rctruth.com - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

rctruth.com

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 AM
spad

Default rctruth.com

You gotta see this one!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Looks like the first posts were yesterday. I already see bogus info posted there. Looks like another "Let's bash RCG/HK/BH/NP" trash talk forum.

How did you come across the site?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Weird how a google search brought this link up in WF??? Google really does know all.

But the good news is, nothing bad about WF on that site. Is there a two thumbs up icon?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
spad

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Weird how a google search brought this link up in WF??? Google really does know all.

But the good news is, nothing bad about WF on that site. Is there a two thumbs up icon?
Certainly there are some interesting posts, true, 1/2 true or false.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Yeah, so far nothing bad about WF. But I have spent some time there dispelling some false information that was posted.

And I don't know why this thread was in Humor, so I moved it to Off Topic.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by spad View Post
Certainly there are some interesting posts, true, 1/2 true or false.
Hard to tell if some of those posts are true or not, but they certainly do highlight some interesting things on a few RCG members.

Good to see there aren't any issues like that here.

Frank
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It's so sad.

What should be a great community of like minded people, degrades to a series of bickering cliques.

At a time of year where at least here in the USA we set aside to be thankful, share good will with others, and make resolutions on how to better ourselves, that this sort of stuff would be promoted and spread is a sad testament to the world we live in today.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
spad

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
It's so sad.

What should be a great community of like minded people, degrades to a series of bickering cliques.

At a time of year where at least here in the USA we set aside to be thankful, share good will with others, and make resolutions on how to better ourselves, that this sort of stuff would be promoted and spread is a sad testament to the world we live in today.
Hm, I think that is overgeneralizing just a bit.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

It's so sad.

It is sad. I think it's because some forums mix politics and religion which creates problems and angers people.

Another problem is that when a forum gets too big and too hard to manage, there are some people that actually seem to want to create problems with others and bait them into arguments or just flat out bully them.

RC is supposed to be a fun hobby. Problem is, the forums tend to become THE hobby rather than RC.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Yeah, so far nothing bad about WF. But I have spent some time there dispelling some false information that was posted.

And I don't know why this thread was in Humor, so I moved it to Off Topic.
And in my opinion, what keeps WF's members from becoming fodder for sites like that, and also keeps so many people from being banned is that the mods here actually post in threads and you know who they are. Users here can easily and readily contact a moderator to let them know a problem exists, or the mods see it themselves before the problem festers out of control.

For example, as soon as the mods see some bullying starting to occur, they step in and ask folks to settle down and it usually solves the problem.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Hm, I think that is overgeneralizing just a bit.
Please explain why you think so.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It is sad. I think it's because some forums mix politics and religion which creates problems and angers people.
I'd say the problem is the opposite. Because so much conversation is "banned" considered taboo, or too likely to hurt someone's feelings, we're not allowed to discuss it. We don't learn how to converse, debate, or argue without taking things personally, or how to quantify your position with facts instead of emotions. That being said, I have no problem with a forum, or organization establishing rules or boundaries for the use of their web site.

RC is supposed to be a fun hobby. Problem is, the forums tend to become THE hobby rather than RC.
Even at that, it shouldn't be a problem. I easily spend more time on forums than I do flying. I enjoy the people I speak with, and have learned to just not deal with the ones that are here merely to be abrasive.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I'd say the problem is the opposite. Because so much conversation is "banned" considered taboo, or too likely to hurt someone's feelings, we're not allowed to discuss it. We don't learn how to converse, debate, or argue without taking things personally, or how to quantify your position with facts instead of emotions. That being said, I have no problem with a forum, or organization establishing rules or boundaries for the use of their web site.

Interesting point of view. Let me think about that for a while and get back with you.

Frank
Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
spad

Please explain why you think so.
You appear to paint every member, there, with the SAME brush (character), which even includes a moderator, here: I don't think that is fair, accurate or reasonable, nor can such be inferred from any post, or all of them.

I mean, I think monkeys are unclean, but that doesn't apply to all species does it?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

You appear to paint every member, there, with the SAME brush (character), which even includes a moderator, here: I don't think that is fair, accurate or reasonable, nor can such be inferred from any post, or all of them.

I mean, I think monkeys are unclean, but that doesn't apply to all species does it?
I spent about 20 minutes on the site and about 80% of what I saw was what I personally would classify as hateful junk. Definitely enough to make me never want to return. YMMV, but that's how I roll. RC should be fun, not hateful.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM
spad

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I spent about 20 minutes on the site and about 80% of what I saw was what I personally would classify as hateful junk. Definitely enough to make me never want to return. YMMV, but that's how I roll. RC should be fun, not hateful.
So, you read every post and make those gross generalizations?

I don't think that's fair or right.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

So, you read every post and make those gross generalizations?

I don't think that's fair or right.
Ok. So I'm wrong. rctruth.com is a place where peace reigns and everything smells like fresh lilies. Whatever it is, I reserve the right stay away from there, which is exactly what I'm going to do. Have fun on rctruth.com!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I gave what you said some thought and I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are trying to say. I'm comparing WF and RCG to what is being said there and it is hard to make the connection. Can you explain some more?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
spad

Ok. So I'm wrong. rctruth.com is a place where peace reigns and everything smells like fresh lilies. Whatever it is, I reserve the right stay away from there, which is exactly what I'm going to do. Have fun on rctruth.com!
It's not fair to take my comments out of context or to impute a meaning to them I don't intend.

Sure, there are malcontents-is CRX man one of them?

Sure, it has "its" problems.

The U.S. Supreme Court has said it best for many, many years: class-based discrimination (here, read, "Lumping supposedly similar people into a class, like "RCTRuth," and the using that supposed simiilarity to 'discriminate' against any member of the class defined.") is irrational, at best, and at worst, well, plain bad. Reason and fairness require that anyone be viewed as an individual regarding their character, not measured by the "class" to which one arbitrarily assigns them.

I think CRXMAN takes a more sophisticated approach: he views each post SUBSTANTIVELY, for truth or falsity, understanding and weighing EACH post or poster based on the admitted prejudice of many for past, harsh treatment.

By your reasoning, all Jews, who express contempt or hatred for Nazis or Germans are to be avoided as wrong-headed.

Well, as a Jew (whose entire materal line went up in smoke from 39-45), I suppose I understand. (See how that false imputation thing works?)

RCTRUTH serves a SUBSTANTIVE purpose, if one is willing to put aside the NON-SUBSTANTIVE matter.

Last edited by spad; 12-14-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I totally agree. RC IS fun and forums should mirror that. I have met the most kind hearted and caring folks in this sport. The sad thing is, there are folks that visit these forums simply to bully others from what I see. The forums ARE their hobby, not RC. Until those other forums learn how to control the bullying and cyber-stalking, the "hate" will always be there.

WF seems to have that under control.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

By your reasoning, all Jews, who express contempt or hatred for Nazis or Germans are to be avoided as wrong-headed.
Look who's generalizing now!

The only slight difference here is that the extermination of millions of Jews during WWII is something that I find truly despicable and that truly upsets me. Hobby King's return policies may be a slight annoyance, but doesn't deserve nearly the same outrage. To say that it pales in comparison would be a gross understatement.

Anyway. I'm done with this discussion.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
spad

Look who's generalizing now!

The only slight difference here is that the extermination of millions of Jews during WWII is something that I find truly despicable and that truly upsets me. Hobby King's return policies may be a slight annoyance, but doesn't deserve nearly the same outrage. To say that it pales in comparison would be a gross understatement.

Anyway. I'm done with this discussion.
Generalizing? Apparently, to be very general, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE USE OF ("generalized") SOCRATIC IRONY TO MAKE A POINT. (Again, see how that false imputation of meaning works/stings?)

My point, again, is that lumping folks into classes, like "All Germans," is almost always going to be unfair, irrational and wrong-headed: I don't know how to be plainer, or less ambiguous.

So, for those who are "listening," read rctruth for whatever reason you want, and draw whatever conclusions you want, but I suggest the better approach is that of CRXMAN: read, cogitate, look at substance and put aside mere form (anger or whatever) and consider.

By my simple reading, HK is only a part of the overall focus, with much of it directed at RCG and its owners or moderations, n'est pas?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

OK gents, let's all take a deep breath and calm down.

I agree that there is a lot of "garbage" over there, and a lot of unnecessary badmouthing of members of other RC forums.

spad is correct. I look at all posts individually, and either provide the truth as I can confirm it, or my opinion on the subject matter. If I post an opinion, I make sure I state that it is an opinion and not verified fact. But some stuff posted over there is just outright false (the deals with EJF and XPS for example, I know both owners personally and verified my info before posting).

It's OK to disagree with other members here, but let's not sink to the level of arguing for the sake of arguing. We don't need personal battles here like at other places.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I gave what you said some thought and I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are trying to say. I'm comparing WF and RCG to what is being said there and it is hard to make the connection. Can you explain some more?

Thanks,

Frank
As Spad mentioned, I was generalizing. In this case I wasn't being specific to WF and RCG.

I think the art of debate is a dying one. We don't argue from a stable platform of facts, often we argue from emotion. A quick scan of any of the LTUP threads on RCG will show you people who repeat statements (often as their own) that they read or heard somewhere else, without doing any research to verify the the validity of the data.

The arguments are so emotionally based, that when someone brings an opposing viewpoint, even if it's valid one, feelings get hurt. All too often you see replies made in the heat of the moment, instead of digesting the information the opposing debater brought up, or even researching to verify that the person was speaking about something that had any validity.

Few people have the ability to enter into a conversation armed with the knowledge they need to sustain the point of view that they are trying to express. It's even worse when they don't have the facts to support a viewpoint they're trying to convince someone else of, who is equally emotionally tied to the view they hold.

A perfect example of this could be found by going into a 3D thread over on the "other" forum, and ask which is better, brand A, B, or C? Watch the fall out that occurs.

I think these are skills that come with practice. I feel there should be a class just on critical thinking and debate in schools. I encourage thoughtful, respectful, yet differing conversations on various topics. I'd suggest that by trying to police conversations by not allowing "sensitive" topics to be discussed at all doesn't help the problem (in the long run, it will work short term), but instead makes it worse. If the skills of respectful debate are not learned, and used, then we can't be surprised by the resulting petty arguments.

For another example, look at our presidential debates. Here are people that should be professionals at it. When was the last time one of them actually said, "here's my position, here is why I think it's the best, and here's the data that supports my opinions." Instead it breaks down to personal insults, finger pointing, and trying to show why the other candidates are worse, not why they are better.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Considering it was the Admin, that created a section that is, let me paste the exact title and author...

"RCgroups Choad Of The Week Poll
Started by Admin"

I had to look up what a Choad is. A word, that if I used, and my mother knew what it meant, would have had me with a bar of soap in my mouth.

From the forum titles, thread titles, and posts that I did read, it seemed to be a very angry forum.

Which is fine. We have a great country where we can do such things. Although some of it might border (or in some cases, dash across the Rio Grande) slander. I just expressed an opinion that the site seemed rather hateful.

There's no way to tell, unless you specify. You are stating an opinion, something I can't quantify without you supplying more data.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10448 seconds with 11 queries