mojo gone - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

mojo gone

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Default mojo gone

Ever lose your mojo?
Three planes up, three planes did a forcefull unplanned landing.
I seem to be all thumbs these days. Better to stick with my slow stick it seems.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Wrongway,

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt ! LOL I too have pulled the hat-trick. I just keep getting back on the horse.

One thing that helps me, especially after not flown for weeks, is to start the day with my "go-to" planes like the GP- Escapade or the PZ Sukhoi- 29. Planes I can practically fly with my eyes closed. Then, once I'm feeling fairly confident, I'll venture more into the unknown.

Sounds like your slow stick is your "go-to" plane.

Hang in there !

-Hawk
Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Just be glad you are not this guy. He lost $6,000 in this crash

the crash is at 0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuHOU0VnC8
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by theapplepi3.14 View Post
Just be glad you are not this guy. He lost $6,000 in this crash

the crash is at 0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuHOU0VnC8
Wow.
A little ca And epoxy and it'll be good to go. Lol
Mine weren't that bad. One broken motor mount on the seawind was the worst of it.
Im having second surgery on my shoulder tomorrow so I'll have a break from crashing for a couple of months.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I've posted videos of bad days !

We all have them.

Nigel
Old 03-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

It's things like this that make me miss my PZ Trojan.
I always started by putting a couple of batteries through that before flying something else for the day.
Like stretching before a race.
I should never have sold it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

I lost three planes in a week, two on one day last summer. Before that, I hadn't crashed a plane for a year and a half!

All planes have an expiration date; you just don't know when it is.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I'd have more, but I've only been flying for four years.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:52 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

If crashes are so common even in experts like you guys why are planes not designed to crash such as coming apart into 10 ultralight pieces in crashes? Also, how the hell has this guy not crashed this thing yet?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-TSNeTK-A
Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

If crashes are so common even in experts like you guys why are planes not designed to crash such as coming apart into 10 ultralight pieces in crashes? Also, how the hell has this guy not crashed this thing yet?!
The problem with a plane that would break apart like that would be maintaining structural integrity in flight.
The stresses on an airframe can be extreme and the more pieces you have the greater the chances of airframe failure.
There truly are only two kind of aircraft. Those that have crashed, and those that haven't crashed yet.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:13 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Maybe he has; that video's a year-and-a-half old.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

So you are saying that beast is going to crash one day?! oh god! When it does it is going to kill someone! It has the energy of a car traveling at 30mph! If it hit someone it could throw them to a speed of 23mph (but more likely it would cut them in half )! What about these? I cant see how they get funding if for such large aircraft if all they do is crash.http://sploid.gizmodo.com/these-awes...fly-1644851216
Old 03-21-2015, 02:23 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Not my Mojo (I don't have much of one to mention anyway ) My dilemma is I tend to wander in and out of the hobby, As if I suffer from some weird modeling bi-polar affliction.

Crashes aren't the cause either, I see a crash as just another excuse to get back into the shop.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:34 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

So you are saying that beast is going to crash one day?! oh god! When it does it is going to kill someone! It has the energy of a car traveling at 30mph! If it hit someone it could throw them to a speed of 23mph (but more likely it would cut them in half )! What about these? I cant see how they get funding if for such large aircraft if all they do is crash.http://sploid.gizmodo.com/these-awes...fly-1644851216
Here is that big pits crashing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kGCC5-9bdU
Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

That was a slow crash! I was surprised that anything broke at all. I am still scared of the 440mph rc plane losing control for the 8 seconds needed for it to travel 1 mile, have it hit someone, and kill them instantly and perhaps even start a fire. I don't understand how his reflexes and eyes are so good! The maiden must have been intense!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I've never dipped into my "mojo" bag for RC......reserved for my guitars and my lover.........in that order too.

To much "emotion" required for mojo......I've found keeping "emotion" out of the formula with RC keeps those "have crashed and those that will crash" in much better "ready to fly" condition (developed intuitive skills and craft forgivness) being first priority, and ........one of the main reasons I've given up CCP, panic and emotion could never be harnessed like planks and quads.........due to the fear of having to spend more than my budget would "emotionally" handle.......and look forward to.

It's all in the individuals physical, emotional, mental abilities and growth.....more often than not, emotions do more harm than good in RC.....
Old 03-21-2015, 02:50 PM
pcm10xmode

We all have "dumb thumbs" days. Be it a cheap foamy to an expensive large plane, it happens. Even the FAA has to deal with it, it is strictly called pilot error. If you focus on that, it will happen again. Learn from it and just move on like the rest of us.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:08 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

2 years ago in the spring i posted the exact same type thread you did. i lost 3 planes and finally discovered my hitec optic 6 tx with a cheap china module for 2.4 was defective after many years of good working order. i was so bummed out i thought it was all dumb thumbs till it became obvious through range testing there was sporadic loss of connection to the plane.

do a range test and make sure your tx to rx isn't glitching even a little....thats all it take to wreck a plane and make it feel like pure dumb thumb.

i got a new tx and had a super great year last year with the worst breaks being knocking off landing gears on rough landings. both those planes still need to be repaired.......lol
Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Tepid Pilot

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I've never dipped into my "mojo" bag for RC......reserved for my guitars and my lover.........in that order too.

To much "emotion" required for mojo......I've found keeping "emotion" out of the formula with RC keeps those "have crashed and those that will crash" in much better "ready to fly" condition (developed intuitive skills and craft forgivness) being first priority, and ........one of the main reasons I've given up CCP, panic and emotion could never be harnessed like planks and quads.........due to the fear of having to spend more than my budget would "emotionally" handle.......and look forward to.

It's all in the individuals physical, emotional, mental abilities and growth.....more often than not, emotions do more harm than good in RC.....
LOL! Even if you didn't list your location as Southern Cal I could guess it from your post. You sound like my cousin, who also lives there.

When my tests came back with slightly low mojo my physician simply upped my juju . . . problem solved.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
2 years ago in the spring i posted the exact same type thread you did. i lost 3 planes and finally discovered my hitec optic 6 tx with a cheap china module for 2.4 was defective after many years of good working order. i was so bummed out i thought it was all dumb thumbs till it became obvious through range testing there was sporadic loss of connection to the plane.

do a range test and make sure your tx to rx isn't glitching even a little....thats all it take to wreck a plane and make it feel like pure dumb thumb.

i got a new tx and had a super great year last year with the worst breaks being knocking off landing gears on rough landings. both those planes still need to be repaired.......lol

The Spektrum DX9 is not immune to problems. I have one but had a problem that ended up costing me at least 3 very good models. Turned out there was a loose connection inside. I could tap the front and make the lights go out- OFF ! Nada . Tap again and it would come on. Was blaming everything including the Bermuda Triangle, bad rx, an evil 2.4 jammer hiding in the woods, etc.

Goes to show there are gremlins in this hobby.

-Hawk
Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I always blame it on MOJO JO JO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	179907  
Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
It's things like this that make me miss my PZ Trojan.
I always started by putting a couple of batteries through that before flying something else for the day.
Like stretching before a race.
I should never have sold it.

Thats What I do, Get yourself another Rust Buster Plane and fly that first, throw it around to get your MoJo Back
Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Wrongway-Feldman Buy yourself another PZ Trojan, Tell your wife that Chellie said it was ok to buy it

https://vortexhobbies.com/park-zone-...FQiUaQodsw8AxA

Old 03-22-2015, 01:04 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Thumbs up

ouch!....$180 for a foam plane,i'd be flying it when i'm no longer rusty.

chellie is 100% right though about using another plane and not your remaing good planes to warm up the thumbs after a long cold winter.

truth is i always arrive at the field with at least 4 planes and a stack of batteries, and toss the superfly delta foamie in the air and get real with the sticks before sending balsa up.epp foam build confidence and a fast super agile delta can be easily risked to be a good first plane up any day of the week.

i can say with 100% confidence that the superbly has been the #1 reason i now fly the sticks with out much over thinking or getting into spins/flying inverted and not knowing the orientation corrections as second nature. now when flying balsa i just love experimenting on tossing them into radical rolls at the top end of a climb or figure 8s inverted. then i hear guys sitting in chairs behind me making comments like "your having to much fun"...,i now don't have to think of what stick inputs will straighten out my plane.

oh yeah,did i forget to say i fly at over 100 mistakes high and use binocular glasses...[jk]
Old 03-22-2015, 03:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

My 'first out of the van' model has been my Skyartec Cessna for nigh on 4 years ...

There is ALWAYS room in the car / van for that 'first fly' model.

Most of us are working people that cannot fly every day .. so fingers get 'rusty' ... needs that sturdy - first fly model.

Nigel

Quick Reply: mojo gone

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14955 seconds with 14 queries