I feel Stupid - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I feel Stupid

Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Monterey10

Unhappy I feel Stupid

A beautiful PZ SE5a, took off, struggled with trim. Success, a moment of level, calm, steady flight, RIGHT INTO A BASEBALL BACKSTOP. SH*T. I must be the dumbest NOOB in the sport. Such a beautiful plane to smash up.

Sadness all around.

I have to recognize that I'm just not the great pilot that I see at most fields.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I would not feel stupid. We all been there in fact I am still there all you have to do is look at some of my early videos and adventures with my plane known as Flirting with Disaster and I guarantee you will feel like a genius in no time. My latest nemesis is my Dart I have only gotten to fly it once successfully the rest are crash after crash. I believe I have more time rebuilding that plane than I have flying period. I just look at it as part of the hobby and if you learned something and had a little fun at the same time it was successful day. Have fun and enjoy
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
helihead

I've been flying RC for nearly 30 years and I still smack em in. I just answered a post entitled "Vintage E-Power" About an old airplane that someone got second hand. I had the same airplane and flew it and crashed it on brushed Speed 500 with nicads probably before that guy was born. You'd think I would be one of those great pilots you see flying at the fields but not so much.

The more you fly the better you get. The better you get the less you crash but you will still crash. Sometimes it's the plane, sometimes the radio and sometimes you just do a boneheaded thing. I still get agravated when I smack in a new or nice model but the good days more than make up for it. Just keep flying and crashing and getting better. Pretty soon you will be answering questions about airplanes you crashed into backstops 20 years ago :-)
Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Monterey10 View Post
A beautiful PZ SE5a, took off, struggled with trim. Success, a moment of level, calm, steady flight, RIGHT INTO A BASEBALL BACKSTOP. SH*T. I must be the dumbest NOOB in the sport. Such a beautiful plane to smash up.

Sadness all around.

I have to recognize that I'm just not the great pilot that I see at most fields.
Yup, we've all done that at one time or another. It's an attack of "Stupid" I guess.

Back in the mid 1980's I took one of my 10 foot Viking Sailplanes to a campground. Had to show it off to some friends by giving it a handlaunch where there was plenty of room. Forgot to turn on the receiver, that model headed straight toward a big swingset, and wrapped a wing around it. (No one was anywhere near the swingset)

It busted the spar, lucky it was built with Titebond glue, so heating up the glue with a heat gun allowed fixing the spar. It was flown for many years after that.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

The better you get, the smaller target you can hit. I hit a 4x4 post in the middle of a 400' field.

Wait a minute ! It's not supposed to work like that, O well.

Hey we all have had crashes that we hope no one else saw. Just don't give and soon you won't hit things like that.

Wait a minute ! I hit a tree 2 days ago, must have been the tree's fault.

Last edited by Wildflyer; 12-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
The better you get, the smaller target you can hit. I hit a 4x4 post in the middle of a 400' field.

LOL
Now if you'd TRIED to hit that post, you'd have missed it by a few dozen feet!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Sadness all around.

Doing that will make for a better pilot we have all done that, and still do from time to time I was flying my Foam Maverik in the empty field across the street from me, there is only 1 Joshua tree in the whole Dang empty lot, I came down for a beautiful landing or so i thought, that Stupid Joshua tree Jumped right in front of my Plane, What could i do, i tried to avoid it but everytime i would bank, it would just jump right in the way again , well i hit the right wing, it broke the fuselage in Half, some 5 min epoxy and 10 min later, I was flying Again I love profile planes, they can take a lot of abuse and keep going Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Don't feel bad, it happens to most of us.

I use to rehab birds of prey and we used to get a lot of barn owls that would fly right into the side of cars and break their shoulders. So, I will tie this together....as RC pilots we tend to hyper focus on what we are doing to the exclusion of a lot of other things like big objects or well just about any fixed object.

The birds were so focused on their target (prey) they never saw a hint of the car they would hit at full speed. I have noticed a thing I call brain lock and it happens to all RC pilots but especially to the less experienced. It goes like this: You are so focused on maintaining level flight or controlling the airplane or dealing with a sudden problem (wind or whatever) that you miss seeing the object in your path. Or, you are so focused on the turn you are executing that you forget about the elevator input and throttle, well that never enters your mind.

It is just a problem of learning to be an effective multi-tasker. You have to have the basics of flight in memory and muscle memory to be able to catch the details. Thinking too much leads to issues. If you are too busy you will miss those details and possibly have an accident.

I flew right into a soccer goal upright once because I was fixated on the issues I was having with ground tracking of a tail dragger on takeoff. I lifted off and smack right into the steel upright. I felt pretty stupid that day.

The critical thing about crashes is to know what caused it so you can learn.

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Sadness all around.

Get yourself another Plane, That other plane is water under the bridge, and so it will be for now on, you have been Warned you Have entered the RC Twilight Zone, there is no turning back, you are stuck in another time and dimension, from this time on, you will get Younger and better looking LOL Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

A beautiful PZ SE5a, took off, struggled with trim. Success, a moment of level, calm, steady flight, RIGHT INTO A BASEBALL BACKSTOP.
Here is my maiden flight of my SE5a....spent weeks with my first build...took her out to the local ballfield...and the next thing I knew she nosedived into the ground! Maybe it was the same ballfield! Just went forward and bought a new plane... (I know how you feel...)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=A6tmjLH4sOo
Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Monterey10

Default I feel better

The left aileron servo was locked all the way down, which was the way the plane spiraled into the back stop. This is the second Eflite servo that's failed on my planes.

I know it worked before because I did a preflight that showed that I needed to reverse the servos in my DX6i .

I'll take some pictures and call Horizon later.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:33 PM
helihead

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
That's hilarious. And sooo true :-)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

The left aileron servo was locked all the way down, which was the way the plane spiraled into the back stop. This is the second Eflite servo that's failed on my planes.

I know it worked before because I did a preflight that showed that I needed to reverse the servos in my DX6i .

Great, at least you know why. I had a crash that was because of a product failure and Horizon was really great about making it right.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
helihead

One of my many dumb moments was putting cheap plastic gear servos in an F5B hotliner because:

"I was just going to ease it around the pattern to see how it felt".

"I won't do anything stupid noooo".

Somewhere during my second 150 MPH full power on split S dive, the right aileron servo let go and I ended up straining it through a barbed wire fence. A brand new $200+ dollar model shredded due to a $10 servo and a dumb decision.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Hey Monterey10, don't listen to these guys and gal above. It NEVER happens to any of us. They are just trying to make you feel better. Personally I fly flawlessly as you can see. Problem? Servos were never glued in! Beautiful climb... rolled over in the light of sun, looking good! Went into a dive.... never came out of it.... Loose servos were staying up at me at the crash site as if to say YOU are really stupid!! go here if you want to see the picture!

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...aptAmcrash.jpg

Jeff
Old 12-03-2011, 10:43 PM
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

Same thing happened on my Parkzone T-28 micro Trojan.
Ailerons were actually dead on arrival but after I checked the connectors, I got it working.
Everything seemed normal for pre-flight check but ailerons locked (full-throw) during flight, resulting in a crash.

Each time I repaired it, the same thing happened again.
Eventually, I sent it back to Horizon, who were able to reproduce the fault and replaced the aircraft with a new one, within about 10 days.
(This time, ailerons are fine but sometimes the throttle stops working - )

Happy they confirmed it was a genuine fault (with a quick turnaround) but disappointed they didnt refund my 10 postage costs.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Monterey10

Build Review Horizon

Because it worked before the crash, they say they wont cover it. You can see the servo cranked down. There was no saving this plane with one aileron cranked down.

The cabane mounts on the fuse are broken as are those in the top wing. I would have to create new mounts, of some kind of material.

Crashing this one stung. I like every aspect of this plane.

Last edited by Monterey10; 12-03-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 PM
earthsciteach

Are those pictures pre-crash or post-crash? If post-crash, that airplane looks pretty darn good!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Montery, You sure it was the servo? Reason I ask is I have the Hangar 9 Camel, it uses a similar connector rod between the top and bottom ailerons. On it if the throw is too much it causes the rod to flip on the control horns and lock them in the down position. And in that case the servo can't return em to level.
It looks like you have a lot of throw on your SE5.

It happens, it's part of the hobby. Heck I managed to hit a tent peg in a 3 soccer field complex. Easy 5 acres of flat clear land and I find somebody's forgotten item.
That's Murphy's Law.

Or how bout this one. I spent nearly a year building a P40 for a bud. Flew it, then detailed and weathered it. It was gorgeous, in a war worn look.

Met up with the owner, launched it, no trim needed. Flew it several circuits, then handed him the tx. He immediately made a quarter lap then put it into a corkscrew dive, wide open. All around were yelling "right stick!" yet he held in left.

All the way to the ground. Hit so hard, it buried the nose up to the canopy, in the Georgia soil, yet didn't even break the prop. Bout the only thing it didn't break, looked like a bomb went off when it hit.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Monterey10

Default New Plane

Yep, that's a new plane. It was up for 60 seconds. The front grill is smashed. The cabanes and mounts that attached to the fuse are all gone. You can't buy these.

The plane is very repairable, iF you know how to fix the Fuse and Wing Cabane mounts. I might have to build a frame made of balsa and glue it to the top of the Fuse. Then, screw the upper wing to my new frame.

Good tip on the throw. When I picked up the plane off the ground, the tie rod between top and bottom ailerons was off. The servo is cranked all the way down.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Know that there is a huge difference between feeling stupid and actually being stupid. Feeling stupid shows you to be a humble, respectful person. Sounds to me like you are a flyer!
Get back in the air fast, and Godspeed!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Sadness all around.

It's interesting how the wind, combined with things like an under par battery, and a slight veer tendency can ACCURATELY GUIDE A PLANE RIGHT INTO A SMALL OBJECT, even when you are doing everything you can to avoid it. We've all hit things, that we couldn't hit in a million years, if we tried intentionally to do it. There is a small bush in the otherwise open park field I fly at. My flying buddy and I have determined that unless we INTENTIONALLY TRY TO LAND 100+ YARDS AWAY FROM IT, we will end up landing directly into it.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

My experience with my depth perception is that the manufacturer should issue a recall. My depth perception ISN'T!

I've played with a lot outside with my Vapor, in close and flying between trees. If I hit one, I'll just bounce off and continue flying most of the time if I don't get entangled in branches, so there are no bad consequences here, just lots of chance for experimentation. I have half a dozen 15' or so scrub oaks growing in my front and side yard.

So I'll stand in the corner of the yard and try to thread my way in a meandering path through the trees, under the canopy so the branches don't snag me. It never lasts long before I'm off picking up my plane. I don't seem to get better with practice. I'm sure there's lots of variability with different models and versions of depth perception. Mine is v1.1. The manufacturer says it's out of warranty.

So I've come up with a rule for depth perception. When you see blue sky over the top of an obstacle and simultaneously under your plane, you will most likely miss the obstacle. Heck, with Depth Perception 1.1, that's about the best I can do!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Duplicate post. But perhaps to make you feel a bit better, here's a bit if MY brilliant flying. I was flying my Slow Stick in a nearby church recreation field. There is a fenced playground set off from the building. The plan (a plan is the first danger signal!) was to glide across the field, give power and climb over the fence and building. But my depth perception wasn't. I glided masterfully across the field, approached the fence and with superb timing dialed in power, eased back on the stick and......CRUNCH!!

I am a paid professional. Don't try this at home...

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

YOU feel stupid ??

I was at a major show in UK many years ago ... Sandown Park Racecourse. Each year we had a major show on the horse race course in front of the stands.

Friend of mine displaying his new model line ........... coming in for finals to land at the track finish line ................. SMACK - direct hit into the circle of the furlong marker !!

On to myself .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4Nt5csJqY

If like me - I weep every time I see what I did ! At time I put it down to confusion when inverted ......... but study of video and later recollection of my actions indicates elevator failure ....
That was only it's 5th flight with after building, a brand new motor - everything. Model is not available since 1990 ... so no replacement parts at all.

Join the club ... it happens to us all .............

Quick Reply: I feel Stupid

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15927 seconds with 12 queries