Good first EDF park or club jet with a 75 EDF and a 1100mm wing span or smaller? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Good first EDF park or club jet with a 75 EDF and a 1100mm wing span or smaller?

Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM
pricelessppp

Default Good first EDF park or club jet with a 75 EDF and a 1100mm wing span or smaller?

I am thinking about EDF jets I am intermediate rc pilot and know my airplane orientation. And what is the best pre built affordable PNP/BNF EDF jet trainer?I do no not want a 100 mph speed machine.And here are the three I am thinking about.Are EDFs easy to repair and do they do good in a stabdured 10mp wind plus light gust?

HobbyKing™ Tornado 75 EDF Sports Jet 1100mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

UMX™ Habu S 180 DF BNF with SAFE® Technology
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...f-bnf-eflu4380

ST Model Salto Retractable EDF RR
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../snna1069.html
Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by pricelessppp View Post
I am thinking about EDF jets I am intermediate rc pilot and know my airplane orientation. And what is the best pre built affordable PNP/BNF EDF jet trainer?I do no not want a 100 mph speed machine.And here are the three I am thinking about.Are EDFs easy to repair and do they do good in a stabdured 10mp wind plus light gust?

HobbyKing™ Tornado 75 EDF Sports Jet 1100mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

UMX™ Habu S 180 DF BNF with SAFE® Technology
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...f-bnf-eflu4380

ST Model Salto Retractable EDF RR
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../snna1069.html

WOW.....from a good FPV plane, to easy scratch assembly quad, to an EDF........nothing like jumping into serious RC $$$, repair, learning curves and frustration......head first....regardless of experience, one is best served concentrating on one discipline at a time........the success and sustainability, one will experience, will have a much greater reward long term.......
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Honest answer ?

Hobby King T45 ..... OK its a 64mm - but its forgiving in factory form, but easily powered up to go fast if wanted.

Then of course there's the old standby F16 that brand name escapes me now ... but recc'd by so many. Edit : Phase 3 F16.

EDF's for some reason people think are harder to fly .... ?? Why ?

Only thing to remember is that they have no prop-wash and this means keep speed up in turns etc..... you learn to use throttle much more ....

Nigel
Old 09-15-2015, 10:34 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

pricelessppp
You third choice is not really an EDF. It is an EDF 'assisted' glider so it will behave like a glider and with limited power at that! In this case the EDF unit is used simply because it is easy to get it to fold away in the fuselage.
You have to decide what sort of plane you want.
Is it the characteristics of an EDF or the type of plane that most EDF are used in?
A pusher jet (fast with a small diameter prop) could be a good intermediate step.
You have to decide what sort of plane you want to fly?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well everyone will know my answer. The Stinger 64. Yep its 64mm but it can be flown on 3s or 4s and a lot success as I read a RCG. Just my .02
Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here's my Lanyu T45 on overpowered 4S system ....

Its slightly smaller model than the Hobby King T45 (which is the older SAPAC version) but flies at similar weight / power setup. Sadly Hobby King stopped the Lanyu kit ($29) when Lanyu handed kits over to VolanteRC.

But it gives you a good idea of potential ...

The same model is more than adequately powered on a straight 3S pack pf 2000mAh and 30C ... and is often flown by me on such at shows and meetings where slower speed / more spectator appeal needed.

Nigel
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Pusher prop was mentioned earlier ... here's my old 50mm T45 converted to prop ...

and then my 222kph Parkjet that STILL I am waiting for someone to beat !!

OK this run is slower .. but shows what a pusher can do ...

Nigel
Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Porcia83

All the other choices are great, can't lose with the Stinger in 3 or 4 s mode. If you consider smaller...go with this:

http://www.bananahobby.com/3-ch-blit...f-jet-arf.html

An excellent plane to get into EDF with. easy build, cheap to get batteries for, and comes with a 2 axis gyro. There are some differences in flying edf from glow/prop, but nothing drastically different. Hand tossing can be a bear sometimes, the gyro really smooths that out on this one. if you can wait, it goes on sale for 70 every now and then. Whatever you end up getting...spend the extra cash and get high C discharge batteries, it's well worth the money. 45-60 and up work great!

Good luck with your choice!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Not trying to be fancy or rude .... but in fact this thread is in the PUSHER PROP section and really ought to be in the EDF one ...

Just remarking ...

Nigel
Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Not trying to be fancy or rude .... but in fact this thread is in the PUSHER PROP section and really ought to be in the EDF one ...

Just remarking ...

Nigel
true true
Old 09-18-2015, 01:27 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I have several edf's ranging from the small 50mm to 80mm.

I agree with Fish that you can't go wrong with the Stinger 64. Another entry level edf would be the Phase 3 F-16. Hobby People puts these on sale occasionally. Just have to watch. Both are easy hand launchers.

For another easy flyer, check out the Dynam Turbojet. Seen this at our field. A Cessna Citation 2 replica. www.motionrc.com

-Hawk