Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today...

Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Default Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today...

Under power the entire time and this is NOT a sailplane! 1/2 throttle, shot a dozen touch-and-goes and one loop.

It's a Senior Telemaster running a Monster Power 60, a 60 amp Hobbywing ESC and a 6s, 5,000 Mah, 25C battery & a 15x8 "pattern" prop.

When I landed, the battery still had 37% of its power left and each of the 6 cells logged in at 3.79 volts.

I think this bird can safely do a 25 minute flight!

...The Bum
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aren't electrics great.

lookin foward to some flying picts.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aren't electrics great.

lookin foward to some flying picts.
The Gasser guys were sure surprised!

Pics next week.

...The Bum
Old 04-23-2011, 02:01 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

funny you say the gasser guys.....at the field today i hear a guy say"real men fly glow" then a whole lot of compliments on the hogs flight...lol....

i see gassers go up ,do a few min's and land. i know they could fly more,they just don't.

i go up and average 8min on the smaller birds using more throttle,10+mins on the uproar with time to spare. if i just putts the uproar around i'm sure i could get 15+.

20+ mins would where me down...lol... i sit in a chair looking up at the skimmer floating around with short bursts of power to attain altitude and float somemore so after 20 min's i'v pretty much got a tied neck,i love electrics
Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 AM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Yeah, I've got a StevensAero SQuiRT with a small low Kv brushless that I use for teaching beginners. I can put a 1750 mAh 2S lipo in it and, on a calm day, throttle back to ultra-economy cruise and get about 35 to 40 minutes without hitting LVC.

I LOVE to do that just after dawn on an overcast day when the air is hold-your-breath still. I'll practice circuits around the field less than 2 ft. off the grass just practicing REALLY CAREFULLY coordinated turns! When my hand is really steady I can drag a wheel through the top of the close-cropped grass and leave a streak in the dew without dumping the plane. And that sweat little brushless chugging along at low RPM doesn't disturb the morning stillness a bit!

I love this hobby!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 AM
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

congrats!

Some day when I grow up, I want to be able to fly that long. My longest flights are about 10 min now, and after that I shake like a dog passing peach pitts!

Possum
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

That is quite amazing flight times....

I am 37 and after 3 - 12minute average flights yesterday....I felt like I had just ate a huge thanksgiving meal at the in-laws, "tired and ready to go home"!!!!!!!
....and like possum said, "shakin like a ......

have a good one
cr
Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Long slow flights are very plessnt things and like any other aspect of flight it's a skill set that takes lots of practice to do well. In it's own way it's every bit as demanding as high speed runs.

Getting a half hour flight feels great. You get that same um rush when you break an hour. Not that it counts here but I've done a couple of lazy inland slope flights in excess of eight hours. It took a lot of practice and preperation.
RobII
Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I'm too old to go anything like 8 hours without several restroom breaks!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Dizzy5

wow, that's great!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
Long slow flights are very plessnt things and like any other aspect of flight it's a skill set that takes lots of practice to do well. In it's own way it's every bit as demanding as high speed runs.

Getting a half hour flight feels great. You get that same um rush when you break an hour. Not that it counts here but I've done a couple of lazy inland slope flights in excess of eight hours. It took a lot of practice and preperation.
RobII

8 hours.....Are you for real? That's almost unbelievable!! I would need a 6ft blond nurse, my Lazy-Boy recliner, a small Mexican restaurant, my ice chest and a catheter....lol

What kind of glider setup do you have? Wonder what the world record is?

have a good one
cr
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

crider,thats very funny,lazyboy and a cathater....ouch.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

You and me both, Possum. Although I would prefer the plane be a little higher than 2 feet AGL....

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Well since you asked. The sailplane was an Olly II, an eight foot span bent wing floater. I used oversize batteries in the plane and transmitter. All of the seriously long flights requred a nice lawn chair, big sun hat, a cooler full of drinks and some snacks, the later flights it helped to have an external rubber cathater (ooh, yucky.). The eight hour slope flight is a requirement to get your LSF level four tag so there's a fair number of folks who've done it.

With the big slow floater it's pretty easy if you know the slope and the plane. The Olly is easy enough to fly that you can kinda cheat and put it in a ridge thermal, set the trims and just circle and climb slowly. On those flights I've been know to set down the transmitter and roll a smoke or hit a bush and every so often fly with my feet... Yeah it's a very slow and easy to fly model.
RobII
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
Well since you asked. The sailplane was an Olly II, an eight foot span bent wing floater. I used oversize batteries in the plane and transmitter. All of the seriously long flights requred a nice lawn chair, big sun hat, a cooler full of drinks and some snacks, the later flights it helped to have an external rubber cathater (ooh, yucky.). The eight hour slope flight is a requirement to get your LSF level four tag so there's a fair number of folks who've done it.

With the big slow floater it's pretty easy if you know the slope and the plane. The Olly is easy enough to fly that you can kinda cheat and put it in a ridge thermal, set the trims and just circle and climb slowly. On those flights I've been know to set down the transmitter and roll a smoke or hit a bush and every so often fly with my feet... Yeah it's a very slow and easy to fly model.
RobII
That is absolutely incredible! Man now I am depressed...lol....i want a 96" er now!

have a good one

you should change ur name to the energizer elf....just kidding...lol

cr
Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Here's a pic of the 21 minute TeleMaster.

The tri-blade is gone. She was swinging a 15x8 on the 21 minute run.

I'm going for 25 minutes next.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post

Good looking plane, but I have a couple questions.....Most everyone talks about how inefficient 3blades are and why never to use them. I am hardly one to ask about the efficiency or either 2 or 3 blades, still learning, but how in the world did you run over 20 mins with a 3blade prop?

My 2nd plane has a 11x9x3 MAS prop with 11.1v 2200 battery and after a good 10min flight, cells have read as high as 3.61's across the board.

How close do you get to LVC? So theoretically I could maybe hit 15min, but never 20min. Also what prop are you using now to hit 25mins?

Sorry for all the ???'s, just kinda bewildered...lol....
I understand that everyone has a opinion about props, but this is pretty concrete evidence in this situation that 3 may be better than 2!!
or is that 15x8 a 2blade prop?

thanks
have a good one
cr
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Good looking plane, but I have a couple questions.....Most everyone talks about how inefficient 3blades are and why never to use them. I am hardly one to ask about the efficiency or either 2 or 3 blades, still learning, but how in the world did you run over 20 mins with a 3blade prop?

...The 21 minute run was done on a 15X8 "pattern" prop.

My 2nd plane has a 11x9x3 MAS prop with 11.1v 2200 battery and after a good 10min flight, cells have read as high as 3.61's across the board.

How close do you get to LVC? So theoretically I could maybe hit 15min, but never 20min. Also what prop are you using now to hit 25mins?

....Didn't get close at all. After the flight all cells were reading 3.79 volts. At that rate she's burning 147mAh per minute so if I fly 25 minutes it will use 3,675 mAh out of 5,000 leaving me 26.5% of the battery left. That ought to be about 3.6 volts per cell. Still a long way from the LVC shut-off.
Sorry for all the ???'s, just kinda bewildered...lol....
I understand that everyone has a opinion about props, but this is pretty concrete evidence in this situation that 3 may be better than 2!!
or is that 15x8 a 2blade prop?

thanks
have a good one
cr
...The Bum
Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Took my Sky Walker out the other morning without the FPV gear. Wanted to test it out as I installed a new 60 amp ESC. About a minute after launch I hit an elevator thermal. 40 minutes on a 2200 pack and only used half. Had to land as my neck got sore from watching it circle in the thermal up to around 400'. Had to put it in a spiral to get it back down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghettopark3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	147398  
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post

Something about that photo make what is a very large bird look so much smaller than I know it really is! But I agree, you have a beautiful looking plane there.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

10 minutes is about all i need. land, take a little break, swap batteries, then up again.

in defense of the 'glow guys'...just as you added a large battery, they can add a large fuel tank. my 4 stroke glow engines seem to just sip on the fuel. especially when putting around.

8 hours? sounds like an iron-thumb competition.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Something about that photo make what is a very large bird look so much smaller than I know it really is! But I agree, you have a beautiful looking plane there.
Thanks. I think her "lithe lines" make her so pretty. Also, the floats are 36" long, making her look a bit smaller than she really is.

...The Bum

Here's a pic that gives you a better idea that the wings are 8 feet across!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM
road king 97
old hat

Hey bum are you still sure you want to use this great bird to train newbes with. Its been flying so well you may have to build another one. joe
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
It's hard to do much better than a Telemaster for a big slow flyer. With the right drive and a biggish battery you'd think it could fly forever. The only thing I font care for is the hold over from free flight lifting stanilizor. It's not a bad thing per se. But for me it makes the model too floaty but if you're doing all up last downs or big lift payload games it's very hard to beat. Damned thing thermals almost as well as my Olly II.
Gotta love a flying overcast...
RobII
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Hey bum are you still sure you want to use this great bird to train newbes with. Its been flying so well you may have to build another one. joe
Building another sure is possible. In my Club we have all four sizes of this bird; Small, Classic, Senior and Giant (a 12 footer).

They are a relaxing flyer and I love her for that.

...The Bum

Quick Reply: Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15374 seconds with 14 queries