
There is another aspect to consider in that running a brushless "too hot to touch" will not do it any good.
Even if the the temperature does not cause one or more magnets to become 'unstuck' the high temperatures also weakens the magnets strength. This has the effect of raising the motors Kv so with same battery and prop it will draw even more current and get even hotter.
It could of course be you have a faulty motor for which there is no remedy but to replace it.

We keep advising that the only safe way of determining what is going on is to use a Watt meter.
If much more than 12A is going through at full power the motor will indeed 'cook' over time.
Thanx!!!
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:13 AM
  #19  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,519
Default

Maximum 7x6E, preferably 7x5E It is only a 2212 after all. I don't use bigger than a 7x6E on a 2812 1400.
Idiot on ebay that supplied that prop has no idea.
Panther is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:41 AM
  #20  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Maximum 7x6E, preferably 7x5E It is only a 2212 after all. I don't use bigger than a 7x6E on a 2812 1400.
Idiot on ebay that supplied that prop has no idea.
Its a 2838 actually because of the dimensions used to describe it ... but its a very low power motor .. certainly not suitable for a 10" prop ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 11:15 AM
  #21  
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus
 
ron_van_sommeren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Nijmegen, Nederland
Posts: 1,142
Default

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
... We keep advising that the only safe way of determining what is going on is to use a Watt meter. ...
Without a watt-meter you are in the dark. Until something starts to glow

close out sale Hyperion Emeter II, with optical and electrical tach, servo tester, local&remote logging - RCG

ron_van_sommeren is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 11:21 AM
  #22  
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus
 
ron_van_sommeren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Nijmegen, Nederland
Posts: 1,142
Default

Originally Posted by trying2fly View Post
... I was unaware that it would not pull the associated prop sent with it. ...
Motorcurrent is proportional to pitch¹, voltage², Kv³ and diameter⁴.
Power-drawn is proportional to pitch¹, voltage³, Kv³ and diameter⁴.

Without the exponentation
extra current with one or two cells added, simple table

So, changes in setup (and lousy Kv specifications!) can have surprisingly considerable/huge effects.
E.g. doubling voltage will four(2²)fold current, doubling Kv will eight(2³)fold current, and doubling prop diameter will sixteen(2⁴)fold current.
Even a small 15% change/difference in Kv will already lead to a 50% difference in current.
ron_van_sommeren is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 04:26 PM
  #23  
trying2fly
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Seems i was not far of in original assessment ...

A2212 1400kv Motor Specification:
KV: 1400
Max Efficiency: 80%
Max Efficiency Current: 4-10A (>75%)
Current Capacity: 12A/ 60s
No Load Current: 0.5A
Number of Cells: 2-3 Li-Poly
Motor Size: 27.5x38mm/1.08''x1.5''
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm/0.12''

A 2838 motor with a low max current rating of 12A for 60secs ..... no wonder its red hot after a run with 10" prop and 3S !!

I would not consider more than an 8" on that motor ... probably a 7" ... its just not powerful or capable enough.

I do apologise to author of the thread who bought this ... but I do not understand why people buy such items when a quick skip through Hobby King ... Motion RC .... HeadsUp RC ... RCTimer etc. show much better motors ...

Nigel
I can only speak for myself but the explanations for why people buy such items resides in lack of experience , little if any knowledge of the electrical properties of the motors, and the desire to acquire the components to fly with a minimal expenditure of money. A " quick skip" through Hobby stores is probably more beneficial to those having more education, experience, and funds to know what they are purchasing . I thank you for your comments and I am the one that should apologize for my irritating questions and poor purchases.
trying2fly is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 06:00 PM
  #24  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,394
Default

I am the one that should apologize for my irritating questions and poor purchases.
No way !! I do not expect nor do I consider any apology from you needed. Why ?

My comment about people buying such gear was NOT aimed at YOU ... it was a general comment about the gear that gets sold to the unknowing public.

irritating questions and poor purchases
Never ... only irritating if repeated after people give good info and person doesn't listen ! Which you definitely have taken in what was advised - so again - no way. You have nothing to apologise for.

I should apologise for not being clearer in my post and intent.

What we do know now - is that YOU are better informed ... will know where to come for help before spending out the hard earned cash.

As Ron and others suggest ... a Wattmeter is a great investment ... and they do not have to be high falluting expensive either.
Second a few pennies spent registering eCalc can provide a wealth of pre-setup info ... you can select all the motor / battery / ESC / prop combinations to see what will give run time, thrust, safe power level and temps on motors etc.

We ALL started knowing zero ... we have all gone through the heartache .. we are on your side ..

Nigel
solentlife is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Karnsy
Electric Ducted Fan Jets
6
05-21-2015 09:47 PM
mclarkson
General Electric Discussions
27
07-13-2012 08:08 PM
scoote621
Electric Ducted Fan Jets
4
09-04-2011 05:45 PM
Wrongway-Feldman
Foamies
30
08-27-2011 01:28 AM
Don Sims
Humor
3
08-25-2011 02:22 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Quick Reply: Motor Blistering hot!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15314 seconds with 13 queries