Learning to fly the Stryker F27 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Learning to fly the Stryker F27

Old 08-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Smile Learning to fly the Stryker F27

I am trying to learn to fly the Stryker and i thought it would be a good thread to start for advice on learning the Stryker.
So all you F27 pilots who remember what you went through to learn the Stryker can give me some advice. So far i have tore the motor off 2 times and repaired it. It is a stock motor but i bought the fuse and finns etc. and put it together. The 2 flights went up and rolled over left and crashed. This plane may be too fast for me.
Crashalott
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

What you are experiencing is a stall and torque roll. Due to poor launch technique.
You want to give the Stryker a good hard throw, pretty much level,and follow through with your toss.
Try this. Adjust the trim controls to give you a little up and right elevon.
Both will be slightly up and right one will be a little more so then the left one.
Wide open throttle. Aim at a spot about 100 yards out, and throw it like a javelin.
The trim adjustment will add lift and counter act the torque condition.
Let her get up some speed and altitude, then retrim her back for level flight.
Something else, I should have put in earlier. Make sure the elevons are both dead level to the wings, and the center of gravity is dead on. Also make sure battery is fully charged. Any of these being out of wack will cause similar reactions.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well thanks for the info Glacier Girl. I will be sure to check on those things the next time out. Also i have heard that you can fly the stryker slow, but from what has happened to me so far it seems awfully fast. I didn't have time to think and it was into the ground nose first.
Crashalott
Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Matt

The Stryker will fly slow with her nose up in the air, but while you are learning you want to keep the speed up. Although a beginners instinct is to get their plane as far away from the ground as soon as possible, don't try to climb too much too soon. Follow Glacier Girls advice and try gaining some speed before you climb too much. She will roll very quickly. Go easy on the sticks.

I strongly suggest going to a club or finding a place where others fly RC so you can ask a more experienced flyer to trim out the plane and make sure she is air worthy. This is especially true if this is your first plane.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey there Matt!
Thanks for the advice on the Stryker.
I flew her this mourning and she went right up and i flew her for around 15 min.
I just flew in large circles mainly to the left but i did have to do a fig. 8 and one roll and one loop.Ha I would say the maiden was a success and quite a thrill because this is my first aileron plane. I will have to do some painting on her because she is all white and easy to lose orientation when up high.
Crashalott
Old 08-25-2005, 06:09 PM
luke16

i wouldnt reccomend you put the throttle on before you throw as glaciergirl sudjested(an otherwise fantasticly informative post by the way!),that spinning prop will have a finger or two,put on throttle the second it leaves your hand.

also,always remember to arm the throttle if your using the stock parkzone gear,if you dont theyll be a delay when you put the throttle on and the plane will nose dive.

the stryker is a fantastic plane and i fly mine 3 times a day!it never gets boring doing fast low passes!

luke
Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey Luke,
Thanks for the advice on the fingers.
Crashalott
Old 09-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Duster52

Originally Posted by luke16
i wouldnt reccomend you put the throttle on before you throw as glaciergirl sudjested(an otherwise fantasticly informative post by the way!),that spinning prop will have a finger or two,put on throttle the second it leaves your hand.

also,always remember to arm the throttle if your using the stock parkzone gear,if you dont theyll be a delay when you put the throttle on and the plane will nose dive.

the stryker is a fantastic plane and i fly mine 3 times a day!it never gets boring doing fast low passes!

luke
I would have to agree with Glacier Girl. If you don't you may not get enough speed before hitting the ground. That has been my experience.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

reflex has a stryker model now also...
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

I just wanted to chime in how much I love this plane. Yesterday I was out flying and got a couple kids and their parents to come over to watch. Now, I am a rookie at flying so I cant do much thats fancy. Most of the time I am just trying to keep it in the air! Anyway, since I had an audience I was a little braver. I did a couple loops, tried my first roll (it was Ugly! but made it around), and was in the process of doing a nice low sweeping pass. Well, my high speed dive was a little too low to pull out of and I nosed in at full throttle at about a 45 deg angle. Snapped the fuse in half right where the battery compartment starts. Nose cone, battery, and all hatches ejected of course. My modified motor mount area held strong though! Here is the best part - took it home, got the glues out, extreme tape and toothpicks and she looks ready to go again! Everything matched up well so the glue held strong with hardly any gaps. Reinforced the area with the tape and I am ready to go back out today!

Considering these fuses are only $20, I think its a heck of a lot of fun. Especially when you can pound the crap out of it and some tape and glue is all thats normally needed to get back airborne.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:38 PM
inconel710

As an aside, I found an FMS model of the Stryker for those wanting to try it before they buy it.

Goto:
http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/i...d16a5bc24e7a2c

and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Tons of FMS models on this site BTW.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 AM
jerryb

Default just starting

Just starting out in e planes...got a plane..putting it together and will get motor, esc,battery and prop as recommended by mfgr....what I don't get yet is what kind of connectors all this needs....already got the motor (brushless)..has 3 wires but no connectors...if I get a new rec'r, it will have a connector...when I get a battery, it probably won't have a connector..I have some inkling of glow setups(connectors) but how do I learn the proper names for these connectors so I can buy them? ....also do all systems have a switch?.....also what is a BEC? battery elliminating circuit? could someone explain? thanks for your patience in advance!!!!

Last edited by jerryb; 11-22-2005 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added words
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Duster52

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=V788640 You can find the connectors for your motor here and other sites. The above link is Balsa Products. They have most of what you would need, if you don't have a site you use already.

You will need an ESC, electric speed control, which have three wires that connect to your motor using the connectors above, or you can hard wire them if you choose. The BEC is part of the ESC, unless you need extra servos. In that case you can add a BEC for more current than the ESC will supply. Most don't need the extra. Again, the BEC is part of the ESC and you only need a separate one if you need a lot of servos or other power using items.

Your battery connectors can be what ever you choose. My favorite is the Ultra Deans connectors. Here is a link for some. http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U180617 There are other types. Any will work as long as they hold good and can handle the current you need.

The ESC will have a three wire connector that plugs into the receiver at the throttle channel.

Most of these do NOT have a switch. I like the switch when I have one. There are those who argue against them because it can cause you to leave your system on and ruin your batteries or cause the motor to start when you don't want it to. Even the ones with a switch do not shut off all power. Your battery will still eventually run down. That is a "no no" if you use LiPo batteries, for it will destroy them. It's best to just unplug the battery when not in use.

Good luck, ask anything else you can think of. You should get help from someone, if I can't help.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:51 PM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

1st, the stryker isn't what I'd call a beginner's plane. Delta wings need some speed to keep aloft and when making turns, you need to keep a bit of up elevator because the the plane will lose altitude in turns.
2nd, the notion of launching the plane with power off to keep your fingers intact is nonsense. I've been flying wings and other pusher type motors for 5 years and have never been caught by the prop. Even with props that are 11 inches in diameter. I hand launch every one of my electrics whether pusher or tractor type on full throttle except my brushless powered ones, they only need 1/2 throttle to launch.
3rd, if using nimh batteries, fly the pack right off the charger. If you charge batteries and attempt to fly them the next day, you lose a bit of power.
4th, hand launch your planes with the plane's wing above your head, arm extended away from your body's side. Do not launch your plane at an up angle because most likely, it will stall and crash 10 feet in front of you. A strong level throw into wind is what is needed.
The stryker is a fun plane. Once you get a few flights under your belt, you'll say, "hay, that wasn't that hard"! Just remember to keep the radio on low rates til you get used to it and don't over stick.

Dave...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 AM
DIALED/CHUCK
Let's Get To Work...

Just fly it...

Keep the rates on low to start, let her grab some wind, throttle back if you're in trouble...

...enjoy the 'butterflies' while they last...you'll know what to do.

--C
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 AM
radralph
My first Build

I learned on a stryker and i believe it is a good trainer. Easy to work on and repair. flys pretty easily. I launched full throttle and pulled back for a moderate climb to get some altitude (my friend and yours). You will crash. just try to crash a little softer each time

Have fun!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default New Lingo?

Hello Jerryb, Welcome to Wattflyer! The electric "Lingo" can be baffling, even with a modelling backround. You've already gotten some good advice here, I'll just add a bit. There's a similar thread from last month with a link to a glossary and I posted a brief explanation of ESC's and BEC.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9335
As far as connectors go I'll second the recommendation for Deans Ultra. They are stiff (pulling apart) at first but loosen up after a few cycles. These are for the battery-to-ESC connection. Brushless motors require a 3-wire connection, most flyers use the "bullet" pins, they come in a few different diameters. Some B/L motors have the male connectors already attached and supply matching females for your ESC. The connector from ESC-to-receiver is a standard 3-wire, like a servo connector.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck,
Ron

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 09-05-2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add link
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
rahtware
No more oily right shoes!

Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit View Post
1st, the stryker isn't what I'd call a beginner's plane. Delta wings need some speed to keep aloft and when making turns, you need to keep a bit of up elevator because the the plane will lose altitude in turns.

Dave...
Dave

Most planes need a little elevator to keep the nose up in a turn, and due to the Delta configuration, the Stryker can fly and land slower than other planes with its wing-span and weight.

It is because of its high speed, maneuverability and slow landing speed that I bought one... And, as soon as two of my flying buddies saw mine fly (and land) they each bought one.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Cougar

Larry check it out, my first video. Takes a minute to see the plane but tell me what you think!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Stryker-Video
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
rahtware
No more oily right shoes!

Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Larry check it out, my first video. Takes a minute to see the plane but tell me what you think!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Stryker-Video
I would say that is a HOT Stryker!

What's the setup??
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Cougar

It is a E-Flite six series 2700kv Brushless Motor - Phoenix 45amp ESC - 5.5 x 4.5 APC Prop - Poly RC 2500mah 20-30C - HS81MG Servos - A little too hot to run WOT for a long time, but fun to fly.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM
RCFlyer44

Default Still a good thread

I just flown my first Stryker flight today and did pretty good. Came on to read this forum after it showed up doing a Google search of "how to fly the stryker". GlacierGirls advice is pretty much right on. I do have to say this plane gets away from you quick enough to where it is easy to loose orientation as well and the color scheme is not great for that either.

I wasn't tied to a buddy box but I knew enough to have an experienced Stryker pilot standing next to me and he did have to bail me out once when I got into a turn and it went nose down into a spin and almost into the trees. I handed him the box (while shouting "here take it!") and he did an awesome recovery!

I had to do my first landing a bit downwind because of some heli pilots on one side of the field and that made for an interesting landing. I think I will really like this plane but for now it is pure adrenaline rush trying to fly it.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
RCFlyer44

Just an update and hopefully helpful info for anyone else flying a new Stryker. I flew mine two more times this past weekend and didn't need any bailouts this time, but I have been flying it very conservatively. Hand launch at full throttle, straight out with a very slight aim upwards and no problems at all, got a little altitude and then flew basically a rectangular pattern in both directions at 50% throttle or less, keeping it in fairly close so as to not loose orientation. I will have to get more comfortable before flying at full throttle and get better at these turns that quickly loose altitude, and it gets a little squirelly on me at higher speeds. Landings were perfect. Being my first plane without gear I was wondering about damage the underside but not a scratch so far. Most of the guys at the field said they threw away the little skid that comes with it but some wish they still had it on because it does keep the nose from getting more scratched up during landings.

After I was done on Sunday night there were several strykers and flying wings in the air doing combat, literally trying to take each other out of the air. One guy has modified his Stryker to have working rudders and a canard just behind where the nose connects, pretty maneuverable! During one contact a nose was completely cut off of a stryker just in front of the battery housing, by a flying wing and he just kept flying. Amazing what these things can take.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
RCFlyer44

Angry Stryker Failure and Crash Yesterday

I have flown my Stryker probably at least 70 times since last summer when I purchased it and became fairly proficient with it, but yesterday something happened that I felt I should warn others about. Coming around from fairly high up I put the Stryker into a shallow dive to do a low flyby across the runway and after a few seconds into the dive something went horribly wrong.

I hear a noise then saw what appeared to be a full canopy ejection by the Pilot (which included batter cover, battery (but still attached by wires) vent cover, and back cover in which the battery came out the hatch pieces hit the motor which caused it to break from the mount, broke the prop. I never found the hatch pieces but from the wreckage our theory is that the first hatch (the one that has the air scoop) must have come off in the probably 80mph dive and like dominos it ripped the battery hatch and back vent cover away as well causing the catastrophic failure.

I had put a couple small drops of foam safe CA around the front hatch cover but recommend now even if it does come preinstalled using some epoxy and package tape on the front cover and using some epoxy for the back cover spikes into the foam (again I had used CA there).

This plane has been through very tight turns, loops, high speed rolls and never a problem and this was a very controlled shallow dive, nothing out of the ordinary, a little windy out, but no erratic movements. Guessing the hatch just caught the air right.

It is repairable, just have to get new prop, motor (tested bad after the wreck), motormount, elevons, all hatch covers and some glue for some of the foam. It looks a little rougher (now it looks more like the others at the field) and now I will probably get some led lights and make a night flying Stryker out of it, but thought I would pass it along.

Was actually pretty cool to see it blow in mid flight, wish I had a video of it and could see it in slow motion!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Yertology

I too had my stryker come apart in the middle of a flight. I was at full throttle, inverted and at a high altitude (probable around 100mph). My servos are set a 85%, so when I applied full up elevator it was more than the stock elevon connectors could take. The 2 clasps closest to the control horn PULLED OUT OF THE WING! Needless to say, with only half of the control surfaces working properly it hit very hard.

So for any of who enjoy pushing your stryker to the limits (which is most of you).. glue down your elevon tabs.