Drone found on Runway at NAS JRB Fort Worth - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Drone found on Runway at NAS JRB Fort Worth

Old 01-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Griff Murphey

Default Drone found on Runway at NAS JRB Fort Worth

According to our local paper a drone was found on the runway at our old Carswell AFB which is now a Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base. Seems it was found by the local USAFR F-16 guys. So they are hunting for the owner and an explanation. They said it was one that could have been bought at Wal Mart, which there is one right over there fence from the active runway. The article goes on to say a drone was spotted over Lockheed Martin last summer and of course these incidents are a "cause for concern!"
Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Stay Quiet

I certain they will be able to find the owner through the FAA number prominently displayed on the thing. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)
Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I certain they will be able to find the owner through the FAA number prominently displayed on the thing. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

Agreed, Walmart drone = mature, experienced modeler...
Old 01-26-2018, 06:40 PM
formontoya

But the cameras that seem to be hanging off just about anything will get 'em...
Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

More than likely a "want-to-be" testing it out and got lost.......or maybe a more sinister application to test detectability and range......lol

Regardless, surveillance along the perimeter of all military facilities has come a long way.........sound, sight and even vibration detection is very high-tech. No doubt something was observed.........good luck with tracking a Walmart purchase through any vehicle ID. If it was under 55lbs (which it appears to be) seldom, if ever, a toy gets registered. Especially a Walmart toy.......lol
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Porcia83

Although they do sell a number of lower level "toy" type of drones, they are selling this as well:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Phant...Drone/48748668
Old 02-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Although they do sell a number of lower level "toy" type of drones, they are selling this as well:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Phant...Drone/48748668
I would love to see some actual figures of number of drones sold, vs. number registered with the FAA.

The only way they are going to get compliance is to make it mandatory to show your FAA number when purchasing, and for the retailer to register the serial number of the drone to the FAA number at point of purchase. Of course, that's not going to work with those that build their own from components, but it's a start.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I would love to see some actual figures of number of drones sold, vs. number registered with the FAA.

The only way they are going to get compliance is to make it mandatory to show your FAA number when purchasing, and for the retailer to register the serial number of the drone to the FAA number at point of purchase.
Before it is all over that will probably be the case sadly enough... Our hobby has been labeled almost criminal because of drones.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

The more effective and efficient method would be for the manufacture/distributor chain to be required to register it's "qualified" products with the oversight division of the FAA........then make the retailer force the purchaser to sign-up for his "temporary" FAA number at the point of purchase. Afterwards, the purchaser is responsible for any follow-up with the FAA.

Ya, more paper and cost associated with the registration and more than likely the product. If they (the FAA) are serious about deterring the potential "criminal" aspect, hold both the retailer and manufacture/distributor, as well as the purchaser "accountable"......!

I'm certain that will go over real well with the AMA, retailers, FAA and just about anyone associated with hobby aerial RC..........

LOL....sounds like what California law will require in 2019 for the purchase of any firearm ammo within the State. Face to face purchases only, no internet sales without going through an FFL, is the law being enforced today. (it's being challenged in court as we speak).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

One problem I see, is that it is so easy to assemble a nice flying quad with no previous experience.

I bought 4 motors on eBay planing on building a B-17 they total out at over 1800 watts so I figured it would work for a nice sized plane.

Then I had an idea I cut two pieces on good plywood about 15" by 1 1/2" and a 3" square glued these together and used 4 wire type coat hangers for legs.
I said it flew, it wasn't pretty.

A KK 2.5.1 FC board and 4 Simon K ESC's + 1 of my Lipos

I just read what was on here about quads. It flew pretty fair so I bought a quad frame on sale for $5.00 and rebuilt it before anyone saw it, then a friend adjusted the board, but I am not good enough to see the difference.

The point I am trying to make, is that it is so easy to build a quad out of random parts, it will make total control of the things almost impossible.

The next change for mine is a new FC with most of the bells and whistles, like altitude hold, GPS, RTH and I believe programmed flight For about $60.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

But folks like you are not the problem, you get it and understand the issues.

It is the ones who go to Ollies, or other cheap outlets and buys a $50 drone and have it flying literally within the hour thinking it is cool to get vidoes of crowded stadiums, highways, airports, etc. that is giving our hobby the black eye.

These are the folks, who have no hobby interest at all, that will ruin our hobby for the rest of us.