My 2nd Plane suggestions wanted - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

My 2nd Plane suggestions wanted

Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM
downbutnotout24

Default My 2nd Plane suggestions wanted

about 2 years ago i bought a firebird commander pretty basic 2ch plane. i was wondering what a good next plane would be im looking for something that can handle wind okay but still pretty easy to fly. i also would like something that i can eventually do some tricks with to keep me occupied and challenged. taking into consideration i havent flown in about a year because of a job i never had the time. im not looking to spend much more than 250 bucks and havent really had any expiriance assembling a plane from scratch or an ARF. anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 AM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

Slow stick and then upgrade to the Slow Stick X.. Or just do what I would and jump to the SSX.. It's awsome and easy to build..fly and all..

LATER
You can always find the parts you need BATTS chargers and such on here.. Just post you need something..
Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 AM
downbutnotout24

thanks a lot for the suggestion. im going to look into that
Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Welcome to Wattflyer!

That may be pretty ambitious for that one and come in under 250.

You could always get a Supercub RTF and have one of the best trainers out there. Anything you get is going to be vastly different than a 2 channel Firebird, and the Supercub has helped many a folk get a good foothold in the hobby!

and it's cheap too at $160!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

It will not be able to do full aerobatics but that's not what you need right now. At that price you can learn, and upgrade to more aerobatic stuff later.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 AM
downbutnotout24

yeah that one looks a little more my style im looking more for aileron control also but something i can learn on my own with im not really looking to use an instructor
Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

If you want Ailerons you could go with the GWS Estarter

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHCL2&P=ML

get rid of the goofy looking gws wheels and put some nice foam ones on it and she's a looker and a flyer!

My son learned aileron flight on this bird.

You could get set up with a Hitec Laser radio, plane, charger, battery and esc for under $250.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:50 AM
downbutnotout24

how does this plane look...im not sure if its 4ch or 3 http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=MPU13209
Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It says it 3 channel with an option for 4, ailerons... Don't know if that means you can do it with the supplied radio or not though.

Nice looking plane. I am not familiar with it though
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Leo L

Downbutnotout24,

Welcome back to R/C flying!

Many people feel that they can save some money by buying an aileron equipped plane right from the start. For some this works out, but they are the exception rather than the rule. An aileron plane is significantly more difficult for a beginner to control because it lacks the self-righting characteristic of the 3-channnel beginner plane. If you are dead-set on starting with an aileron plane, the two best are the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag) which you had a link to in an earlier post, and the ParkZone T-28 Trojan.

If you can be persuaded to start with a true beginner plane, the two best are the Multiplex EasyStar and the HobbyZone SuperCub. Other good beginner planes, but not as good as these two, are the: Aerobird3, T-hawk; SloStick and Slow-V.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That's another nice thing about the Estarter. It has enough dihedral in the wing that you can build it as a 3 channel to start and not cutout the ailerons. Get used to it and then add them later.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
kimeza
Kimeza

Easy Star then T-28!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
madwebtvscientist

Default Great Second Plane

downbutnotout, this url brings up an airplane that might be useful for your purposes (post # 14):
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...864#post391864

There are other planes available that may also be of interest. I am particularly fond of the Accipiter Badius design because it is so easy to modify it to perform all of the "warbird maneuvers" that I like to fly. I also enjoy their use in demos to show prospective new modelers just what a slightly modified "beginner's airplane" can be made to do. At this point in my R/C career my "beginner planes" are ahead of my "warbird planes" in the performance of warbird maneuvers (I now own two models of aircraft that are credited with enemy kills).

There are a lot of ways to enjoy modeling today, just don't let anything (or anyone) discourage you.

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I started out with the AiroBird-3, and when I asked your question the most popular responce I got was the MP Easy Star. Not too aerobatic out of the box, but extremly versitile, You get a 3-Ch trainer, park flyer, sloper and thermal sailplane all in one simply by fooling with the CoG. It can be easilly modified with ailerons, flaps, more powerful electronics, motor, props the list of modifications are endless. Just check out the Easy Star threads (plural, there are over thirty, 500+ posts each) on RC groups.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 AM
ddfwaj
Fast Foamies !!!

Originally Posted by downbutnotout24 View Post
about 2 years ago i bought a firebird commander pretty basic 2ch plane. i was wondering what a good next plane would be im looking for something that can handle wind okay but still pretty easy to fly. i also would like something that i can eventually do some tricks with to keep me occupied and challenged. taking into consideration i havent flown in about a year because of a job i never had the time. im not looking to spend much more than 250 bucks and havent really had any expiriance assembling a plane from scratch or an ARF. anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Hey downbutnotout24,

I know this wont be popular (being an electric site) but a nice 4 ch gas plane like an Superstar 40 or similar would make a good plane and will more than meet your budget.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 AM
ddfwaj
Fast Foamies !!!

Oh and if gas isn't your thing than maybe an Easystar

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML

Not a bad plane plus you can convert into an AP plane later

Later,

Dennis