what wouldnt you get again? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

what wouldnt you get again?

Old 05-13-2006, 07:18 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

Default what wouldnt you get again?

since we're collecting info on what people want....why not do the opposite eh?

please list items you've bought and used or know of that have turned out a disaster for whatever reason.

please refrain from speculation and accusation, as some products may clearly have been duds. Maybe by getting a number of people to post, we can get an idea of how many duds are going around.

I'll start:

Azarr antenna for 36mhz band. Now this may have very well been a dud as many others love them.

GWS 4 channel receiver for park fliers...dud?

JR 610M receiver. Seems to have been a dodgy batch or early design..many others had problems.

Hornet X3D. Good heli, but pricy parts, hard to make, impossible to disassemble.

TRex V1 and V2. plagued with issues for me..never once got one to balance properly and become virtually wobble free.

Alfa Model's Jet's aileron and elevator linkage system..if i could hate something more, i would.

there you go..as i said, this is to show your experiences and opinions will differ of course. let's not get too emotional about it.

Tim
Old 05-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I have 9 GWS 4 channel receivers in my fleet and never had a problem with any however I also have a GWS 6 channel thats a glitchomatic.
Only thing that comes to mind as a complete waste is the GWS A-10.
While it can fly its just soooo under powered as to be useless with all but brushless or pusher power. Don't get me wrong I like the plane but even the EDF-55s running full throttle gets it to climb like a slug. I know there are a few that work ok but most are not happy with it.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:13 AM
MRM1
Dont Think About It

Worst $13 dollars I ever spent was on the Tower Pro 50 amp Brushed ESC. May have been a dud, but mine would diminish power to the motor whenever one would move a controll surface. Hard to do 3D like that

A close second was the Electric Power 3s 2000 mAh Lipo. Battery was OK but wires were so thin you could bare them just by having rubbed them up against something or with a lite scratch of your finger nail. Had to tape them from the shrink to the connector to keep them from shorting.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:41 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

i must admit that my gws a10 was great on edf 55 with lipo...but any landing at all tended to break it apart....i.e. in half.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:51 AM
tim hooper
Single-task man

Hitec Feather rx. Rubbish.

Silver Litespan. I actually use this stuff quite often on light weight models, but it's always a real battle of wills. It won't go around compound curves, won't shrink and goes saggy in the sunshine.

Outrunners that shed magnets. Why can't the manufacturers machine mortices within the bells to physically restrain the magnets instead of just relying on glue alone?

I'm sure I'll think of others........

tim
Old 05-13-2006, 08:58 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tim hooper View Post
Hitec Feather rx. Rubbish.
i love hitec, but am with you on this one also...this thread is reminding me how much stuff ive bought over the years....
Old 05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
redgiki

Crap I've bought that I wished I hadn't:

GWS Naro 6-channel receivers. THREE of them! Two would never actually pass a range check. The third wouldn't let me get more than three feet away on the range check before it would glitch like crazy. One got thrown in the garbage in a fit of pique. One remains in a plane, and I'll probably re-use it in an indoor or very short-range plane. And the glitch-city one sits on my shelf. It's small, so I'm not sure I want to get rid of it. It's useful for bench-testing stuff from time to time.

My E-Flite P-47D. I love the airplane and fly it constantly, but it seems to get hangar rash from a breath.

My ParkZone J-3 Cub. This was the plane I learned on. At my altitude (5000'), it won't climb at all with the stock propeller! There were a lot of repairs made before I realized that was the problem. Of course, if you go to a bigger prop, you tend to burn out motors and have short flight times. No win there; they need to re-evaluate the power system and gearing on these birds to make sure they fly at a variety of elevations, not just sea level.

My rc-dymond.com 2100mAh 3S LiPos. They were "cheap", but with a 50% failure rate within the first fifty flights, suddenly they are a lot more expensive. They are no longer on my list of batteries I am interested in buying, even though they are really inexpensive.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

My first would also have to be GWS receivers. The antennaes are too short. Lost a couple planes with them. E-Flite Park370- Shaft broke after two flights and no crashes. Hitec Optic 6. Had it two months and the on-off switch started acting strange. When I turned off the radio, it would come back on and give a low battery warning. I have to cycle it 15-20 times to get it to stay off. Every now and then it just comes on by itself. I pick it up to go fly and the battery is almost drained.
I thought about sending it back, but the problem comes and goes. If I send it in, they may not be able to duplicate the problem.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs down

I'd avoid everything with the name Thunder Power on it if I had to do it over again. Wasting over $500 on rubbish is not my idea of a good investment.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:23 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Wasting my time on these

Since I was never charged for them and never received a replacement for the one I returned luckily all I ended up wasting was time. Although I was able to use the two RX crystals in GWS receivers so I guess I got something for my $12 total in shipping costs.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:33 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I'd avoid everything with the name Thunder Power on it if I had to do it over again. Wasting over $500 on rubbish is not my idea of a good investment.
Q, what batteries do you use now?

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 01:40 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Q, what batteries do you use now?

Steve
Anything but Thunder Powers. I have gone back to the brands I was using before I made the mistake of switching to Thunder Power.

BTW: Have you considered taking your Optic 6 TX to an exorcist? Sounds like it could be suffering from demonic possession.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 AM
bleary
Shed Malingerer

Forest cam,I second you on those recievers.On the ground it seemed ok,but at about 150 meters away my Stryker went to full throttle and full right elevon,with nothing I could do about it.Not a pretty result.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:45 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Hitec Laser 4

I know most of us are beyond that radio but if your new still and considering one don't.

I mean it's not a bad radio, and it has worked well... if you are only going to use one plane... ever...

To reverse the servos you have to take the battery cover off to move the switches and that gets to be a real pain every time you change planes.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Twmaster

E-flight Cessna 182. I'm sure I'll come up with something else once I stop twitching.....
Old 05-14-2006, 03:10 AM
thomdoe

I wouldn't fly anything over $25.00 !! If everybody did the same it would bring the cost of every plane DOWN !!!!!!!!! We all know what foam costs. We all know the planes are made in China. AND WE ALL KNOW $2.00 a day is GREAT in CHINA. It's our fault we PAY $99.99 for a $25.00 plane. This is why you find many going back to home built, which means many new designs, to be copyed in China. AGAIN THE DESIGNS IN THE U S A ARE BEST. Thanks Tim for letting me vent, Keith
Old 05-14-2006, 03:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
E-flight Cessna 182. I'm sure I'll come up with something else once I stop twitching.....
I agree Mike, Mine is flying decent now but if I had it to do all over I wouldn't buy another, nor will I recommend one to anyone!

"Stop twitching"... LOL
Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Tom Moody

I agree with Qban, I'll NEVER buy another ThunderPower LIPO again. I have several PolyQuest's that have a couple hundred cycles on them and they are all doing fine. I have some Etec's and some no-names that are also doing fine. But I have had about 12 TP's that have all swelled with less than 15 flights. All of them have been charged at .8c and all were set up to draw 7 to 8 c max. Average was much less as I size my systems to give me at least a 20 minute flight.

I have no use for GWS receivers or servo's.
Eflite S75 servo's also make it onto my list of junk.

Tom Moody

Tom Moody
Old 05-14-2006, 03:50 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Anything but Thunder Powers. I have gone back to the brands I was using before I made the mistake of switching to Thunder Power.

BTW: Have you considered taking your Optic 6 TX to an exorcist? Sounds like it could be suffering from demonic possession.
I guess I meant which battery brand do you prefer? I use TP's because I get them dirt cheap. Not because I think they are the best. Actually, I noticed two of my 3S2P packs dropped in performance quite fast.

Demonic possesion, I doubt that as my wife has never touched the radio.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 04:30 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I guess I meant which battery brand do you prefer? I use TP's because I get them dirt cheap. Not because I think they are the best. Actually, I noticed two of my 3S2P packs dropped in performance quite fast.

Demonic possesion, I doubt that as my wife has never touched the radio.

Steve
I fell for Thunder Power because they were smaller, lighter and claimed things that I found too late they could not deliver. Matter of fact most of mine gave up the ghost before they had 50 cycles on them. Then there are a couple of original blue stripe 2100s that are still working fine, so go figure that one out since all of them have been treated with the same care. Three packs out of 14 are still working, not a good return for my investment. Much worse was the treatment endured at the hands of their "customer service department" or whatever they may call it these days.

I have gone back to using FMA Li-Pos and one other nameless brand. The FMA's were featured in my Airfoilz YAK-54 build thread here. I will also state that the original FMA 1500s I bought in Summer/Fall of '04 are still working as good as the first day I used them. They have over 190 cycles on them (I keep a log of my flights) and though they may seem obsolete by today's standards (rated at 8C) they keep on performing. There is one fellow flyer who bought two of the famous FMA Pop Tart 2000 mil packs that had been sitting on a LHS shelf for over 2 1/2 years. Their voltage read out after sitting for so long was an astonishing 7.675V for a two cell pack.

The new FMA packs (15C) I have gotten through the LHS in the past trhee months are superb, and though I only have less than 10 cycles on those I suspect they are going to last just as long as the originals, especially since I am now charging them with their Cellpro 4S charger.

PS: I hope your better half doesn't get to read Watt Flyer, you may pay dearly for the TX comment!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I know most of us are beyond that radio but if your new still and considering one don't.

I mean it's not a bad radio, and it has worked well... if you are only going to use one plane... ever...

To reverse the servos you have to take the battery cover off to move the switches and that gets to be a real pain every time you change planes.
It gets better than that. You ought to see what happens when you accidently switch v-tail, instead of reversing ch1. REAL INTERESTING FLIGHT!

Originally Posted by thomdoe View Post
I wouldn't fly anything over $25.00 !! If everybody did the same it would bring the cost of every plane DOWN !!!!!!!!! We all know what foam costs. We all know the planes are made in China. AND WE ALL KNOW $2.00 a day is GREAT in CHINA. It's our fault we PAY $99.99 for a $25.00 plane. This is why you find many going back to home built, which means many new designs, to be copyed in China. AGAIN THE DESIGNS IN THE U S A ARE BEST. Thanks Tim for letting me vent, Keith
I couldn't agree more. The blowout sales at 1/4 the original listed price prove it quite well.

Originally Posted by watt_the?! View Post
i love hitec, but am with you on this one also...this thread is reminding me how much stuff ive bought over the years....
Usually good stuff, but I once had to solder the + batt wire to the battery terminal in the compartment, on a 2ch car unit. Brand new, solder on both the terminal and the wire, just not soldered together, and obviously no final test.

THE OVERWHELMING POINT HERE TO BE MADE IS THIS:
Most every hobby company/product has both lovers and haters. Its very confusing, "how do some have such good experiences with products that others have such horrible experiences with? The reason is this: There is virtually no QC standards, and testing standard, somtimes even no final test, in the hobby industry. There is no Consumer Reports magazine, or other non-biased consensus reviews of hobby products. It just not as well followed as something like the auto industry. They don't feel that a 5/100 reject ratio is that bad, since they can get away with it. In other industrys, you would be dead with those numbers.

Last edited by Bill G; 05-14-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:33 AM
redgiki

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
I just saw this one at my LHS. Is it really that bad? Can you point me to particular forums to be aware of the problem?

He has it pretty prominently displayed, and it looks nice. At least the box does
Old 05-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Twmaster

Yes. Ok, well the one I got was awful. There are a couple of threads including a review of sorts I did on the thing, here on WF regarding this turkey. I think I even posted some pics.

It's poorly assembled, cruddy hardware, and just miserable layout of the motor, ESC and battery. Mine and others also had damage to the upper surface of the wing due to poor packaging.

A completely under-whelming ARF. Perhaps better described as a BARF?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Ah yes, the E-Flite servos. I have 3 of them and wouldn't give those things away. I'm saving them for a really bad day so I can smash them repeatedly with a hammer!

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Joe Lang

Originally Posted by thomdoe View Post
In another thread I had mentioned that $70.00 would buy a lot of blue foam and was chided for comparing home-grown Blucor airplanes to high-priced manufactured foam airplanes. The boxes some of these foamies come in with all the advertisements on them are probably worth more than the contents. So, I won't be buying any over-priced foamies anymore that I can easily fashion in my basement for a fraction of the cost and that still look great and fly just as good.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15772 seconds with 12 queries