What Brand & Type Of Radio Do You Use. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What Brand & Type Of Radio Do You Use.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Question What Brand & Type Of Radio Do You Use.

This Is Just A little poll to find out what radio equipment evertone uses.

Futaba - 6EXA - 72mhz
Futaba - 4EXA - 72mhz
Futaba - 6FG - 72mhz AM
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

None of the above.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 PM
bassmanh
electrified

hi,

also none of the above.

i use the futaba 2.4g 7c, a jr 5 chanell 72mh, hitec flash 5 72mh, along with a couple other hitec and futabas

bassman
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

None of the above, All POLK 4 me.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Spektrum DX7
JR SX600
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
blackbird939

I JUST bought a Dx6i.. I love it .. so far. I was able to figure everything out without the manual.. also just "so far"
Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Switched from a Hitec Prizm 7 to a Spektrum DX6i about 6 months ago. I'm pretty happy with the Spektrum. I've never experience a problem with servo jitters nor any lock-outs (I'm careful to make sure my electronics has plenty of power).

The one type of problem I have had, and it's happened three times, is that the model programming seems to somehow loose a few details when switching models. The first time it happened some kids had been playing around with the radio so I assumed they messed it up. But the other two times I'm sure that was not the case. In one case an elevon mix was changed to a duel aileron or something and one servo channel was reversed. Drove me nuts until I went meticulously through every programming item in that model. In the other case a duel aileron setup got changed to something else and a couple of channels were reversed. That airplane crashed on takeoff, twice, before I finally got all the details corrected.

I've become much more careful about my preflight checks. I had gotten careless and was often doing nothing more than flipping the sticks to make sure everything twitched. Of course, since I've gotten careful, I haven't had ANY problems at all! I use AR6100's on the small and slow stuff and AR6200's on the bigger and faster stuff.

I had a pretty good support experience with Spektrum Service. I had two AR6100's that each had a problem with one channel not making reliable connection to the servo/esc cable. One of them was in a group of 3 receivers I bought on eBay and the seller had noted the problem. I went for the set anyway because it was still a good deal even if I only got two working receivers. The two problem receivers were older units so I sent them in and requested that they repair them and also update the firmware version. I waited about a month but the package I received contained two NEW AR6100's AND a bonus 3-channel surface radio.

I actually have two DX6i's which I try to keep programmed the same. I use the second as a buddy box. And, since I keep them both programmed for all my models, I have a spare transmitter ready to use simply by re-binding each receiver to it! In fact, on one occasion I left home without my main transmitter. I simply bound the model I wanted to fly to my "buddy box" and I was ready to go.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

started out with a Hitec Laser 4 a few years back, well actually a GWS radio was my first "real" radio int he 72mhz range.

Moved out of those into a Spektrum DX6, the original. Liked it so much I got one for my son too.

Since then our planes have grown and now we both have Spektrum DX7's. I have had very good luck with these and would highly recommend them to anyone.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Started with a Futaba radio that came as part of my RTF Hobbico Electristar. As soon as I solo'd I pulled the RX out and replaced it with a Spektrum AR7000 that came with my Spektrum DX7. That will be replaced with a Spektrum AR6200 soon, to free up my AR7000 for my MiniUltraStick that I need 7 channel slots for.

Now, I use my DX7 for everything I fly, except the Parkzone Cessna that had it's own transmitter. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

sounds like you have an early DX6i, my first one would lose model settings if i flipped the roller while pressed. I sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one. I'm sending in #2 and #3 because they have the model 9-10 bug (they share the same bind ID so model match doesn't work). They have updated the software for the DX6i at least once since the originals came out. I do still have an issue on mine where the timer will go from being Down 6 min to UP 6 min which is frustrating.

Great radio, still has software kinks.

Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Switched from a Hitec Prizm 7 to a Spektrum DX6i about 6 months ago. I'm pretty happy with the Spektrum. I've never experience a problem with servo jitters nor any lock-outs (I'm careful to make sure my electronics has plenty of power).

The one type of problem I have had, and it's happened three times, is that the model programming seems to somehow loose a few details when switching models. The first time it happened some kids had been playing around with the radio so I assumed they messed it up. But the other two times I'm sure that was not the case. In one case an elevon mix was changed to a duel aileron or something and one servo channel was reversed. Drove me nuts until I went meticulously through every programming item in that model. In the other case a duel aileron setup got changed to something else and a couple of channels were reversed. That airplane crashed on takeoff, twice, before I finally got all the details corrected.

I've become much more careful about my preflight checks. I had gotten careless and was often doing nothing more than flipping the sticks to make sure everything twitched. Of course, since I've gotten careful, I haven't had ANY problems at all! I use AR6100's on the small and slow stuff and AR6200's on the bigger and faster stuff.

I had a pretty good support experience with Spektrum Service. I had two AR6100's that each had a problem with one channel not making reliable connection to the servo/esc cable. One of them was in a group of 3 receivers I bought on eBay and the seller had noted the problem. I went for the set anyway because it was still a good deal even if I only got two working receivers. The two problem receivers were older units so I sent them in and requested that they repair them and also update the firmware version. I waited about a month but the package I received contained two NEW AR6100's AND a bonus 3-channel surface radio.

I actually have two DX6i's which I try to keep programmed the same. I use the second as a buddy box. And, since I keep them both programmed for all my models, I have a spare transmitter ready to use simply by re-binding each receiver to it! In fact, on one occasion I left home without my main transmitter. I simply bound the model I wanted to fly to my "buddy box" and I was ready to go.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
sounds like you have an early DX6i, my first one would lose model settings if i flipped the roller while pressed. I sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one. I'm sending in #2 and #3 because they have the model 9-10 bug (they share the same bind ID so model match doesn't work). They have updated the software for the DX6i at least once since the originals came out. I do still have an issue on mine where the timer will go from being Down 6 min to UP 6 min which is frustrating.

Great radio, still has software kinks.
Hmmm, Thanks. I haven't gotten past model memory 8 yet and hadn't heard about the issue. I'll have to check it out.

I have noticed that the roller seems to suffer from "bounce" sometimes. The programming losses I experienced, though, would happen strictly by switching from one model to another without going into any of the programming menu items.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
KeithTX

Futaba 6EXA, 72Mhz
Futaba T4YBF, 72Mhz

Assorted 27Mhz TX laying round from some early RTFs.

-Keith
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Spektrum DX6 all the way.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
1320fastback

JR SX600, 72Mhz used on my two planes. Never a glitch, never a problem.

Also have a small FP heli on 27Mhz...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

All Hitec:
2 Laser 4's
2 Flash 5 SX's
1 Eclipse 7 w/Spectra module.

I'm taking advantage of the recent surge of cheap 72mhz stuff from the 2.4 switchover AND I also am living it up at our field cause my channels are all open now!!!!!!
With the 3 computer radio's I have every model covered in memory and then some

Soon I'll have 72 band all to myself.....mmmuuuuuuuhahahahhahhaaaaaaa LOL.

--Ray
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hitec Optic 6 with a Spectrum DM-8 module, AR6100's in the air...love it. I also have a Hitec Neon I use on my combat planes. Eventually I would like to see if I can buddy box the Neon and Optic broadcasting on 2.4.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Multiplex EVO 12

Hitec Optic 6 w/Spectrum ( retired radio )
LOL I was about to ask why you retired the Optic/Spectrum, then I looked at Multiplex EVO 12 again...no further explanation necessary .
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Futaba 6XH for mechanical mixed heli's
Futaba 6EXHP for everything else
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Futaba FGK 7 'Gold' 72.670mHz FM narrow certified
Futaba TX6A 72.910mHz FM/PCM
HiTec Laser 6 75.890mHz FM (scale surface)
JR X9303 2.4Ghz
Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

I've been through a lot...
Started with an Airtonrics VG600...Went to Hitec Eclipse 7. Won a Futaba 9C..Got rid of the VG600 due to not needing it. Liquidated the 9C after it cost me a couple of planes for no discernable reason. I switched to JR with a 6102. After that I got a 9303 JR.

I had a DX7 briefly, and got rid of it. Right now I have the 9303, all synthesized with PCM only receivers, and the JR 6102 with an Assan hack module on 2.4ghz.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

JR X9303 2.4Ghz and Spektrum DX7 for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

a 10 year old Hitech laser and a 8 year old futaba skysport, a JR from 1984 as well! Believe it or not I like the old Parkzone 5 ch as well,, It was a gift to the my kids club an getts a Work-Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!bubsteve
Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Still amazes me the problems there are with the DX6i that aren't there with the DX7. Other than the LCD going black every once in awhile (probably the result of me dropping it onto concrete) I have never had a problem with the mechanics or the code.

On the other hand my friend Capt Easy has sent his DX6i back for service twice and cannot seem to keep those trim rockers from snapping no matter what he does.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

The DX7 is based around the 6102 and 7203. Those have been out plenty of time to iron out the problems around it. As far as I know the DX6i doesn't share components with any other radio. Unless it's one of the Sport models I've never used.

That's part of the reason I converted my 6102. I love the radio. Programming and function is no different from a DX7, minus the 7th channel, and a few other small differences.

Both my JR's have broken a trim switch at one point...I assume they all have essentially the same switch in them.

Quick Reply: What Brand & Type Of Radio Do You Use.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16484 seconds with 12 queries